Wright Flyers - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 28, 2014, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic
Hope this helps.
Vic
Yes, thanks, it did.
Now, next question: What size wire did you use for the swing wing servo?
Online he says 1/16th inch. In the manual it's .050.

Is anyone else flying theirs yet?

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2014, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavitation
Yes, thanks, it did.
Now, next question: What size wire did you use for the swing wing servo?
Online he says 1/16th inch. In the manual it's .050.

Is anyone else flying theirs yet?

Paul
I think I used some 1/16th inch that was laying around. Not critical.
May 08, 2014, 02:58 PM
Vic,
Here is the result of your assistance. It may have a fatal flaw, but time will tell.

Paul
May 08, 2014, 08:09 PM

F-14 Club Project

Paul, glad to see you finished the F-14. It looks good in the photo. There is a proud youngster holding the model. Is that your son?

What is the "fatal flaw" that you mentioned? I hope it proves not to be fatal. If the weather is good, I will be at the field tomorrow. Hope to see you there with your plane.

Vic
May 08, 2014, 08:35 PM
Vic, that's my grandson. He wanted to fly it in the back yard. We opted for a hand launched glider.
I didn't pay attention to the screw direction in the swing servo arm extension. it never occurred to me that grinding off the excess that protrudes above the arm was important. When installed from above the head sticks up and interferes with the swing. Maybe if I cycle it enough it will wear a path in the foam.
Got a funeral to attend tomorrow so first flight has to wait.

Paul
May 09, 2014, 08:30 AM

Trimming the screws

OOPS! I hope there was not a lot of screw sticking up. However, as you said, the screws may cut a groove in the foam as the servo is cycled back and forth. You may be OK.
Jul 07, 2014, 06:47 AM

Stuart Vasco Bruce - Prop Accident

10:11pm Jul 6
I did more damage then I thought. They had to do a skin graft on the thumb. The forefinger only needed stitches. The operation went well and the thumb is doing fine. Let everyone know I'm doing great. Should be flying a couple of weeks after the cast comes off next monday.
Jul 07, 2014, 07:02 AM

Allen Larson's F-14

One of the "winter" project builders finished his F-14. Allen took it out for a successful maiden recently. Great job Allen!
Jul 07, 2014, 04:17 PM
Whoa! What happened to Stu? Was this recent?
Aug 11, 2014, 09:45 AM

Stu

Stu is recovering fine. However, he will not be flying for several months due to loss of feeling in his injured thumb.
Aug 11, 2014, 09:52 AM

Weekday Flyers??

I am wondering if there are any flyers who would like to join me to fly during weekdays at wright flyers. To my amazement, there are only a few other flyers who come out during the week to fly in the mornings and afternoon. A couple of guys fly late in the evening after work.

I generally fly at least 2 days during the week between 10:00am and 2:00pm. Maybe we can set up a weekday flyers group to fly regularly at our field. Please leave me a message if you would like to join me during the week.
Aug 15, 2014, 08:32 AM

Electric Motor Kill Switch

Electric planes are becoming more popular due to the reduced price of electric motors, ESCs and foam airplanes. It is very important to continue to show the same respect for the electric plane propeller as with the glow planes.

The most effective way to "kill" the electric motor is to remove power from the ESC with a safety switch (plug). This device disconnects power between the main Lipo battery and the ESC.

Another method is to use an ESC that comes with a kill switch. Dualsky and other manufacturers install a switch that electronically disconnects power between the main Lipo battery and the motor.

A third method is to use the "Throttle Kill" function on programmable transmitters. This is usually a program mix that disables the throttle stick on the transmitter. Although this does not remove power from the motor, it effectively renders the throttle stick inoperable therefore preventing accidental motor starting if the throttle stick is accidentally moved.

You should use one of these methods for electric motor safety so that you can walk to/and from flight-line carrying your model safely.

Better safe than sorry!
Vic
Dec 22, 2014, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavitation
Vic,
Here is the result of your assistance. It may have a fatal flaw, but time will tell.

Paul
PAUL, did you get yours in the air yet?
Jun 04, 2015, 09:16 AM

Field Photos

Took a few shoots of the field from my quad.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Apr 10, 2016 at 05:34 AM.
Jan 02, 2016, 07:16 AM

UAS Registration

Lot's of questions floating around about the FAA registration requirements. Here are a few questions with answers:

QUESTION: What is a UAS?
ANSWER: A UAS is the unmanned aircraft (UA) and all of the associated support equipment, control station, data links, telemetry, communications and navigation equipment, etc., necessary to operate the unmanned aircraft. The UA is the flying portion of the system, flown by a pilot via a ground control system, or autonomously through use of an on-board computer, communication links and any additional equipment that is necessary for the UA to operate safely. The FAA issues an experimental airworthiness certificate for the entire system, not just the flying portion of the system.

QUESTION: What aircraft are required to be registered by the FAA?
ANSWER: Any aircraft weighing more than .55 pounds but less than 55 pounds that is controlled by a radio controlled signal. This includes multi-rotor, Helicopters and fixed wing models. Control Line and Free-flight models are exempt. (as stated in the AMA video).

QUESTION: Do I need approval from the FAA to fly a model aircraft for recreation or hobby?
ANSWER: No, but your aircraft must be registered if it weighs more than 0.55 lbs. FAA guidance also says that model aircraft should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, should be kept within visual line of sight of the operator, should weigh under 55 lbs. unless certified by an aeromodeling community-based organization, and cannot be used for business purposes.

QUESTION: What is the legal deadline for registering?
ANSWER: The legal deadline for registering a UAS is February 19, 2016.

These answers are contained in the FAA registration requirements as of 12/21/15. Additional questions and answers are included in the attached file.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jan 02, 2016 at 01:30 PM.