Sep 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
Kyle Clayton
Thread OP
Discussion

What did you do with your DLG today?

Hey guys, as a member of other internet forums, I came across a thread that I thought was genious and with a litte bit of modification could be used here as well. It asks a simple question that can have a million different answers, what did you with your DLG today? Did you fly it? Why did you fly? Practice? Fun? How was the weather? Did you repair it? Did it hold up? Was this a maiden flight? Maybe its your first time with a DLG ever? Are you a builder who flew a new design? What were the results? Did you win a conest? Did you have a mid air ()? Did you catch the ride of your life? Did you just stare at the planes hanging on the wall? Whatever you did, it doesn't matter, its something you did with your DLG, and thats the best part!

So to start it off, here's what I did with my DLG today. Today was the second day that I've started flying routinely again. I'm trying to practice up for the up coming ECHLGF, so this week I've decided to fly a specific regiment for the entire week. I need to brush up on two of my weakest skills, the AULD task, and turn arounds. In the AULD, I rarely ever make all 3 flights. I attribute most of that to indecision and getting myself flustered, and it typically happens on the third flight if I've made the first two. The pressure to make that last 3 is usually my downfall and why I often drop the ball. And turn arounds, well we could all use a good turn around practice, I mean look at the TS, you had to be sub-10 second in the 5x2, and in some cases well under that, to have any hopes of taking the round. So I came up with a task that I think will enable me to practice both at the same time. I decided I would launch and fly (try to) for 3 minutes. If I made the 3, I had to land and hold the plane for 1 minute before re-lighting. However, If I didnt make the 3, I had to tip-catch and relight as fast as possible. I felt this was a pretty fool-proof routine, because as the afternoon goes on, logically the air should get weaker and weaker, therefore the first half or so should be all about making 3's and reading air and later focus more on turn arounds. I tried the task for the first time yesterday, and I deicded it was good enough to focus on for the rest of the week. Today, I finally got out at around 6:15pm, and there was only marginal air despite how good it looked. I caught a couple of 3's, and they were hard work which I prefer over cake-rides, but most of the practice ended up being 2:1x's with tip-catch relights. I really liked my progress by the end of the session, I had really nailed down a smooth tip catch technique. Tomorrow, hopefully I can focus more on the AULD portion of the task if the air permits, and I will begin adding more power to my re-light.

I hope this ends up being a fun thread and I'd like to see how long we can keep the ball rolling! So thats what I did today with my DLG, what did you do with yours?
Last edited by Wave Glider; Sep 10, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2012, 08:12 PM
Just fly...
I put a rudder and re-installed the pull strings on one of my planes.

Jun
Sep 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
Good idea. I flew my PII after buying it back. Then swapped the nylon wing bolts for steel until I get aluminum.
Sep 10, 2012, 08:20 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
I fixed the broken v-mount (AGAIN!!) on the tail of my ELF.

No more v-mounts on any of my DLGs!

Buddy
Sep 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
hot air rises...
I flew twice today, both times in wind (I need the windy practice). And played with adding a bit of rudder in my launch preset...
Sep 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I looked at mine twice today but I flew it for an hour yesterday. I needed to work on my launching technique and I think my adjustments look promising.
Sep 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hit me with your rhythm stick
Today I gave my plane a ride to work in the backseat. But the wind was howling after work, so I went mountain biking instead.
Yesterday was her maiden, and I got a 20 minute flight on her 3rd launch and learned a lot about riding thermals in that one flight.
Sep 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
I packed a few kits and took them to the post office!

I wish I could say I flew though!
Sep 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Team ATX Pilot
I looked at a box that was sent back to me after TS that has three BAD ASS Polaris inside. I am on break from DLG at the moment too get caught up on things that I let go by that waist side. But not to worry I plan to destroy all that come forth in the near future. Go Team Douche!
Donnie
Sep 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
I packed a few kits and took them to the post office!

I wish I could say I flew though!
Got my Neos kit also , looks great Thomas. Thank you.
Donnie
Sep 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
I worked on Helios #2 and got the servos in the fuse and may get rudder installed tonight as well.
Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
I flew my still shiny (month old) Predator II for almost 2 hours this afternoon. I'm concentrating on going easy on the controls and making every move count to be smooth. I also have a 28" BUG on the bench that got a little sanding as well as a rudder.
Sep 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
M Seid
I picked up my sport tube filled with my team select quiver from mike smith who blessed them before handing them back to me. I cleaned the garage so I could put them away and fixed a blemish on the Polaris (rudder split in half from sliding it on the ground courtesy of a botched preflight pre round landing that started with a launch in 5 mph winds and landed sideways in 25 mph gusts that saw the plane cartwheeling towords rcpc who reacted by hi jumping the cartwheeling plane without touching it. A little vertical tow, and some light 2 oz carbon and my light polaris is still under 9oz and ready for dbones can of whoop ass (more likely a 40 oz can...) in November. Eldo this weekend and then off to olegfest in Wilson- which all you readers should be paypalling your registration too right......NOW.
Sep 10, 2012, 10:46 PM
As part of my recovery from a pulled back, I launched a Blaster 3 about fifteen times this evening, just concentrating on smooth. Then, I got out the Alula, and threw it around until it was too dark to see.

Yours, Greg
Sep 10, 2012, 10:49 PM
hot air rises...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid
... that saw the plane cartwheeling towords rcpc who reacted by hi jumping the cartwheeling plane without touching it. ...
I saw that! I hope you thanked Paul for his cat like reflexes. The look on Paul's face as he high jumped your plane was priceless!

Quick Reply