Sep 09, 2012, 10:05 AM
What's goin' wrong?!
Thread OP
Discussion

Fun soaring day at Los Banos, 9-22-12

Los Banos Fun Day, September 22, 2012
Slope Flying on September 22, 2012.

It is time once again for a fun outing to Los Banos. This is a completely informal, fly any airplane you bring, get together on the slope.

Bring a range of airplanes from floaters, to scale planes, to whatever, arrive any time during the day, fly as much as you want, put away all the flying hardware, and go into town for dinner just after sunset.

Bring drinking water, food, sunscreen, sunglasses, chairs. . . . anything to be self sufficient for the day. Be sure to pay the day use fee for the park. I think it's $10.00, and you get it down in front of the dam, either self-serve or with the help of a ranger.

I will watch the weather forecast in the days prior to Saturday, September 22. I will make the final decision whether I will go or not by noon Friday, September 21, and I will post here.

Even with the prevalence of 2.4 Ghz radios, there are lots of 72 Mhz radios in use, so PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO FREQUENCY CONTROL.

See Ya On The Slope,
Eric
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
SF Bay Slope Flyer
I'm in!
I've been scoping out Los Banos wind for the last few weeks - Looking to
maiden a 6 meter K8B if the wind is right.

-Bruce
Sep 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Everything's A Composite
What's the story Eric. Are you hoping for slope conditions good enough for big heavy planes, such as my fleet of lead sleds....

72 mhz, ch. 56

Kent
Sep 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeFlyer33
Looking to
maiden a 6 meter K8B if the wind is right.
-Bruce
Bruce,
Make sure to perform a visual spar inspection. Inconsistent workmanship is causing a lot of buz online. Starting on post #249 and on
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1680781

sean
Sep 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
SF Bay Slope Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh
Bruce,
Make sure to perform a visual spar inspection. Inconsistent workmanship is causing a lot of buz online. Starting on post #249 and on
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1680781

sean
Will Do!
Going to do a thorough pre-flight check.
Sep 10, 2012, 07:32 PM
What's goin' wrong?!
Thread OP

Bring ALL your gliders!

Hey Kent and everyone:

As you know, there is really no way to call the conditions this far in advance. But, bring a floater, a sled, and everything in between.

I will post here whether or not I will go, and a little note about the forecast, by noon on the 21st.

Eric
Sep 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
Everything's A Composite
We may not know the wind conditions yet, but one thing is for sure....it'll be in the mid 90s. Yikes

Living on the coast, as I do, temps in the mid 70s is a heatwave. Late October looks better to me or even November for that matter.

Kent
Sep 17, 2012, 01:53 PM

Who is planning on coming out Saturday?

Hi guys,

Been a while since I have flown and I would like to go to LB to have some fun with everyone on Saturday. I moved from Castro Valley to San Martin but just have a small rental place for now and no place to build. So I purchased a few RTF's.

I have a Phase 3 Phoenix II nearly ready to go, may have a DG-1000 also.

So who is going and what time are people getting out there? Carpool anyone?

Donn Schifano
Sep 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
Everything's A Composite
If the winds are great, I'll be out with the Horten Alpine Sled.

Kent
Sep 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
Weather forecast at Los Banos Reservoir Station for this saturday:

Partly cloudy. High of 90F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the SSW in the afternoon.
Sep 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
Bay Area Model Flyers aka BAMF
I am definitely in if conditions are right! I have mainly slope planes. An Alula, Weasel, Speedo, a zip 22 and even a Coyote. I can even bring my light Huron DLG if it gets really light. LOL. Oh yeah, I also have an old Talon. Talon is in the process of being repaired though.

Jeremy

P.S. Which way is the optimal wind direction for LB? And what direction is not flyable?
Sep 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
I've always wanted to give Los Banos a try... will stay tuned to predicted weather and will see if I can make it. It would be great to go with the "experts" in the crowd!

Cheers,

Rob
72Mhz. Ch.11
Sep 20, 2012, 07:45 AM
Bay Area Model Flyers aka BAMF
If this Saturday is no good, do we just move it to the following Saturday? I am ok with either Saturday.
Sep 20, 2012, 12:24 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Whatever planes you bring, make sure to include floaters or light air slopers as well. I personally do not see it getting very windy for this time of the year, but it looks like will be flyable for sure.

Final word will come from Eric as to the go/no go decision, so stay tuned.
Last edited by Sailhigh; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Sep 21, 2012, 01:26 PM
What's goin' wrong?!
Thread OP

It's a go!

The forecast for tomorrow at Los Banos is for the wind to be WNW at 5 to 10, and it'll get to about 90 F.

See Ya Tomorrow On The Slope,
Eric

Quick Reply