Jun 01, 2021, 08:02 AM
Flying Low
Coworker put a video together for me on my Flitz Classic.

Flitz In The Park (5 min 36 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2021, 05:38 AM

Poly wing R/E DLG

I had good time with my Poly wing R/E DLG. The weather was nice so that I could ride thermals number of times. It was fun.
Jun 14, 2021, 05:57 AM
Flying Low
My Flitz Classic is seeing a big upgrade. #1 the stock fiberglass tails are in rough shape. It doesn't look like it in the pictures but they are beat up. In place of them they are getting a set of Flitz 2 tails. They fit perfect in place of the stock ones. Only thing I had to do is re-drill one of the holes in the stab as they where different from the old one. I also will be cutting the boom down just a little to move the vertical closer to the stab. #2 the JR servos that are in the fuse a quite noisy and my rudder servo was starting to twitch some so they are getting replaced with KST X08's. The wing servos will get replaced as well but I'm still waiting for my last two servos to show up.
Jun 14, 2021, 12:51 PM
Lift is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4D
I had good time with my Poly wing R/E DLG. The weather was nice so that I could ride thermals number of times. It was fun.
Looks like a home made version? I have an old R/E Photon that is still (barely) in flying condition.
Jun 15, 2021, 12:30 AM
I flew my Elf again this weekend. I thought I was going to have sore ab muscles, but that went away. The air was challenging at first, but I managed to have a couple of good flights before the air calmed down too much. It might have helped if I'd showed up a bit earlier. Very comfortable weather.
Jun 15, 2021, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven
Looks like a home made version? I have an old R/E Photon that is still (barely) in flying condition.
It has SG2 fuselage with Poly wing with Kevlar skin. I remember Photon. It was popular at early stage of DLG.
Because of YODA came in to market. I took out my SG2 Poly wing DLG to see how poly wing DLG fly. It flew surprisingly well.
Jun 16, 2021, 08:08 AM
Flying Low
Still working on my Flitz. Spent some time in modeling software and drew up a few options for servo trays. Landed on the angled tray being the best setup.
Jun 18, 2021, 03:09 AM
I got up early this morning and went flying for an hour before work.

While the larks gently sang to wake the land, I flew across soft billowing cushions of air, gently rising from the still fields of summer grasses. Occasionally, this barely height-sustaining layer was punctured by tiny swift needles of micro-thermals making a mad run for the sky only to arrested by an inversionlayer at about 45m.

I had several flights over 5 minutes, but none that exceeded my launch height of 40-45m.

A very calm experience that gave me some valuable experience with early air on what promises to be the hottest day of the year so far.
Last edited by Mr.Taylor; Jun 18, 2021 at 06:47 AM.
Jun 18, 2021, 04:10 AM
looking up, down under
there's magic in the post dawn stillness when the air starts to stir

i remember vividly watching free flight at the nationals in the mid-70's, and seeing the towline gliders search for the right spot for release into lift

these days i prefer to spend dawn in a state of repose, being older and lazier
Jul 23, 2021, 01:10 PM
Build and Fly
I went for a session at lunch break today. It was stupid easy, like 10 minute trim flight easy, so I started javelin launching. After 1 or 2 short flights, I spotted a dust devil picking up grass clippings about 30 feet away, so I threw straight into it. I think I must have gone into the downwind side, because my plane stopped, did a crazy ninja star thing, and plopped back on the ground! No harm done, but I would like to try that again while paying attention to the rotation!
Jul 23, 2021, 03:08 PM
Was flying two nights ago at sunset. With thunderstorms in the area flights were limited to about 3 min of float/surf. Until my last flight, about 10 min after sunset, when I found some nice air that would have taken me farther than I could see at that point. Flew for 5 min and called it a night.
Jul 23, 2021, 11:47 PM
No really, it doesn't have one
Went flying with a friend at his incredible flying field. Started working a bubble near the tree line. Decided to test my depth perception yet again. It's still incredibly bad! Hit my tail on the top of a tree which spun me back into the tree line where my plane got lodged about 65 feet up in a pine. It was lodged fairly well but every so often the breeze would move the plane around a bit. I kept watch on the plane, radio in hand in case it fell out of its perch while my friend went to get a fishing pole. Right as he returned a breeze hit the plane just right and down it fell. I was able to fly it out of the trees and bring it down on the field. The only damage was a couple of minor dings on the leasing edge. Definitely felt like I got away with something
Jul 24, 2021, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoth
Went flying with a friend at his incredible flying field. Started working a bubble near the tree line. Decided to test my depth perception yet again. It's still incredibly bad! Hit my tail on the top of a tree which spun me back into the tree line where my plane got lodged about 65 feet up in a pine. It was lodged fairly well but every so often the breeze would move the plane around a bit. I kept watch on the plane, radio in hand in case it fell out of its perch while my friend went to get a fishing pole. Right as he returned a breeze hit the plane just right and down it fell. I was able to fly it out of the trees and bring it down on the field. The only damage was a couple of minor dings on the leasing edge. Definitely felt like I got away with something
Clif doesn’t mention it was in a crowded stand of oak and pine. He was also able to make a hand catch by almost flying through a gate.
Jul 24, 2021, 02:57 PM
Today i had a good few throws with the Deviant, sadly no lift to be found ��. But i get a consistent 40-45 meter launches, 50+ is no problem,, but my knee is not into it.
After that i trashed a brand new heli.
Jul 24, 2021, 03:03 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I’m amazed this thread is still going. I remember when Kyle started it all those years ago.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest

Quick Reply