Nov 30, 2020, 06:33 AM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagon5un
33 ft/s is 22.5 mph. That's either a local tornado or a problem with the altimeter. What model is it? I had issues with the GR6X in my DLG that I caused by removing the foam & case from around the barometer. Wind entering the pod would freak it out until I covered it back up again. (3.3 ft/s is a pretty good updraft.)

But 15 min flights up with the birds is awesome, no matter how you measure it!
fwiw i have a altimeter graph of me going up at ~ 5m/s with the tiny binary at ~ 600ft up in a huge thermal here in 2014

the proverbial taft trash mover
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2020, 01:31 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
I'm using the frsky high precision one, maybe it said 3.3m/s but it was also the max during the flight and during that flight I got up into a big thermal and it was the fastest I have ever seen my dlg climb. The ridge I was flying on had one row of houses along the top and at the bottom I. The valley there is a bunch of houses bellow, so what I think was happening was the warm air would get pulled up the hill and get pushed into the sky off the houses. I road the same Thurman three or four times, I would get to high and come down and get back in and take it to the top again and again.

You don't think a plane could jump up 33 feet in one second when in a very strong thermal. It was a wild ride sometimes. I would get bucked around every so often.

Before flying with the altimeter I measured different highs and would move the plane the different highs and it would call out the correct highs everytime. Also the altimeter is completely covered in heat shrink from factory.
Dec 02, 2020, 04:30 AM
I think the frsky vario is limited to recording certain max v speed and it might be 3.3mps cant remember.
But I never found vspeed very accurate anyway, good enough just about for vario tones.
My diy one worked better..

I judged v speed by having the altitude spoken every 5 seconds, in a good thermal it was not unusual for it to up by 50ft each time, once or twice in very strong thermals I saw close to 100ft every 5 seconds which is pretty fast and I was glad of the dlg ability to handle high speed drives to come back down.
Latest blog entry: Eachine E160 3d helicopter
Dec 02, 2020, 10:02 AM
Just a one step to winter, but not at all snow anywhere here in southern Finland.

Usually there is a half meter of snow on my dlg flying field at the moment and -5 to -10 C degrees.
Today was warm, moderate wind and even some lifts.
Nice flying session, but darkness comes so early after 3 a clock p.m.
Must wait two months and life will win again.

The thruth is the climate change is going on.
Dec 03, 2020, 02:25 PM
Finally a clear, if cold, day here. Went out to my usual field, but then thought about trying to catch some thermal off of the sunny side of a hill in the park instead.

No thermals, but I didn't put it in the trees either. Just practicing throws and gliding around with as much camber as I could get away with in the still air and lowering sun. Sweet and relaxing.

Half the neighborhood was in the park, catching the winter sun. Kids would come running up over the hill to see if they could figure out who was launching the plane.

Eventually, a guy with an EPP flying wing in his backpack came up and we chatted a while. He was out today trying to work out the right CG for the thing. He was stoked to see a DLG up close, and I recommended looking into an ELF. I might have lured him in.

On the way home, a woman out walking her dogs said "nice flying". She had been watching from over the trees outside the park.

No lift, no amazing air time, no acrobatics, and no adventures. Just an hour and a half of simply throwing the plane around on a pretty afternoon and soaking in the good vibes. I'm still smiling.
Dec 03, 2020, 04:48 PM
looking up, down under
launching and gliding is great

lift is a bonus
Dec 03, 2020, 05:09 PM
threw one for the 1st time? and the 2nd time, and the 450th time until my little 250mAh battery was worn out and the wind got too high.
Dec 04, 2020, 12:07 AM
Fun & games on a blustery grey winter day. Temperature around - 1 degrees Celsius, wind 4-6 m/s. On my own for an hour, had two longer 4-5 min flights in violent thermals. Stopped when fingers were starting to freeze a little.

Tommy
Dec 06, 2020, 08:01 PM
Build and Fly
Ended my flight early so I could watch a flock of vultures flying south for the winter. If you haven't seen this sight, it's amazing. I counted about 25-26 birds, and they all soar up a big thermal one after another in a big chain, then when they get to the top, they put it in cruise mode and head south until the leader hits the next thermal. As soon as the first flock was out of sight, another one came through using the same thermals.

Oh, and it was super nice air today - 5-9 minutes every flight until the sun went in!
Dec 08, 2020, 02:31 PM
Today was sunny for a long time but the day is so short.
The picture was taken at 1.30 p.m. and sun is going down rapidly.
However nice day, there was some weak lifts occasionally and the best flights reached four minutes.
About -2 Celsius degrees, minor wind.
Not too cold yet.
Dec 12, 2020, 11:34 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
In regards to one of my last post here about having a 33 ft per second climb rate I finally figured it out what it was all about. It was the max during the flight which also included the launch. The telemetry is a great too to go back and look at your flights and what transpired during them.
Dec 30, 2020, 01:00 AM
Part Time Pilot
Got some winter soaring in with my new flitz. I'm fairly new to the model, I recently picked it from a friend and am still getting adjusted. Got a few 5min+ flights even though my launches were pretty low and lift was weak. 10/10 would recommend December sunburns
Dec 30, 2020, 09:24 AM
Winter sports with a Vortex3. Temperature around 0 degrees Celsius, wind 3-4 m/s. Surprisingly strong thermals at times, longest flight being slightly over 6 minutes to stratosphere and back. Great to be out flying!

Tommy
Dec 30, 2020, 08:37 PM
in awe of glide...
Got out today on the slope, wind was blowing about 15-20mph gusting to over 25. It was just above freezing. Put 120g in my standard layup Falcon. It handled great! Similar to flying empty in maybe 10-12mph winds. Amazing how much lift there can be w the low angle sun filtered through the clouds.
Jan 01, 2021, 10:47 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Today :

have fun and just fly. Google it

Quick Reply