Dec 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
MaxiR SE~E620SE
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an Sbach 3d for Chistmas. Problem is the only Txs I own are a 9C Super and a 2.4ghz 4ch parkzone that came with a micro Citabria. Most of my experience is with helis but I have a lot of sim practice on mid wing 3d planes.
Are my only options to get a DSM2/X Spectrum/JR to fly this thing? If so will the 5ch suffice or will getting the programmable 6ch worth the extra $ to fly this micro? I feel if I get into larger planes then I will just use the 9C.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthunter
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an Sbach 3d for Chistmas. Problem is the only Txs I own are a 9C Super and a 2.4ghz 4ch parkzone that came with a micro Citabria. Most of my experience is with helis but I have a lot of sim practice on mid wing 3d planes.
Are my only options to get a DSM2/X Spectrum/JR to fly this thing? If so will the 5ch suffice or will getting the programmable 6ch worth the extra $ to fly this micro? I feel if I get into larger planes then I will just use the 9C.
There are a lot of folks far more equipped to answer this than I am, but the quick answer to your question is - go with the DX6I. It is worth the extra money on so many different fronts. I made the mistake of going with a DX5 first and it ended up costing me, since quickly discovered that I needed the 6 within a month. You can usually find a 6 in good condition in the classifieds for $110 or so, and that's the route I went. Here's the main reason for the 6:

1) Programmability - you need expo with this plane, especiallly if you are not used to the speed this thing can move. Sim time is good, but this will feel different when it's real. Having a radio that will tame it at first will be a very good investment.
2) Multiple models - You have your 9C and it sounds like that's your primary radio. Chances are, though, that HH will come up with some other micro that gets yuor attention. Having a radio that remembers multiple models will be useful. You're a heli guy, think Nano CPX!f
3) This is where i'm not an expert, but I seem to recall hearing that the 6 has more (fill in technical word here - resolution?) that makes it smoother and your movements more precise than the 5. I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong, or validate if I'm right.

Don't get the 5, unless you really just want a buddy box.
Dec 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
I'd strongly suggest getting a better computer radio. They even have a great sale on the Dx7s right now. Once you get into these micros you'll be happy to have a radio with full customizable expo, Dual rates, etc. That any you'll probably end up with more than one and having a generous model memory will be nice.
FYI: The DX6i works great for these UMX and even the micro Helis. But for not much more the 7s is a much better radio.

*edit: the dx6i does in act have a higher resolution than the 5 and even moreso than the cheap "toy" plastic ones. Also there is less latency (it responds faster).

-Brian
Last edited by kalmon; Dec 21, 2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: WWU beat me to it!
Dec 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
I'd strongly suggest getting a better computer radio. They even have a great sale on the Dx7s right now. Once you get into these micros you'll be happy to have a radio with full customizable expo, Dual rates, etc. That any you'll probably end up with more than one and having a generous model memory will be nice.
FYI: The DX6i works great for these UMX and even the micro Helis. But for not much more the 7s is a much better radio.

*edit: the dx6i does in act have a higher resolution than the 5 and even moreso than the cheap "toy" plastic ones. Also there is less latency (it responds faster).

-Brian
What's the sale on the 7s?
Dec 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
What's the sale on the 7s?
Dx7S Sale

Basically you get a 7s plus three rx for the same price as a Dx7S alone.

-Brian
Dec 21, 2012, 04:15 PM
Matt Mabry
I am borrowing a DX7 until I can get my situation figured out. Its a great radio. Programing is simple, it has telemetry and enough mixes to be useful. I haven't flown with it yet but I am sure it will feel just as nice as my 9503 in the air. Kind of excited about that first flight

Matt
Dec 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
I've had a few PM's regarding installing the external ESC on these micros...Rather than a pictorial with a LOT of typing I'll get an HD vid done of the conversion, hopefully by the end of the weekend...

Kevin
Dec 21, 2012, 05:33 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Your module-based 9C Super is more advanced & much better-built than most Spektrum rigs. Just pick up a Spektrum module for it & you'll be all set. Unscrew the 72 MHz antenna, screw in the Spektrum antenna, pop in the module, connect the coax, set your TX for PPM & you're ready to go. I fly all of my BNF stuff with my 10CHP + Spektrum DM8 module. It's only $110 & it comes with a nice AR7010 7-channel rx w/remote rx. The only catch is that it's an 8-chan module, so you'll be down one channel when using it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...le-SPMMSFUT720

Joel
Dec 21, 2012, 05:49 PM
MaxiR SE~E620SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Your module-based 9C Super is more advanced & much better-built than most Spektrum rigs. Just pick up a Spektrum module for it & you'll be all set. Unscrew the 72 MHz antenna, screw in the Spektrum antenna, pop in the module, connect the coax, set your TX for PPM & you're ready to go. I fly all of my BNF stuff with my 10CHP + Spektrum DM8 module. It's only $110 & it comes with a nice AR7010 7-channel rx w/remote rx. The only catch is that it's an 8-chan module, so you'll be down one channel when using it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...le-SPMMSFUT720

Joel
Very Cool. I thought something like this was offered for the 9C but did not find it on Spektrum's website. Maybe I can find a used one somewhere... off to search.
Thanks for all the advise.
Dec 21, 2012, 06:30 PM
I have a DX8 on my Christmas list... If I get it, I will have a Futaba 9C Spektrum module for sale! That's what I use right now, and will have no use for it if I get the DX8..
Dec 21, 2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72
I am borrowing a DX7 until I can get my situation figured out. Its a great radio. Programing is simple, it has telemetry and enough mixes to be useful. I haven't flown with it yet but I am sure it will feel just as nice as my 9503 in the air. Kind of excited about that first flight

Matt
Why aren't you using the 9503???---This is what I'm using as it uses the same 2.4 gHz DSM/DSM2/DSMX protocol as Spektrum...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Dec 21, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Dec 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
MaxiR SE~E620SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer
I have a DX8 on my Christmas list... If I get it, I will have a Futaba 9C Spektrum module for sale! That's what I use right now, and will have no use for it if I get the DX8..
Well shoot me a PM if you get the DX8 and are ready to part with the module. I think I pass through Waterbury, CT when I visit my brother in RI.
Last edited by truthunter; Dec 21, 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Dec 21, 2012, 10:02 PM
Matt Mabry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
Why aren't you using the 9503???---This is what I'm using as it uses the same 2.4 gHz DSM/DSM2/DSMX protocol as Spektrum...

Kevin
See this post
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1846
Dec 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72
Oh SHOOT!!!...Sorry, bud!!!...Check the pawn shops as a regular burglar wo't know what to do with this stuff...

Kevin
Dec 22, 2012, 05:10 AM
Thread OP
just back from another Sbach 3D session and i'm still smiling Wind dropped right on dusk so a 2 minute walk down the street and i'm flying at the school oval
Really starting to get dialed in with this plane now and am starting to pull off some really nice moves but i still just can't nail them every try practice,practice, practice i know

anyway i still am loving this plane as much as the day i opened the box ready for the review ahh memories

cheers chuck

E-flite Sbach 3D Maiden Comparison Part Two (4 min 21 sec)

Quick Reply