Nov 11, 2015, 08:02 PM
Jarhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar
Whats the power set up you guys are using on this plane nowaday? Thanks
Any 450 - 480 size motor (~70 grams) around 1000kv. You'll have to match the ESC, but I flew with a 30A & did just fine. Rarely used full throttle with a APC 10 or 11x4.7SF.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2015, 08:40 PM
motor:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

prop- these things work great, they're cheap, and they're nearly indestructible when compared to APC. This size will give pretty decent flight times when used with above motor and 1000mah battery.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._CCW_1pc_.html
Nov 11, 2015, 09:10 PM
Big + for the props that Ahicks showed. Very tough props . I have a bunch more coming in different sizes.

Gord.
Nov 12, 2015, 02:37 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar
Whats the power set up you guys are using on this plane nowaday? Thanks
A cheap and powerful setup that will do everything :

Turnigy 2830 1000kv motor.
30A ESC
1250 25C Rhino LiPo

APC 11x5.5E prop

I tried 10x5 .... 10x6 ..... 12x5 ..... even Slow Fly ... but always ended up back with the 11x5.5E.

Launching with this is just hold nose up, give it throttle and let go !

Nigel
Nov 12, 2015, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the build tips, I seen ahicks tip on the bone props in another thread and already have a bunch coming for this plane and others..

I have a eflight Park 370 1050 kv that I'm going to try with a 10.5 prop...if it don't work I will get the Turnigy 2830
Nov 12, 2015, 04:06 AM
I have a pal who even runs a 2836 1200kv in his on a 12" prop ... needless to say - he has extra up front to stop it ripping off !

Any motor around the 28xx , 1000 - 1200kv and 11" prop mark that can handle about 200W is fine ...

Note I am not talking about this RED Turnigy can motor :-

Its good but better is this one :

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...strSearch=2830

The Red one .. I have had these and all have thrown magnets after a short while. I don't say everyone is like that ... but the second Gold version has been reliable for me ..

So my set-up is :

+

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html

which strangely arrived as a Red Brick 30A ESC ... which is not shown on HK page. But it works fine ...

+

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...CCW_2pcs_.html

+

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...oly_Pack_.html

So correction ... I thought they were 25C .. but on checking they are 20C packs and they are fine on this combo ... never hot ... give me long runs ...

Overall a nice little budget set-up ... not breaking the bank !

Nigel
Nov 12, 2015, 08:03 AM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanhead
Thanks for the build tips, I seen ahicks tip on the bone props in another thread and already have a bunch coming for this plane and others..

I have a eflight Park 370 1050 kv that I'm going to try with a 10.5 prop...if it don't work I will get the Turnigy 2830
For 3D, a large dia prop is better. I also use 11x5.5, but with a 3530 motor, more low end torque for vertical punch-out.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=539
Nov 12, 2015, 08:35 AM
Agree the 2836 may be a little over the top. It'll fly great on the 2830, but I've been there done that with a previous, now very well worn Hummer. Was looking for a bit more grunt for some high energy stuff, which the 2836 delivered in spades. Weight penalty is there though, apparent in the low speed stuff.

Perfect motor would have the 2830's weight with the 2836 power.....

Bonus running the 3530 is the shaft is 5mm, making it nearly impossible to bend.
Nov 12, 2015, 11:39 AM
San Mateo, CA

Options for Hummer

For the new builders of this plane. The typical servo for this plane is the 9 gram but you can do something interesting with the 12.5 gram servo which is slightly bigger. In this case to different version from the Corona servo from HobbyKing. Have a look. Also see the Lemon-Rx Stab that is installed. Enough space and easy to get at .
Nov 12, 2015, 11:45 AM
I use the 12gr Metal gear Hobby King servos ... leave out the ply mounts .. just hot glue straight into the foam slots.
The rear servos ... I don't fit into the white EPP foam ... I actually set into the RED strip sides so the servos are sitting side on and flush ... much neater and they then do not conflict with each other through the fuselage.
I use a separate Orange 3 axis Stab ... as so far they have not produced a FrSky / 3axis combined unit yet ... and I will not change from FrSky just to get a unit !!

Nigel
Nov 12, 2015, 12:21 PM
I replaced all of the tail end flying surfaces with 6 mm Depron. No need for the ugly bracing shown. It's plenty strong enough on its own and much lighter.
Being lighter, I'm running a Cheetah 2217-09 which has more than enough power to pull out of a hover vertically.

Gord.
Nov 12, 2015, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
I replaced all of the tail end flying surfaces with 6 mm Depron. No need for the ugly bracing shown. It's plenty strong enough on its own and much lighter.
Being lighter, I'm running a Cheetah 2217-09 which has more than enough power to pull out of a hover vertically.

Gord.
What ugly bracing ?

Having built two of these now .. I find the factory set-up fine and works as is ... the posts about adding CF to rudders etc. are in my view unnecessary.

The model is designed to fly at slow speeds or in stalled condition relying on prop-wash and large surfaces to enable 3D ... The model is not designed for speed and sport aerobatics where airflow will load up surfaces past what the EPP is suitable for.

Nigel
Nov 12, 2015, 01:22 PM
Man these instructions suck, pics couldn't be any smaller,

I think I will glue the wing together then read up on the build tips and start the rest this weekend,
Nov 12, 2015, 01:33 PM
San Mateo, CA
Quote:

I think I will glue the wing together then read up on the build tips and start the rest this weekend,
Check this build out

Hobby King Hummer EPP 3D Plane 1000mm Unboxing And Building 3hr 35 Mints (12 min 30 sec)
Nov 12, 2015, 01:40 PM
Quote:

Woah ... just slow down ... I agree when you first pick up the sheet ... you think Oh S*** ... but relax ... lay out the pieces ... look at the sheet and digest .. it all then comes together ...

It's not as bad as initially appears ...........

Nigel

Quick Reply