Oct 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Pro Hoarder
Good luck with 234 3 views..I have set that is the best I could find an it aint much..but was enuff for my plug...twin 70 to 80mm
Latest blog entry: In flight
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2012, 04:06 AM
Thomas pleased to see that you are still building at warp speed. Just to encourage you if you haven't seen it there is some good video of John Greenfields 1:3 scale Horten between 3.05 and 7.04. Makes an impressive and rather scary plane to roll as you can see!!!

LARGE SCALE - HORTEN WING - CONCORD - ME 262 AT ROUGHAM RC PLANES - 2006 (9 min 23 sec)

John
Oct 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Peel'd all the peel-ply off the center section and wing last night. Gotta cap the inlets and cut the flaps and servo access hatch's free from the outer wing panels and then I can start spraying primer.

Also installed and shaped the Elevon leading edges and cut the hinge slots.
Oct 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
@ invertmast,

attached a photo of my AR-234 C3.

and a link to youtube

ARADO AR234 C 3 (4 min 16 sec)

I may help you by building a AR-234.

Heiner
Oct 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Heiner,
The 234 looks amazing! What haven't you guys built yet? I was thinking of the AR-234 B-1 for the simplicity of twin's instead of quads, and the fact that the last remaining example is only 2 hours away. The fuselage looks to be a fairly simple affair to build since it looks to be nearly flat on the sides. The wings looks like a good candidate for "cored" Foam cores as well as there does not appear to be any odd angles to them.

The biggest problem I can see, is finding a good set of 3-views that will also provide fuselage and wing station contour's..
Oct 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Right now I am waiting for retracts by BEHOTEC to set in the AR-234. My friends almost mounted the retracts in their AR-234. Next spring we will fly 3 of them, should be a good sound with 12 EDF 69 mm in the air.

Heiner
Oct 30, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Yes that will be pretty impressive. What is the wingspan, 72-80"?
Oct 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
Yes,

78 "
Oct 30, 2012, 05:36 PM
Pro Hoarder

Nope

that is the problem its not flat or the same shape front to back...more work than it looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast
Heiner,
The 234 looks amazing! What haven't you guys built yet? I was thinking of the AR-234 B-1 for the simplicity of twin's instead of quads, and the fact that the last remaining example is only 2 hours away. The fuselage looks to be a fairly simple affair to build since it looks to be nearly flat on the sides. The wings looks like a good candidate for "cored" Foam cores as well as there does not appear to be any odd angles to them.

The biggest problem I can see, is finding a good set of 3-views that will also provide fuselage and wing station contour's..
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thread OP
Yea i started to notice that as i started looking into more photos. Easy enough though to build it as a top/bottom or left/right half. Atleast the wing appears easy, especially as a foam wing
Oct 30, 2012, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
I don't do to much work on the RC stuff Mon-Fri as I try to use this time as famiily time and doing my house-hold chores so I get the weekend mostly free.. So tonights progress is:

All of the servo hatch's for both outer wing panels are cut out, lined with 3/16" square balsa "ledges" on the sides, then a 1/16" ply tongue is glued to the leading edges of the hatch's. I soak the edges of the wing skins and the hatch with thin CA to to strengthen them, then sand the edges with 220 grit. Thats all the prep they get before paint. I haven't decided on if these will be attached with a magnet or screws, but most likely they will be a pair of #2 screws on the aft edges of each hatch.

Then I put some primer on the center fuse section in the area's which the peel-ply typically doesn't conform to very well. these are the inside and outside edges and any area's which have allot of compound curves to them. The primer shows me where I need to place the first round of filler.

I am going to concentrate on getting the TE flaps on the outer wing panels cut out through the rest of the week. Then i will cap those with their LE's and the wing TE's (probably 1/64 or 1/32" ply), that way I can glass these area's and the elevon's LE. Then its on to lots of primer, filler, sand, prime, fill, you get the idea. I suspect paint the outer wing panels will be 90% completed and ready for final equipment install by the end of the year, and the center section molded by then as well.
Nov 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Are you going to try to fly with or without exhaust duct extensions? Been awhile but read that the EDF hortons don't fly very well without extending the ducts back. People just used clear mylar so you can't see them. Look foward to WOD next year.
Nov 02, 2012, 05:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb75
Are you going to try to fly with or without exhaust duct extensions? Been awhile but read that the EDF hortons don't fly very well without extending the ducts back. People just used clear mylar so you can't see them. Look foward to WOD next year.
We will be flying them initially with the extensions. Hopefully we will be able to eliminate them
Nov 02, 2012, 07:51 PM
right between the batteries
just out of curiosity, Why are the exhaust extensions needed on the horton 229? or is it a flying wing thing? and why did the actual aircraft not need them???
Nov 02, 2012, 09:21 PM
$64 question :-)
NO ONE knows... is the concise answer.
But need them they certainly do.
Dozens of theories floating about as to why though, apparently all incorrect... so far.
Oddly.. Keith Shaw's Horten v2 manages without them... since '93 ! . and his Model flies like the Fighter Jet it was designed/intended to be. definitely not like a B17 bomber.
But he's not sharing why or how. Perhaps having a Phd plays a part :-)

Quick Reply