Jul 12, 2013, 02:29 AM
7:30 is probably a bit late for decent thermals but not always cause you just never can tell sometimes nice thermals are about as things cool down at diferent rates.
I went down at a similar time last night and though there were no climb outs I did managed a few 4 min flights but mostly did aerobatics.
Looking calm so far this morn, hopefully I will get out at 9am if still calm b4 it gets too hot!
Latest blog entry: Eachine E160 3d helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2013, 03:15 AM
looking up, down under
mid afternoon, mid winter

about 1 minute max (sad) - one group of 3 pelicans passed through the airspace, but even they had to flap for part of the transit
Jul 12, 2013, 07:09 AM
In F3J size does matter!
New personal best today!
I managed to launch my Stream two meters higher then my PB. I managed 59 meters
My personal best was set over 18 months ago with a Flow when I was still practicing 2 times a week, in much better shape and 10 pounds lighter

At the end of a three hour flying session I dropped a RAM3 in the Stream and launched 23 launches, wind was 2-4 meters per second.
I averaged 53.8 meters over the 23 launches with only one below 50 meters (only 49), had 9 launches 55 and over out of which three were 57 and over (my previous PB).

The Stream, is a launching machine and I am sure that if I get back into shape I will be able launch much higher.
I am super happy and plan to try and break 60 meters before the summer is out
Jul 13, 2013, 03:57 AM
Winds coming over houses again this morn but light so did a 1/2 hour session at 8am b4 it got too hot! Most flights were 30 to 50 secs with a 4 a 5 a and a 6 min flights when I caught a thermal. Always makes me feel like the blaster has something badly wrong with it when the winds come that way but the other way and it feels fine.
Jul 13, 2013, 08:35 AM
No flying today as its too windy. Just recieved my Taranis TX, D4R- ii and FVAS-02H alitude sensor so plenty to play with.
Jul 13, 2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain78
No flying today as its too windy. Just recieved my Taranis TX, D4R- ii and FVAS-02H alitude sensor so plenty to play with.
Very windy, managed some flying with my minimoa but was rubbish really!
WHere did you get your taranis from? Not stricktly dlg talk but I am very interested in the taranis and the fvas-02h, I think it would make a great setup for testing launch heights at the field and thermal hunting too especially when it right over your head and you cant tell if it's going up or down. I decided to wait for the second batch just in case there was some problems with the 1st that needed sorting.
Please tell us how you get on with it!
Jul 13, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hi Nigel I got the Taranis through T9 Hobbysport (I had been on the waiting list for a couple of months) I think they will get the second batch soon. The FVAS-02H was purchased through BRC Hobbies. Hopefully this will prove to be a great combination for DLG. I'll let you know as soon as I get everything installed and programed.
Jul 13, 2013, 03:25 PM
Flew my Orion at Tanque Verde Elementary School. I got a little worried as I had left the battery plugged in over night and it took 2 tries to bring it back up to full.
Jul 13, 2013, 08:39 PM
In central NC it's been raining EVERY DAY (almost all day ), for overt two weeks. A break in rain today but all kinds of flooding everywhere and my normal fly-spot is saturated.

But......my wife works for a middle-school, and the football field is well maintained and drains with no problem. It's situated right in the middle of a subdivision, and even with the gusty conditions I had to get my fix.

We got on the 50 yrd line and let'r rip! The first few throws were up and down, nothing special. Just two clicks of the elevator and it was a different bird. Good launch heights, and long wind-surfing sessions the next three or four flights.

*Then I started paying attention to the wind.*

You could literally feel the heat of the thermals as they came through, accompanied by a calming of the wind. I stood for a minuite or so with the wing between my fingers waiting.....then the wind stopped and it got very warm (like it had been doing all along), and as I started to spin it picked back up (in the same prevailing direction).
I released into the wind for a good climb, and promptly turned and burned back over my head toward the thermal that I was sure had just passed through. Vwa-Lah!! The plane looked like something hit it's belly with a sledgehammer! A little left rudder and aileron with a touch of elevator and round and round she went straight up, and I mean in a hurry. I was shocked to see the thing actually climb like it had a motor! It was crazy. I'm not good at judging distance yet (especially vertical), but I'd say it at least tripled my launch height in a VERY short time.

With the wind pushing the thermal, I was well over the subdivision so I decided to bail. I headed straight back into the wind toward home and BAMM!, That same sledgehammer hit the plane on is head, sink-city. Funny how recall happens in the brain just when you need it, 'cause I remembered a graph I saw (Paul Naton vid I think), where you should leave lift at 45° of wind direction. That's what I did and it seemed maintain altitude much better. After landing, the wind had really begun to pick up so I decided not to push my luck.

Only about an hour of flying, but it was well worth the drive. Man I love these things!
Last edited by Triggerhappy; Jul 13, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Jul 14, 2013, 07:56 AM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhappy
Only about an hour of flying, but it was well worth the drive. Man I love these things!
i used to love going down the park late afternoons with a chuckie for a free flight session; now i can take the mini-DLG and do the same thing but come home with the glider every time
Jul 14, 2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
i used to love going down the park late afternoons with a chuckie for a free flight session; now i can take the mini-DLG and do the same thing but come home with the glider every time

I want to own several more 1.5's, but a 1mtr would be great to keep in the truck for anywhere flights!
Jul 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
Kyle Clayton
Thread OP
Its really cool to check in and see this thread still going I haven't been posting in here really much at all and its the most successful thread I've ever started, I need to change that! Thank you all who have been continually updating us and the world with your daily DLG activities, its been a fun read.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Jul 14, 2013, 02:45 PM
Knobbs
I don't post as much as I'd like, cause I don't fly but about once a week. But, I read the updates on this thread everyday. Thanks for getting it rolling in the first place.
I suppose you have your hands full with F3K Master !? I need to get back into that one as well.
Thanks again, happy flying.

Did go to the local field Sat, brought the dlg just in case. Sure enough, wind died down, saw some large birds circling near a road. Gave the Topsky a chuck and didn't come down again for some time (well, was only 5min 38sec), looping and rolling to burn off altitude as it was getting pretty small. Sooo fun!
Rishelman
Jul 14, 2013, 05:53 PM
Watching the wingtips
Did a few setup flights in the fleeting sun last evening. My first honest attempt at trimming the glider in all my 5 months of owning it, about 10 minutes in and boy could I see the difference. I'm running my CG at about 50% of the wing chord (Dive test seems fairly stable) and it just floats, I was getting 40 second flights off of really puny throws. Got my flap-elevator mix set too.
It's all my heli habits that's doing it; you could just fly through an un-trimmed model, especially with 3-axis flybarless gyros, not so much with sailplanes.
Jul 14, 2013, 06:32 PM
I recently turned 66 and I have a Art Hobby Hybrid DLG. My best throws are about 50 feet high. My son was visiting so the other day I got him to help with the throws. This was about 9 in the morning and we actually got into some lift off of his throw. But he left Friday. This might be cheating but Saturday I took my Hybrid out and launched it with an 10 meter long 8 lb hi-start with 120 feet of line on it. Takes off like a rocket. Pops off the line and climbs another 50 feet straight up. Spectacular. Finally getting some air time on this thing.

Quick Reply