Nov 19, 2017, 02:01 AM
Thread OP

Winter Series SFMYC

Satuday .November 18 brought six boats out for our first I 54 winter series race. Light wind and large holes predominated sailing conditions.
Mel Aguilar came and sailed my second boat. He got some good starts and learned a lot. Dave Gormley raced 87 with his new Sirius Sails and struggled in the light wind. Although in race seven he managed a third with some very smart sailing. Jason Spiller had a pretty good day managing to show amazing speed and seemed to be in sync with the wind a lot. Even though he did poorly in two races, that was not typical of his excellent sailing. Jim Harrold continues to show his improving skills by taking a first and three seconds thru eight races. Rob Weaver and Mel seemed to struggle most of the day in the light wind. Somehow yours truly managed to win four races and post two seconds. Not sure how I did that considering that I think I only sailed so so with some lapses in concentration at key points like hitting a mark and going on the wrong side of a mark in one race. Anyways, it was a good day for the fleet and I am happy to see the group sail together again. Ryan Schofield
I 54 Class Secretary

Results:
Ryan Schofield 11 pts 1st
Jim Harrold 17 pts 2 nd
Jason Spiller 20 pts 3 rd
Rob Weaver 21 pts 4 th
Mel Aguilar 34 pts 5 th
Dave Gormley 36 pts 6 th
Last edited by Rssailor; Nov 19, 2017 at 02:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2017, 02:59 PM
If it floats....sail it!

New AMYA I-54 Class Secretary Pro Tempore

Per the note that Ryan Schofield posted a few days ago regarding the passing of our class secretary, Jim Hensel, this left the class without any representation at the AMYA level. The Infinity class, while small, needs a voice within the AMYA structure.

Recognizing the importance of this, Ryan was nominated and seconded by several of us to be the interim class secretary in communications to AMYA President, Ray Seta. Ryan accepted the nomination and then Ray appointed Ryan the Infinity-54 Interim Class Secretary, subject to the approval of the full AMYA Executive Board in January (a formality really).

Ryan will hold the position until the next election cycle for the class, which is in the fall of next year. Should he run and be elected at that time, he would serve a two year term. This is the same process that I recently went through when Jim Linville transfered the US1M class secretary position to me in April and I stood for election in November. (The US1M elections are in odd numbered years, while the Infinity-54 elections are in even numbered years)

As both a member of the Infinity class and as a class secretary, I would like to formally thank Ryan for taking on this responsibility, particularly on such short notice and without any help in the transfer of the office from the former secretary. I know that Ryan will continue his tireless efforts to promote the class.

Congratulations, Ryan.

Steve Vaczovsky
AMYA US1M Class Secretary
Infinity #62
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Nov 19, 2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Dec 10, 2017, 01:22 AM
Thread OP

Infinity 54 class NCR March 17-18 2018

It is official, the I 54 class will be holding an NCR at San Francisco Model Yacht club on March 17-18, 2018. Dust off your boat and get ready to sail and enjoy great camaraderie among the class. The historic Speckles Lake will be the venue for two days of racing. Hope to see all of you I 54 sailors there. A NOR will be coming out soon. Ryan Schofield I54 Class Secretary and chairperson 2018 I 54 Nationals
Dec 11, 2017, 12:19 AM
Thread OP

Looking for I 54's

Are there any of you lurking here on these forums that have an I 54, well contact me please. I would like to locate as many boats as possible.
Send me a PM or an email. Thanks Ryan Schofield AMYA I 54 class secretary
Jan 01, 2018, 02:34 AM
Thread OP
Working on my third I 54 that I acquired a few years ago from a fellow in the midwest. Finally got the keel fitted to the hull today. Next up the radio board with all new servos. I gotta decide on what kind of stand to make for the boat as well. I'll take some pictures soon and post. Ryan
Jan 10, 2018, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
The NOR will be posted to the SFMYC site for the NCR in the next week.
I want to welcome Bob Eger of the SMYC as the newest I 54 owner, he bought hull #101.
Ryan
Jan 11, 2018, 01:03 AM
If it floats....sail it!
The second boat that was brought west from New England, #100, will be delivered to its new owner this weekend, another skipper in the Sacramento MYC.

