Nov 14, 2001, 04:30 PM
Thread OP

Avro Vulcan

Just seen this model in the December edition of Model Flyer (UK mag). The kits are available from mid November and the prototype has been flying on the UK show circuit this past Summer. Anyone seen this model fly? How does it perform?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2001, 11:17 PM
Clockwatcher - Tell us more! Is it a glider, pusher or EDF? hard to tell from the pic.
Nov 15, 2001, 06:53 AM
Wow! Can you you give us more info , who makes the kit, what size etc?

Please
George
Nov 15, 2001, 11:27 AM
crazy builder
WOW thats fantastic please tell us more. I have allways wanted a vulcan. Anyone who has seen the real thing will tell you the vucan is a great plane and if this model flys as good as it looks it's going to be great
Nov 15, 2001, 11:43 AM
Master
Get me the address FAST. I've got my credit card in my hand already.
Nov 15, 2001, 11:45 AM
From memory (I don't have the mag to hand at the moment) it's a twin S400 pusher, foam/veneer wings.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Nov 15, 2001, 02:58 PM
Get One Up!!!
According to Model Flyer it's being kitted by Graham Iredale- the same chap who produced the Speed 400 Vampire for last season and a pal of our very own ezoner Fly Electric aka Nigel Hawes (designer of the RCM&E Hawk and Tucano). Maybe Nigel will fill in some of the details if Graham doesn't happen along this way very often?

Brian
Nov 15, 2001, 05:19 PM
Thread OP

more info

Managed to get some more info on the kit. It uses the same power setup as the multiplex twinjet (2 xPermax 400's in pusher mode) and flight performance is similar. Its approximately 42 inch span. Wings are veneered foam. Fuselage is moulded plastic on a balsa/light-ply frame. I've seen a video of the model in flight and it looks awesome! Kit price is £60 and the manufacturer can be contacted on the following email address -
gbiredale@freenetname.co.uk
The kits will be available at the end of this month (I have one on order). Here's another pic to whet your appetite..
Nov 15, 2001, 08:35 PM
Way cool! I've converted a Pico Jet into a Vulcan (see avatar) but it would be great to have a much more accurate, larger, twin version!
Nov 19, 2001, 04:19 PM

vulcan

Hi my names Andy , i've been flying the vulcan round the shows this year for Graham. The model has been using 2400 8cell packs on standard 400's , it flys fantastic and looks right as well . it is very nice to fly and i have had over 60 flights with it , last week i flew it on 10 1250cells this gave it a very realistic climb out and made it very areobatic it looked a bit silly looping but it was good fun

Andy .
Nov 19, 2001, 06:34 PM

Re: vulcan

Quote:
Originally posted by wooly
it looked a bit silly looping but it was good fun
C'mon Andy! It shouldn't have looked silly :-)

When the real ones were employed as nuclear bombers, the delivery phase of their attack had them performing a half-loop and roll off the top, releasing the bomb whilst on the way up, at a nose-up angle of around 45 deg.

Having been lobbed thus, the bomb continued in a graceful parabolic arc up and over, before delivering its load of instant sunshine over the target. Meanwhile, having performed its Immelmann and thereby reversed its direction of travel, the plane would be high-tailing it to put as much distance as possible between it and the big bang.

All the V-bombers (Vulcan, Victor and Valiant) used this technique for launching their free-fall nukes at the time, and ther'e a video of the Farnborough airshows of the 1960s showing them all peforming the act (without the bombs )as part of the Farnborough airshow of the 1960s. As an airshow manoeuvre for a bomber, this looks totally awsome, and I can't resist winding the video back to repeat the sequence a couple more times when I have it on.

So loop the loop and roll off the top as much as you want - it's a scale manoeuvre! Just make 'em b-i-i-i-i-g!

BTW - it's a really good looking model you have there, and I hope it sells really well. A darn sight better looking than the Twin-jet and its Graupner clone!!

Cheers

Gordon
Nov 20, 2001, 06:33 AM
A must for all Vulcan fanciers!

WARPAINT no30

http://www.warpaint-books.com

The superb 3-view is A2 sized

Steve
Nov 20, 2001, 09:46 AM
Steve - your link doesn't seem to work, are you sure it's correct?

Angelo
Nov 20, 2001, 02:09 PM
Thread OP
The link worked fine when I tried it.......
Nov 21, 2001, 05:01 AM
REGISTERED LUNATIC!
Hi chaps,
Sorry i've only just found this thread Leccy!
I have briefly flown the latest evolution of this model with Pat Teakle's excellent wings and I can tell you it is a total pussycat once you get it away. Much nicer both to fly and to look at than the millionth TJ, A proper scale model for the same price? I know which I'd go for any day!
I think we'll be seeing rather a lot of these in 2002!
OK Graham IS a good mate but credit where its due, this is an outstanding model by anyone's standards.
Nige.

Quick Reply