Sep 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

[UNOFFICIAL] New HobbyKing MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module

HERE'S the link of the board.. from HK (click here)

it cost $65.26 and about $3 for shipping

there is some board identical to this:
ALL IN ONE PRO Flight Controller v1.0

and

I have so many question about this board too..
i'll update it later

Last edited by benybee; Feb 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2012, 04:10 AM
I've ordered one. Hopefully it will work OK with arduplaneng. The GPS looks to be decent quality.

The same board is available on Goodluckbuy for $90 without the GPS module...
Sep 07, 2012, 04:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstermash
I've ordered one. Hopefully it will work OK with arduplaneng. The GPS looks to be decent quality.

The same board is available on Goodluckbuy for $90 without the GPS module...
how about the io port?
is it the same with cirus AIOP
Sep 07, 2012, 05:03 AM
Don't know. I've never seen a Crius AIO in the flesh and it'll be a little over a week until I get this one.
Sep 07, 2012, 09:26 AM
So this is just a multi-copter controller?
Sep 07, 2012, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer
So this is just a multi-copter controller?
because this board is open, you can use this whatever you want to control
Sep 07, 2012, 03:45 PM
That's what it's been designed for. But yeah, can be anything with the right firmware. Unfortunately because it's been an expensive board before now, nobody's taken the time and effort to utilise all its potential functions.
Sep 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
Received the board today from HobbyKing .

After reading about all the broken Micro USB connectors on other FC like the Crius AIOP , I had a good look at the USB connector BEFORE connecting anything.

The micro USB connector is soldered to the board at the rear corners and also has 2 tabs half way down the sides.

Close inspection reveals that it does NOT have a lot of solder to hold it in place and YES it is likely to break off without some extra solder.

The side tabs do not appear to have been well soldered, my guess, surface mount automated soldering has not applied sufficient heat to get the solder flowing well around the tabs which are part of the larger metal connector shell, using a fine tipped soldering iron, care is required specially on the side near the pin headers, re soldered the metal tabs and also the rear corners of the connector, I don't think it will come off now.

Do keep in mind that is a very small connector and the cable can be used to apply sufficient leverage to rip it clean off the board, no amount of extra solder will prevent that, so be real careful not to apply sideways forces to the cable when plugged into the board.

The quality of the board, the soldering of all the other components, I can't fault it, all looks excellent.

Lots of information now in the files tab for the product at HobbyKing.

Some photos

The tabs I mentioned earlier, this photo of the unit as shipped

I connected the GPS to Serial 2, and the flashing LED on the GPS went steady fairly quickly.

The LEDs on the FC board itself are very bright.

I am running Windows 7 x64, when I first connected the FC, W7 reported it can't find a driver, then a short while later a link to the Silabs driver pops up, downloaded Silab drivers, unplugged the USB, plugged USB back in, a SIlabs window popped up and I installed the drivers, I then had to unplug and plug back in the USB one more time for W7 to see the FC correctly installed on a COM Port, all good so far.

Now have to learn about this gizmo and see if I can make it work.
Sep 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
Further progress, read the documentation on the HK product page "files" modified Mutliwii_2_1, for hexcopter and enabled the GPS which is connected to the supplied headers on Serial 2, compiled uploaded, GPS is working GUI works, GPS locks indoors under a metal roof!, all seems good so far on bench test, now to fit it to a frame. I did NOT have to modify anything on the GPS itself.

By the way, like many other Barometers the supplied BMP085 is sensitive to Light and any prop wash, so it does need to be shielded from both LIGHT and PROP wash.

EDIT:
Connected to Spektrum AR9020 Receiver using a single cable to the SRXL output, all working very easily so far, ready to connect some motors

Last edited by jabram; Sep 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added photos of connection to AR9020
Sep 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
A man with too many toys
The most important thing is the firmware and PC based telemetry software.

How does it compare to my APM 2?

Sep 18, 2012, 12:20 PM
I got the MWC MEGA v1.0 in the mail a few days ago. Seemed to work out of the box, but GPS mode was not activated. I loaded MultiWii v2.1 into the board and finally got it to work. Question, Does anyone know what parameters to change in the default config.h file? I selected QUADX, enabled GPS according to the files on HK, and selected FFIMUv2 from the Combined IMU section. Works well with servos on the ESC ports (just to test directions), but haven't connected motors yet.
Sep 19, 2012, 04:41 AM
megapirate NG firmware please someone.......
Sep 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm watching with interest - This board with GPS for the money seems like good value. I have the AIOP board plus GPS and I'm planning to run MPNG, in process of tuning and testing. Here is the link for the AIOP thread which may be helpful. Plenty of discussion and examples about editing config.h files etc for both Multiwii and MPNG - beware which is under discussion to avoid confusion.

The AIOP thread has moved quickly so some earlier fixes / discussions and are not relevant now

The issue with the weak mini USB socket has been raised many times. The best fix is to epoxy the socket to the board - taking care not to let the epoxy into the socket (like I did).

There is a blue tooth module here for AIOP / MultiWii and it can also be used with MPNG via Mission Planner.
Sep 23, 2012, 07:36 AM
Learn to fly with thumb..
Hi Jabram,
We are really hopping that you could test the board with megapirate firmware, please keep sharing the result with us..
Sep 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
Im interested how the 2 boards compare (HK MultiWii Pro vs ATOP). I was looking for an OSD with RTH, stablizer until i I stumbled upon the AIOP thread and now this HK flight controller . I fly mostly fixed wing so would be interested in ArduPlane. Will it work with this HK board?

Neither board is widely used but they are both cheaper than APM2. Any differences between the ATOP and the HK? The HK board will likely sell better due to $$

Quick Reply