Thread Tools
Sep 27, 2012, 05:41 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Sweet project! Ignore the haters; they're just jealous. None of them want to try taking on a project this big, so they belittle the efforts of those who do.

What construction method are you planning for the wing?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2012, 06:43 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Keenan smith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Sweet project! Ignore the haters; they're just jealous. None of them want to try taking on a project this big, so they belittle the efforts of those who do.

What construction method are you planning for the wing?
Thanks C4h10 Nice to see someone not being negative welcome aboard..

The wing construction technique will consist of a hotwired Blu-foam core and balsa sheeting epoxied onto the foam core and then fitted with balsa leading edges and Then A nice Juicy carbon spar to hold it together

K
Last edited by Keenan smith; Sep 27, 2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Correcting capitalizations..
Sep 27, 2012, 06:57 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Interesting. Gonna take a lot of balsa and epoxy to do that whole wing. How much are you estimating the wing to weigh once it's complete (with servos/finish/hardware), and what thickness/area/density of individual balsa sheets will you be using?
Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Keenan smith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Interesting. Gonna take a lot of balsa and epoxy to do that whole wing. How much are you estimating the wing to weigh once it's complete (with servos/finish/hardware), and what thickness/area/density of individual balsa sheets will you be using?
About 800g-900 per wing or so ill probably use 3/32 contest grade balsa sheets

K
Last edited by Keenan smith; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Capitalizations .. again
Sep 27, 2012, 07:18 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Keenan smith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced
Go back to watching playschool little man ! We build and fly here !
Wow your such a big man! only Bullies pick on people younger than themselves... and usually its because they have they own insecurities to deal with
Now can we P..Lease remain on topic ...

K
Last edited by Keenan smith; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Sep 27, 2012, 07:25 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
800-900g? Are you only sheeting one side of the wing? Doing both sides, your balsa sheeting alone will weigh around 1.2-1.5lbs.
Sep 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Keenan smith's Avatar
i mean 800-900g dry I'e without servos and finishing im expecting about 1100g finished per wing
and yes im sheeting both sides..
K

Sorry for the confusion..
Last edited by Keenan smith; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Caps
Sep 27, 2012, 07:32 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Cool. What airfoil section are you using? This is neat...

I sort of ask a lot of questions
Sep 27, 2012, 07:32 AM
Its all fun
Tonystott's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
800-900g? Are you only sheeting one side of the wing? Doing both sides, your balsa sheeting alone will weigh around 1.2-1.5lbs.
And the cracks in your belief start....
Sep 27, 2012, 07:35 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Keenan smith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Cool. What airfoil section are you using? This is neat...

I sort of ask a lot of questions
Questions are fine...! ( i ask alotof questions myself but that how you learn
Im going to be using an SG6041 Airfoil

See below (its a glider airfoil)

K
Sep 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Keenan smith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
And the cracks in your belief start....
Well Sorry But i used to Work in Pounds and Ounce and Have been Forcing myself to use the metric system as its Simpler.. (so that may explain the Slight underestimate aswell as a small mis-understanding

now as said earlier please stay on topic

K
Sep 27, 2012, 08:00 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Piece's Avatar
Yeah, nothing wrong with simple errors, eh? Everyone's done it.

How did you calculate the weight of the finished wing panels?
Sep 27, 2012, 08:11 AM
was geht , müssen unten kommen
Keenan smith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀
Yeah, nothing wrong with simple errors, eh? Everyone's done it.

How did you calculate the weight of the finished wing panels?
it was just guesstimate For the Time Being..
Sep 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDFHobbies
Well Sorry But i used to Work in Pounds and Ounce and Have been Forcing myself to use the metric system as its Simpler.. (so that may explain the Slight underestimate aswell as a small mis-understanding

now as said earlier please stay on topic

K
Haha! You're supposidly from Great Britain but you're used to using pounds/ounces... You're an American! Although I still think the funniest give-away is the 17 foot wingspan, lol.
Sep 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
York Electronics
Gary Warner's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDFHobbies
it was just guesstimate For the Time Being..
When I gave my examples of a balsa sheeted foam wing, I was using white 1 pound expanded polystyrene foam, not 2 pound extruded foam. You might reconsider the guessed weight to be closer to 20-25 square inches per ounce at this scale... maybe even less (I haven't put the numbers to a calculator yet). The foam has a way of adding a lot of weight as scale increases, due to higher ratio of extra internal cubic fill-space as square inches increase. You might be better off using a hollowed out core instead of a solid core.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 1/5 scale FPV MQ-9 Reaper and Soon Autonomos flight Keenan smith UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 9 Mar 19, 2013 04:07 PM
For Sale MQ-9 Reaper 98" 7-CH Brushless Remote Control RC UAV Predator/Drone Airplane ARF Kit Rattler767 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 23, 2012 11:30 AM
Discussion 5M MQ-9 Reaper For FPV and Soon Autonomos flight Keenan smith Scale Kit/Scratch Built 3 Sep 12, 2012 09:46 AM
For Sale Re-list MQ-9 Reaper 98" UAV Predator/Drone Airplane Rattler767 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 03, 2012 02:45 AM
Discussion Any Mq-9/Mq-1 Reaper/Predator foamie builds? Remy130 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 4 Aug 23, 2012 12:50 PM