That’s two more boats in the Sac fleet!!
Jan 11, 2018, 08:18 PM
Thread OP

I 54 ncr

Here is the link to the I 54 NCR NOR. Let's have a great regatta and see if the class can get more than ten boats on the line. See ya there. Ryan

https://www.sfmyc.org/index.php/sail...y-form-and-nor
Jan 15, 2018, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
I have been a bit slow bringing the report for the January I 54 winter series race. Six skippers attended the event including one from the Sacramento Fleet. Light winds were the rule of the day although there were some nice puffs at times. Four different boats managed to snag first place finishes and many races were very close. Rob and Jim Harold sailed very well for the most part of the day. Dave Gormley did well and took his first bullet of the serie in race three. A good day for sailing at Spreckles was had by all. Thanks to Rob W., Jim Harrold, Steve Ma, Steve Bechtold, and Dave Gormley for coming out and mixing it up. Results are as follows:
Ryan S. 10 points 1st, Jim Harrold 13 points 2nd, Rob Weaver 14 points 3rd, Dave Gormley 23 points 4th, Steve Bechtold 24 points 5th, Steve Ma 32 points.
Feb 04, 2018, 11:07 PM
Thread OP

SFMYC I 54 winter series conclusion

Saturday Feb. 3 was a Sunny warm day with very little wind at the beginning of the day. The first four races were sailed in 0 to 2MPH wind. Despite the lack of wind sailors seemed to be very close together as boats approached the finish. Good sailing or luck allowed Rob and I to win two races each out of the first four. The wind picked up some for the next four races even though there were some very big holes. Jim Harold found some good speed with his new to him Sirius Sails and won two of the last races. Once Jim gets his new sails sorted out, his boat will get faster. Rob seemed to be off pace or maybe found to many holes during the last four races and did not do as well as the first half. Stephan Ma showed some good speed at times and managed two seconds during the last four races. Steve Bechtold from Sacramento came down and sailed again and did not do well although not for a lack of trying. He is waiting for a new suite of sails from Sirius and should have better boat speed next time I see him. It was great to see a good showing of six boats for this winter race.
Thank you to Trish for keeping score for us. Thank you to Rob W., Jim H., Stephan Ma, Steve Bechtold, and Dave Gormley for showing up and sailing.
Ryan

Results for Feb.
Ryan S. 13 pts. 1st
Jim H. 15 pts 2nd
Rob W 18 pts. 3rd
Dave G. 27 pts 4th
Steve B. 28 pts 5th
Stephan Ma 30 pts 6th

Series Standing
Jim H. 54 pts 1st
Rob W 59 pts 2nd
Ryan S 83 pts 3rd
Dave G 99 pts 4th
Steve B 150 pts 5th
Stephan Ma 160 pts 6th
Jason Spiller 167 pts 7th
Feb 05, 2018, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
How many I 54 sailors are planning on attending the NCR on March 17-18??
Chime in here please.
So far:
Ryan Schofield
Rob Weaver
Steve Vaczovsky
Feb 07, 2018, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Making progress on getting I 54 #39 back sailing again. Built a whole new radio board based on one of my other I 54s and new servos. Completed fitting on the keel which included repairs to the keel structure inside the boat and re-drilling the holes for bolting the keel to the boat. I sleeved the holes for the keel bolts with carbon fiber tube that I glassed into the hole. Next up sanded and faired the keel and bulb, then put five coats of mold release wax on the hull where the keel mates up, then epoxy to the top of the keel to make the keel to hull fit perfect. All new sheets are being installed and the boat will use one of my spare rigs till I acquire some more mast sections. Lots of work, hope to sail the boat soon. Ryan
Last edited by Rssailor; Feb 08, 2018 at 12:02 AM.
Feb 09, 2018, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Well after some hard work today, #39 will finally have the opportunity to get wet after who knows how many years. Also it is now a class legal boat, as it was not when I bought it, had an Aluminum rig and really old sails. I fitted the sheets and backstay to the boat today and made sure the new arm is right, then set it all up. The boat looks good, I guess I will see if I can sail it tomorrow at Spreckles Lake if there is any wind. Ryan
Feb 09, 2018, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
Also on another note, myself, Rob Weaver, and possibly Jim Harold are going to go and sail at the first Sacramento race day of the season on Sunday. Look out Sacramento fleet. Ryan
Feb 11, 2018, 11:23 PM
Thread OP
Sacramento trip was good today. Saw seven I 54s battle it out in about 10knts of breeze and little chop. Got my first look at the east coast boats and 100 sure looks good and sails well. Rob and I had a great time and I think between us we won all five races. Was to busy sailing and it was a bit cold, so no pictures. Ryan

Quick Reply