Sep 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
Team Horizon
Thread OP
Discussion

Top Flite Giant Scale FW-190 Electrified!!

Ok guys, here we go. I just did an electric conversion to the Top Flite Giant Scale FW-190 which some of you might have seen at NEAT. After seeing the first prototype of the Top Flite FW-190, I knew it would be a great choice to convert to electric power. By having the hatch up on top it was the natural candidate for the E conversion.

If you guys would like I will also go into how we detailed and weathered the FW-190.

By the way this is a true electric conversion in that I also used the new Robart Electric Retracts.

Here are a few pics!
Last edited by DanLandis; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typo
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2012, 10:35 AM
That's a great looking FW-190A; I somehow completely missed that Top Flite was doing a giant scale Anton.

Definitely looks better than the KMP 190 ARF. How much bashing was required for the e-conversion?

I'm a long way away from being able to deal with an 85" span plane, but I'd still be interested in seeing more about this guy.

Edit: found elsewhere on the 'net: It's based off an FW-190 A3 3-view. Can be converted to an A4+ variant by moving the cowl ~30mm forward, and changing the radio mast on the tail to the "spike" design.
Last edited by WRXpilot; Sep 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Sep 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
looks like it has a hatch, in my opinion that makes it a e-ready. Hatches are like 75% of the issue.
Sep 21, 2012, 11:25 AM
Team Horizon
Thread OP
Hi Guys,

There was no real bashing at all required. Just a dremal to remove a little bit of wood from the top former to get the packs in. I am using 2x 6s 5300mah packs to make the 12s so I mad up a plate that they go onto then the plate keys into the front and holds them vertically with a Velcro strap around them.

More Pics.....
Sep 21, 2012, 11:38 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
This is spectacular! Thank you for sharing this wonderful conversion with us. If you have video please put some up. If not, please make some.

Orion
Sep 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
Team Horizon
Thread OP
I will work on getting some video. Not sure if anyone at NEAT might have gotten any of the flights.

Happy to share, it flies great!!
Sep 21, 2012, 11:47 AM
I know this is electric now but seeing how big it is, I wonder if there is a radial engine that will fit in it.
Sep 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
The sky is my playground.
I saw this at NEAT the other day, very, very cool. The scale nuts will find this or that "wrong " with the model, but I am very impressed. If you can, guys, vote with your wallet. From what I understood, the folks at Great Planes faught tooth and nail to have Luftwaffe fighter made.
Sep 21, 2012, 12:06 PM
Well I am a scale nut and while I do see certain things, I don't care. This is magnificent to see this size. I only wish my wallet was big enough to vote with.
Sep 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
Believe me when I say, that I understand. I'm adding this one up as I speak and I'm hoping for a good end of the year bonus from work to be able to afford it.

Dan: is there a chance we could get a servo list. The gentleman I spoke with said you guys had high voltage servos installed, but the TF website lists standard servos.
Sep 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
Team Horizon
Thread OP
Hi Dora Nine,

The wing is 4x S.Bus Futaba BLS272HV's servos and the tail is 3x BLS156HV Servos. They are all being run on a straight 2s LiPo with no problem along with the Robart Electric Retracts.
Sep 21, 2012, 02:26 PM
Dan... I have been looking at this model and would really enjoy seeing as much info as you want to share. I am just starting to get into the bigger built up birds and this would help greatly.
Sep 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLandis
Hi Dora Nine,

The wing is 4x S.Bus Futaba BLS272HV's servos and the tail is 3x BLS156HV Servos. They are all being run on a straight 2s LiPo with no problem along with the Robart Electric Retracts.
Thank you. Added to the shopping list.
Sep 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
Team Horizon
Thread OP
Sounds good my friend! If you have any other questions please let me know. I can get pics or anything else you guys want.

Quick Reply