Sep 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Thread OP
Question

Spirit of St Louis

I am wanting a very nice scale project of the Spirit of St. Louis. I have found one from 3 See Bees (Link Below). Has anyone had any experience with this company or the model it self? They are pricey but they seem to be cream of the crop.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Mike

http://www.3seabees.com/ryannyp.html
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2012, 06:50 AM
Supersonic Engineering
My friend, Bob, has had one of these for several years now. It flies OK, but time seems to have exposed one or two weak points. I'll point him to your post, so he may well reply directly before long. Last time I enquired of the company, I never got a response.
Sep 20, 2012, 07:57 AM
BEFAFLIGHT
Hi I am the friend of Gordon that has a K&W Sprit of St Louis, in fact it is the 2nd prototype that was displayed at the Nuremberg toy fair in 2001 by Kavan. There is a video on YouTube and I have photos on my web site www.rlmahoney.co.uk if you want more info please email at robertAT and the rest will be my web site address.

Robert
Last edited by Robert mahoney; Sep 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:00 AM
More Speed Indeed!
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Robert mahoney;22783666]Hi I am the friend Gordon that has a K&W Sprit of St Louis, in fact it is the 2nd prototype that was displayed at the Nuremberg toy fair in 2001 by Kavan. There is a video on YouTube and I have photos on my web site www.rlmahoney.co.uk if you want more info please email at robertAT and the rest will be my web site address.

Robert

Hi Robert,
I found the You Tube video, looked pretty nice. It looked as if the glide ratio was not that good, once the power was reduced it seemed to drop? Anyway, I soon should have mine up in the air!
Mike
Ryan NYP "Spirit Of St Louis" (3 min 0 sec)
Sep 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
BEFAFLIGHT
Hi Mike, re the glide, that a cut in the video and a small field, after take off you are over the North Sea and a cliff, also look at the elevator on landing! A few points, where are the servos in the wing, I have put mine outboard with a direct link to the aileron, not inboard as the cable comes off the pully on a very hot day! And have you reinforced the wing struts as they can flex and break at the wing end on landing. Mine is powered by an Aveox 1415 2y and there gearbox 3.77 to 1. Power comes from 21 Nicads 3000 SCR (no Li-polys in 2001). It is still flying after 11 years. Watch out re CG as its forward of what they say!

Regards Robert
Last edited by Robert mahoney; Sep 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Sep 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert mahoney
Hi Mike, re the glide, that a cut in the video and a small field, after take off you are over the North Sea and a cliff, also look at the elevator on landing! A few points, where are the servos in the wing, I have put mine outboard with a direct link to the aileron, not inboard as the cable comes off the pully on a very hot day! And have you reinforced the wing struts as they can flex and break at the wing end on landing. Mine is powered by an Aveox 1415 2y and there gearbox 3.77 to 1. Power comes from 21 Nicads 3000 SCR (no Li-polys in 2001). It is still flying after 11 years. Watch out re CG as its forward of what they say!

Regards Robert
Hi Robert,
The wing servos are near the center section (inboard), not as you have done outboard. I have NOT reinforced the struts, they are as called out in the instructions.
Where do you have your CG, and about how much does yours weigh. Mine is at 14 pounds, I am using 8s 5800 mAh lipo batteries.
Thanks for all the information that you have been providing, have a good weekend.
Mike

Quick Reply