Thread Tools
Sep 08, 2012, 07:17 PM
Registered User
CraigVMN's Avatar
Question

How do I make my quad snap roll/flip?


Iíve watched a lot of videos on here where you experienced pilots pull off flips/rolls that just ďsnapĒ right over. Whenever I attempt to do the same, I have to be at a high altitude, because my quad wants to do a large loop around. I have a DJI clone frame (450) with a 2200mah battery, 1000kv motors & 9x4.7 props. Iím using a DX6i for TX duty. Are there certain settings on the TX I need to use to get those snap rolls & flips?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2012, 07:21 PM
Registered User
Most of the settings that need to be changed for fast flips/roll's are in the FC, what FC are you using?
Sep 08, 2012, 07:22 PM
Carbon Flyer
Techcoder's Avatar
You might mention the Flight Controller being used and what mode.
Sep 08, 2012, 10:48 PM
making crashing a lifestyle!
dutchcommando's Avatar
you might want to use a little higher KV motors with small props.
1200KV with 8X4.5 will give a faster response to throttle changes.
for a very short/tight flip you want to go full throttle during the first and last 90 degrees (roughly) of the flip.
Sep 09, 2012, 05:03 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
TS00's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando View Post
you might want to use a little higher KV motors with small props.
1200KV with 8X4.5 will give a faster response to throttle changes.
for a very short/tight flip you want to go full throttle during the first and last 90 degrees (roughly) of the flip.
I used to be very careful about which of my quads I tried to roll, using just the more powerful ones with 1200kv and 1400kv motors. But as I became more confident, I discovered that I was able to roll all my quads, as long as I set up the multiwii right. Even my 450mm 1000kv 2212 with 8045 rolls and flips.

@Craig on your multiwii, you need to set these parameters:

RC rate: 1.6
Pitch & roll rate: 0.4
Yaw rate: 0.4
RC Expo: 0.7


Disclaimer: this will make your quad very, very responsive, don't do it unless you are really good at handling your quad with its current settings.
Sep 09, 2012, 07:59 AM
Registered User
CraigVMN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
Most of the settings that need to be changed for fast flips/roll's are in the FC, what FC are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techcoder View Post
You might mention the Flight Controller being used and what mode.
Yeah, I forgot about that - It's a quadrino zoom rev. 1e, using the 2.1 multiwii interface.
Sep 09, 2012, 08:02 AM
Registered User
CraigVMN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS00 View Post
I used to be very careful about which of my quads I tried to roll, using just the more powerful ones with 1200kv and 1400kv motors. But as I became more confident, I discovered that I was able to roll all my quads, as long as I set up the multiwii right. Even my 450mm 1000kv 2212 with 8045 rolls and flips.

@Craig on your multiwii, you need to set these parameters:

RC rate: 1.6
Pitch & roll rate: 0.4
Yaw rate: 0.4
RC Expo: 0.7


Disclaimer: this will make your quad very, very responsive, don't do it unless you are really good at handling your quad with its current settings.
Thanks TS, are those settings under "P"?
Sep 09, 2012, 10:57 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
TS00's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVMN View Post
Thanks TS, are those settings under "P"?
No, they are not P settings, they are separate values altogether.

The ones I've hilighted in green:

Sep 09, 2012, 11:39 AM
Registered User
CraigVMN's Avatar
Got it, then I "write" it to the board, yes?
Last edited by CraigVMN; Sep 21, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Sep 09, 2012, 11:42 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
TS00's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigVMN View Post
Git it, then I "write" it to the board, yes?
Yup.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question How do I stop my Yak 54 from rolling to the right when I do a loop? trevorcgross Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 16 Sep 17, 2012 01:37 AM
Question Can a Tricopter Do Flips and Rolls Like a Quad Can? Dave8888 Multirotor Drone Talk 17 Jul 25, 2012 08:20 PM
Discussion How to do a snap roll Space Bat 3D Flying 2 Mar 24, 2012 04:10 AM
Video FY-X4 Quad flips/rolls Blue Flyer Electric Heli Talk 0 Feb 27, 2012 12:01 PM
Discussion How do I do a snap roll? Mattvr1ck Electric Plane Talk 36 Apr 08, 2010 07:03 AM