Meeting Minutes for September 18
September 18, 2012 meeting
Room N3005 at Salt Lake County Complex
Meeting started at about 7:10pm
Conducting: Scott Hinckley, Vice President
Upcoming Events and Calendar changes:
1. F3F TK Cup slope racing on September 22 has been postponed
No one knows when Tauno will arrive in Utah, so the TK Cup will be announced when his attendance is finalized
2. The Thermal Duration Pro-Am with CD Tom Hoopes will be on either September 29 or October 6, depending on the TK Cup date. This winch-launched event pairs an Expert pilot with a Novice or Sportsman pilot, with the scores being added together to determine the winning team. The idea is to help the less-experienced pilot fly better in a contest situation.
3. October 6 is scheduled to be a MOM slope race. It will probably be combined with the TK Cup. See #1 above.
4. The last aerotow is scheduled for October 13.
5. The last ALES contest, with Tom Hoopes as CD, is scheduled for October 27.
6. There is a tentative Turkey Shoot scheduled for November 10 or 17, depending on weather. Scott Hinckley is the CD. This is a fun-fly event, not counting towards year-end points, that will include both electric airplanes and gliders—the events flown will be modified for airplane type. Turkeys are the prizes.
7. A really good idea was put forward concerning contest attendance. Before the next contest, like a week or 2, ask for a online commitment of attendance. Names will be listed, which tends to get others interested. If there is a minimum number of people who express an interest, then the event may be cancelled. That means that people have to SPEAK UP; not saying you will be there, but planning on it, then getting mad if the event is cancelled will just not make it.
Problem: which online site will be used to collect this list? I suggest we start with the IMSF RC Groups site, with individuals putting links to that site in other places, such as the RC Groups POM site, and the IMSF Yahoo! groups site.
Date: Tuesday, December 11, 7-9pm
Location: Chuck-A-Rama in Draper, just off the 12300 exist of I-15
Cost: $12 per adult, $10 for seniors, $.75/year for minors; the club will pick up the cost of the room, gratuities, etc., so this is a discount from the total cost of the meal.
IMPORTANT: The club needs to pay for a minimum of 30 people for the reserved room. It was decided at the meeting that the dinner will go on if at least 25 people pay by November 1. Less than that = cancelled dinner/raffle/etc.
The Intent to Attend list at the meeting had 14 attendees listed—members, wives/girlfriends, children, etc.
Raffle prizes: those in attendance gave permission to spend up to $300 of club funds on prizes. If you have items you are not using at home you may donate them to the raffle (I will have a built 3D electric—minus receiver & battery—that will be given away). MRS will sell us gift certificates at a 50% discount.
Nominations & Elections:
Nominations for officers will take place at the October and November meetings. Elections will be done at the November meeting.
Our club has been on life support for 2 years, to the point that I (Scott) am effectively the President, Vice President, and Secretary this year. What can YOU do to help? What do you want to see happen? I would like to see everyone get along better—thermal, slope, DLG, electric, whatever. Without an AMA-sponsored club, there is a high probability of losing flying site rights, which hurts everyone.
I will start a thread on the IMSF RC Groups site, coordinated with the IMSF Yahoo! groups message board, where ideas can be bounced around in a CIVIL manner.
The remainder of the meeting was spent showing photos and videos of Soar Utah, and talking about what happened and what worked well. It was all very positive.
Next month, October 16:
Nomination of officers (to be continued in November, with elections in November)
Tom Hoopes will present information on CG, balance, incidence, decalage, etc. Or in other words, How to Get Your Airplane Flying Right.
Bring new airplanes to show off!
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||September meeting||Schwemmer||Inland Slope Rebels||20||Sep 28, 2012 09:50 PM|
|Discussion||Meeting minutes, March 20||shinck||Intermountain Silent Flyers||1||Mar 23, 2012 10:40 AM|
|Discussion||February 21 meeting minutes plus||shinck||Intermountain Silent Flyers||6||Mar 10, 2012 11:35 AM|
|Discussion||Meeting for September||Carlski||Inland Slope Rebels||3||Sep 18, 2008 05:31 PM|