Oct 31, 2012, 01:59 PM
Stuka vor!

Install at my FMS Stuka "How To"

Hi to all,

i got my budget module this week and made a few pics of install in my FMS Stuka.

All you need is a sharp knife and a ruler.
You need to cut out the foam both sides of the wing as near as possible to cg. Be careful not to cut to near to the front wing spar. The rabbet on the speaker box holds the module in place.

For this mark the cuts at the installed wing. As seen from the side, do a cut like an Y which refers to the red speaker box, upwards to the fuselage. Do this at both wing parts.

Now itīs time to cut the fuselage. I measured from the wings front to the cut and transferred this to fuselage. Its easyer to cut from the compartment inside the fuselage, so i pushed toothpics from the bottom in to see where i have to cut.

Then cut the fuselage and do also a little cut for the volume control. No you can attach wings back to fuselage. Be careful, the little holes in the red speaker box should not be closed by foam, the speaker needs them to breath.

At last do a small slice around the speaker on the wing and pull in the mesh with a thin tool like a blunt edge.

And now itīs time to have fun with it!

I just dont have a flight video, here in germany we have snow and itīs f...... cold out there. Iīll do one if weather will be better the next days.

At last: I hope my "how to" is ok, iīm not the best writer in english. If you find mistakes, tell me how to write it correct....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2012, 07:43 PM
Feeling the THRALL
Dr. Schlot,

Thank you for the excellent summary with pictures of your Stuka installation!

If my German was as good as your English I would be quite proud of myself.

I look forward to some video of your Stuka. One of my favorite RC videos is of the FMS Stuka by a contributor named WarderSeeker. Take a look, I think you will be impressed:

Cheers,

Jackson

The new FMS Stuka (3 min 49 sec)
Nov 01, 2012, 06:45 AM
Thread OP
Hey guys,
I saw a couple of questions. I will try to repond to them shortly this morning. First, I wanted to say GREAT JOB dr.schlot! I normally put them on the inside mounted with velcro, so the unit can still be easily moved from plane to plane.

I have decided to use this method in my new FMS P-38, since I will not be moving it from that plane. This will be a twin engine sound system. The P-38 was almost built for this! There is plenty of room in the engine compartments for the sound units. I will put more pictures up as I progress further.

Andrew
http://www.MrRCSound.com
Nov 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Here are the rest of the pictures. I think it turned out pretty good, and it sounds great too.

Just an update, all units are now back in stock.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com
Nov 01, 2012, 04:11 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?

Romney's face

I think I see him...He still looks constipated
Nov 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X
I think I see him...He still looks constipated
haha.....

The more I look at the wrinkles, I think it looks more like Ted Danson than Mitt.
Nov 01, 2012, 08:52 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
I am installing my minis behind my P47's intercooler doors that are made of plastic. Do you think the sound will penetrate better if I drill a lot of very small holes in a mesh pattern (like maybe 1/32), or fewer larger holes in a mesh pattern (like maybe 3/8)?
Nov 01, 2012, 09:09 PM
Feeling the THRALL
Hi Andrew,

Great job on the P-38 installation. I am curious if you are going to hook the two sound systems up to the throttle channel or mix through another channel? If a mix, will the sound units be in perfect synch or will you try to have a slight offset between the two for that twin-like sound of motors that are slightly out-of-synch.

Am working on my P-47 tonight. Hope to have her airborne again soon.

Jackson
Nov 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
I am installing my minis behind my P47's intercooler doors that are made of plastic. Do you think the sound will penetrate better if I drill a lot of very small holes in a mesh pattern (like maybe 1/32), or fewer larger holes in a mesh pattern (like maybe 3/8)?
Yes, a series of holes would help. The majority of sound is going to come from the main speakers, but a few holes will help with these small ones.

Andrew
Nov 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone
Hi Andrew,

Great job on the P-38 installation. I am curious if you are going to hook the two sound systems up to the throttle channel or mix through another channel? If a mix, will the sound units be in perfect synch or will you try to have a slight offset between the two for that twin-like sound of motors that are slightly out-of-synch.

