Nov 09, 2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daft punk
Sbach 3D, 3000kv, gee bee prop, 180hyperion 3S... OMG
we all know how well this thing handles the wind but it REALLY shines in calm conditions. total confidence in KE. KE loops,KE loop 8's,KE figure 8's,square KE loops, it does them all with such ease with large SFG's on. full throttle KE passes a couple feet off the ground on 3S is soooo much fun!

decided to try to bring the S3D indoors. got some pretty funny footage of it.
first flight/landing went well.
second ends pretty comically.
third goes well but i eek out and totally botch landing....
3000kv, gee bee prop, 180babbat 2S

http://youtu.be/9lcebus_aEs
I liked it!!!...VERY good flying for such a confined space......

I did have a tracing of the larger SFG's but I lost them...Can someone scan the larger SFG's or give me the dimensions???

It would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2012, 09:53 PM
**I'm Battman**
Good stuff dp!

Thanks for that.

rc
Nov 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk
Sorry, I haven't been reading too carefully ---- if I buy the SBach 3d, can I just pop in a 3s battery, or does it need some additional modification?

Reason I'm asking is that I intend to buy a new plane in February or March. But I'm having trouble deciding between the SBach 3d and the upcoming 540QQ. 3S on the 540 is appealing, but if I could just drop a 3S battery in the SBach, then I'll probably go with that instead.
I've been using 3S 180mah 35c nano techs in BOTH my Sbach 3Ds for quite a few flights with no issues whatsoever . ,,, but your mileage may vary,, :-)
But that 540QQ looks REALLY cool!!! Tough choice!!!!
Having said that,,, I will say that IMHO the Sbach has plenty of performance on just a good 2S pack ,, on 3S its CRAZY FUN!!!!
But be prepared!!! You'd better have a GOOD handle on this plane on 3S,, people think rolls are fast on 2s,,,, on 3S,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you get the idea!!!
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 09, 2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Addition
Nov 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Soooo,,, apparently the hot set up is the 3000kv motor with Gee bee prop on 3S???
Maybe on my 2nd Sbach I should try this. :-)
I kinda Wana try 3s on my UMX mig,,, but the few who've tried have had issues. :-(
Last edited by Airman74; Nov 09, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Addition
Nov 09, 2012, 10:18 PM
#14 royal wulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
I liked it!!!...VERY good flying for such a confined space......

I did have a tracing of the larger SFG's but I lost them...Can someone scan the larger SFG's or give me the dimensions???

It would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Kevin
thanks. i can get those dimensions for ya when i get home later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Good stuff dp!

Thanks for that.

rc
thanks Roger. and thanks for providing the POWER gotta love the babbelbats
Nov 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
I've had to do this on two stubborn Beasts...Be sure to get an ESC rated for 3S...Most of the smaller 5-6 gram ESC's are only rated for 2S...You may have to step up to a 9 to 10 amp ESC to get 3S operation as I did...When you shorten the leads and cut off the shrink wrap you can get the 9-10 amp ESC down to the same weight as the 6 amp ESC's...

Kevin
Yes, indeed. The one I got is a 3S and an 8 amp, I think. Anyway... it works great!
Nov 09, 2012, 10:25 PM
#14 royal wulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Soooo,,, apparently the hot set up is the 3000kv motor with Gee bee prop on 3S???
I kinda Wana try 3s on my UMX mig,,, but the few who've tried have had issues. :-(
i really like the gee bee prop with 3000. i feel like i have more control doing slow 3d stuff with gb prop for some reason?
ive been flying mig for a couple months now on 3S with no issues or additional mods other than reinforcing horitontal stab. just a warning though,once u start flying it on 3S you'll never wanna go back to 2S.....
Nov 09, 2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
i really like the gee bee prop with 3000. i feel like i have more control doing slow 3d stuff with gb prop for some reason?
ive been flying mig for a couple months now on 3S with no issues or additional mods other than reinforcing horitontal stab. just a warning though,once u start flying it on 3S you'll never wanna go back to 2S.....
Yep!!!...Like my 3S Beasts!!!...The power is addictive!!!...When you can pull through loops endlessly and perform vertical manuevers with ease on 3S, 2S seems rather tame...

Kevin
Nov 10, 2012, 12:26 AM
Quote:
It has a little more pull than the 2300kv/5043 combo, but not near enough to make the hornet's sound of the 3000 worth it for me. Drilling holes in the sky in comparative silence is awesome!
Nov 10, 2012, 06:08 AM
Maiden today!! It's a fun plane for sure cant wait to get more comfortable with it!

UMX Sbach 342 3D Maiden E-Flight AS3X (0 min 0 sec)
Nov 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
For now I'm running the 2500kv motor with the 5043 prop...I have a couple of new 2300kv motors to try in this model and to modify one of my other Beasts...

The maiden will have to wait 'til late this afternoon---The winds have really kicked up this morning but should die down this afternoon...

Kevin
Nov 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
#14 royal wulf
Kevin ,
Here are the large SFG dimensions.
Nov 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Kevin ,
Here are the large SFG dimensions.
THANK YOU, SIR!!!!.......I made some from scratch but are smaller than the stock larger ones...I really like how the stock larger SFG's perform...

Kevin
Nov 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Both the maiden and remaiden ended in disaster I give up this plane is too much for me
Nov 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
I've been using 3S 180mah 35c nano techs in BOTH my Sbach 3Ds for quite a few flights with no issues whatsoever . ,,, but your mileage may vary,, :-)
But that 540QQ looks REALLY cool!!! Tough choice!!!!
Having said that,,, I will say that IMHO the Sbach has plenty of performance on just a good 2S pack ,, on 3S its CRAZY FUN!!!!
But be prepared!!! You'd better have a GOOD handle on this plane on 3S,, people think rolls are fast on 2s,,,, on 3S,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you get the idea!!!
Wanna know what makes my Sbach really fast? First I fly my CC around for a couple of batteries, half throttle. Just float around. Then I get my Sbach out and compared to the CC the Sbach hauls !!!
Mike

Quick Reply