Nov 28, 2003, 12:37 AM

Which Futaba 9C for right-handed DLG?

Iím 90% sure that my next radio will be a Futaba 9C. The only question remaining is which configuration is best for a right-handed DLG flier?

I thought I had this sorted out, having read a few places that the switch locations on the 9CH made it better suited for sailplanes. Is this also the case for DLG? I'm confused because recently I read comments in this forum from a left-handed DLG flier (Leverick) indicating that the 9CH switches were ideally located for him (as a left-hander). So, before I order the wrong configuration, can someone help straighten me out on this?

(Also, I had started off saying that I was 90% sure about the 9C. The other 10% is still thinking about the Airtronics RD8000 so if thereís anyone out there who can make a direct comparison between the two for DLG, it would be much appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2003, 11:49 AM
Landings are not optional
I know that many guys like the 9C in the helicopter version, because it puts the spring switch on thye left side, great for launch preset.

I don't know the differences between the 9c and the RD8000, I would take the 9c just because all my planes are negative shift.

I do know that Mark Drela flys the RD8000. Not that that menas it's beter, just that it is as capable as the 9C.

Go to a LHS and hold em both, play with the switches, programming, etc. That's the best way to find which fits you best.
Nov 28, 2003, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DeuceTrinal
I don't know the differences between the 9c and the RD8000, I would take the 9c just because all my planes are negative shift.

I do know that Mark Drela flys the RD8000. Not that that menas it's beter, just that it is as capable as the 9C.
For the record, I fly with the RD6000. The RDxxxx radios are shift-selectable, so they will work with your negative-shift RX's.

I don't know much about the 9C, but I think the RD6000 works quite well for DLG. The only real limitation is that there are only two free mixers. With a flaperon DLG, you have only one mixer left for doing the launch preset. Hence, you can preset only the elevator or the rudder, but not both. I have elevator preset, since my DLGs don't really need a rudder preset.

I'm now switching over the the Royal Evo, which is almost a perfect DLG radio -- it will do any setup you can dream of. One example: I have the aileron->rudder coupling dependent on the flap position. There's very little coupling with the
flaps up, and a lot of coupling with the flaps all the way down. The right stick then has good roll control for any flap position.
Nov 28, 2003, 05:26 PM
Landings are not optional
Quote:
Originally posted by markdrela
For the record, I fly with the RD6000.
DOH! That's what I get for not checking beafore posting...

I too am migrating to the Royal Evo 9. (Christmas rocks!) I think it'll probably be the last radio I need for a very long while - it does just about anything.