Am working on my P-47 tonight. Hope to have her airborne again soon.

Jackson
I mixed them trhough another channel. My original intent was to do like I did on the C-47 so that each engine has it's own start up and shut down. It could still be done, but it would be a wireing mess. As it is, there are a lot of wires cramed in a small space on this plane. I was able, using end point adjustments, to get the motor start, and sound to match perfectly. As it is, there is a slight difference in the sound modules startup timing, so it has a nice slightly out of sync sound. I think it will be hard to hear on a video, but in person walking around the plane while in idle, sounds awesome!

Andrew
Nov 03, 2012, 12:04 AM
Feeling the THRALL

P-47 Progress

Finished getting the Hobby King 1600mm P-47 ready for remaiden tonight. I have installed new landing gear retracts, struts and wheels. Also replaced the stock motor with a Heads Up RC 60-sized motor. A brief test at full power pulled 123 amps and 1850 watts on the stock 4 blade prop. The motor is rated at 1250 watts and the ESC is 80 amps, so both are being exceeded at full power. I have since programmed the throttle curve to deliver only 80% of max power, and found that full throttle pulled 1275 amps at exactly 80 amps. Since the props will unload in the air, thus reducing the power load while flying, I feel comfortable with this setting for sustained flight.

The purpose of these changes is to fix an inherently weak landing gear system and provide adequate power for spirited flight. I hope to report "mission accomplished" tomorrow. Then I will finish up the scale details like attaching bombs and missile launchers. Also, do the final positioning and fine-tuning of the sound system. I have purchased steel speaker mesh to cover the 2 inch speakers. When finished, I expect that the speaker installation will blend well with the rest of the plane.

FYI I am flying the P-47 with a 2 x 4000 mAh 4S battery system in parallel. So, effectively 8 amps at 1 C. The batteries are 40-50 C. I have eight of these batteries, so enough batteries for four flights. With some throttle management I am hoping for 6-8 minute flight duration.

Wish me luck on the maiden!

Jackson
Nov 03, 2012, 10:14 PM
Feeling the THRALL

P-47 Remaiden Report

Powered up and took off without incident. Had some issues with the landing gear, so I decided to just leave them down. This issue is binding and requires more room for the gear on closing.

Flew the P-47 in gentle circles for awhile. Looks and sounds great. Trim was pretty good, just needed a couple of clicks of up.

Then I started doing touch-n-gos. Nice open pattern, ease off throttle, drop flaps, line up on runway, manage descent with throttle and elevator. Made three very smooth touch-n-gos and was applying throttle to climb out for another when the plane lost power and headed for the ground. Managed to land smoothly in a field but still had gear break off.

I am guessing that the (cheap 80 amp) stock ESC got overloaded. My next step is to replace with a quality 100 amp ESC. Will fix the gear and get the sound system fine-tuned at the same time. Next remaiden I should have everything working well.

Regards,

Jackson
Nov 04, 2012, 06:50 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Man, even at 1275 watts you have way more than enough power. I would imagine that plane not weighing more than 10 pounds.
The experts here say that the ESC should be capable of handling at least 10% more than you throw at it. You were not there at all. I doubt it had to do with it being a "cheap" ESC.
Do it again and give us some video!
Nov 04, 2012, 07:59 AM
Citizen of the Universe
Hello, I ordered an ultra system on the 28th of October, can you tell me when I can expect the unit?
Thanks, Denny
Nov 04, 2012, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious101010
Hello, I ordered an ultra system on the 28th of October, can you tell me when I can expect the unit?
Thanks, Denny
Hi Denny,
Sorry for the delay on your order. I had some issues with a parts supplier. The last of the parts came in on Thursday. Your unit is built, and tested. It will be going out on Monday. I ship via USPS Priority, so I would expect it in about Wed. or Thurs. Again, sorry about the delay.

Andrew
http://www.mrrcsound.com

Quick Reply