New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:02 AM
Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Luck is my skill
Discussion

MQX Ladybird Hybrid Nano Pontoon Fan Boat

I've been wanting a micro boat for a while now, today I fried one of the motor ICs on my MQX board installing new motors with L.E.D.s I was sad and was about to chuck the brick out when I thought, WTH I can use it to make a boat! And guess what else ... The yaw gyro still WORKS!!!

Waterproofed the brick with liquid tape, tested the gryo and reversed the ailerons

Got some bath tub video. Hopefully I can get some lake video tomorrow.

MQX Ladybird Hybrid Nano Pontoon Fan Boat (2 min 49 sec)

Last edited by queadlunnrau; Sep 11, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by derk
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
i imagine this would also be really good on a hovercraft, the natural gyro would help keep it going where it should. great job!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Luck is my skill
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
i imagine this would also be really good on a hovercraft, the natural gyro would help keep it going where it should. great job!
Wow I didn't think of that! It has 1 more motor channel available and could rig some rubber on the bottom with a fan pointing inside.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Nice. I'ld really like to see it in open water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
I have to disagree. You will get better straight lines, but maneuverability will be drastically cut. Hovercrafts need side ways action to properly get through turns.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
Find More Posts by derk
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
all the hovercraft ive built liked to spin out when turning, the last one i added a gyro and it seemed better with it, but that was a while ago...
the gyro on mine mainly improved all the drifting it did when going slower, and helped keep straight while accelerating too. i really didnt notice any reduced maneuverability.