May 07, 2013, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
I have a DX8 and really like it and I paid $360 for it including the telemetry. I looked at the Turnigy 9X, read the 9X threads and concluded it was more like building your own radio vs. buying one and using it. The 9X almost has a cult like following. QC problems it has are ignored or overlooked by devotees of the radio. It is like anything from Hobbyking, you buy two in case one is bad.

I fly at club with many giant scale planes and turbine jets. Not one uses a 9X.
Seriously? I have never had to build my radio. It just works out of the box. The user interface could be friendlier though. That being said, if you have $5k wrapped up in a giant scale plane, I can see why one would go with a top notch radio. If you have that much invested, no need to skimp on the radio.

I have not had one single problem with either of mine, or any QC problems. During flying season I use it a few times a week, minimum, and never a glitch.

I tend to beat the heck out of my planes anyway with the short field landings, so I see no need for a high dollar radio on a cheap plane that has been broken multiple times.

To each his own, it was just my suggestion for a cheap alternitive. No radio wars. Back to topic.

Andrew
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2013, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying
Seriously? I have never had to build my radio. It just works out of the box. The user interface could be friendlier though. That being said, if you have $5k wrapped up in a giant scale plane, I can see why one would go with a top notch radio. If you have that much invested, no need to skimp on the radio.

I have not had one single problem with either of mine, or any QC problems. During flying season I use it a few times a week, minimum, and never a glitch.

I tend to beat the heck out of my planes anyway with the short field landings, so I see no need for a high dollar radio on a cheap plane that has been broken multiple times.

To each his own, it was just my suggestion for a cheap alternitive. No radio wars. Back to topic.

Andrew
No radio wars needed or intended. The cheap alternative for a 2.4 ghz radio makes this fun hobby accessible by more and more people. I chose the Spektrum DX8 because the DX6, DX6i and DX7 I own were perfectly reliable. I still fly with the original DSM AR6000 receivers which take forever to reboot. Plus, the DSM2 receivers are now being dumped by Spektrum through overseas etailers at signficantly reduced prices.

Bill
May 07, 2013, 10:01 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
No radio wars needed or intended. The cheap alternative for a 2.4 ghz radio makes this fun hobby accessible by more and more people. I chose the Spektrum DX8 because the DX6, DX6i and DX7 I own were perfectly reliable. I still fly with the original DSM AR6000 receivers which take forever to reboot. Plus, the DSM2 receivers are now being dumped by Spektrum through overseas etailers at signficantly reduced prices.

Bill
What do you do with the older radios??? I would be silly and pointless to me to have two. (although I do have several "junk" freebie blitz rc 5ch units) What overseas e-tailer is getting spektrum DSM2 receivers? Orange dsm2 are not spektrum units nor do they "prof"ess to be. And Hobby King does not sell spektrum either. So please explain.
May 07, 2013, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHarrison
The tube is a small step towards the ideal of an "infinite baffle" but this is not the same effect that a horn has. But as Andrew has said it probably also increases the directionality of the sound as well.
Hmmmm... a 'one true audio geek.' I'm ready to start fairly intrusive surgery on a Sig Senior wing (both wings really) to install a V4 system. I need a little advice as to what to do to help improve bass response, obviously the weakest link in the 2"-speaker-food-chain.

I'm looking at http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Tutorial/SpeakerBox/ but that's about 'normal' speaker enclosures nothing like this. However seeing the extreme accuracy of dimensions it uses it's possible that this thing could be optimised - if I had a clue how to go about working the numbers.

The one thing I know is that I've got 22ci of speaker enclosure (subtracting the speaker.) That's the first segment of the wing. I could also use the second segment with 26ci if you think that would make much difference.

I know I can improve things by building enclosure as solid as possible. Can't do much really except line the existing balsa with plywood, use epoxy, and make sure it's sealed.

I do need to open two ventilation holes, one in front of the speaker and one behind it. The one behind will be slightly larger to encourage venturi as the plane moves through the air.

Obviously two holes will calculate differently from one but all I'm asking for is your best guesstimate.

So the Qs are:

1) Is there an optimal total sum area of the two ports?

The other thing I know I need to do related to that is that similar to fuse ventilation the air outlet should be 3-5x the size (area) of the air inlet. That arithmetic I can work out.

2) Can you recommend a length for tubes added to the ports? Maybe even the smaller/larger ports should have different lengths?

I don't know if I'm wasting my time bothering to think about all of this, or if it might turn into an interesting bunch of factoics for other speakers-in-wings folks.
May 07, 2013, 10:49 PM
casual park flyer
I had a Sig Senior 21 years ago. hauled a rather hefty 12" long Hi-8 camcorder up. This was mounted in the belly pointing ahead through a angled piece of plexiglas. Powered with a 48 Surpass 4-stroke. I added struts for better wing security. Shot some pretty good video too. This was long before the anyone knew what a UAV was. Or FPV for that matter. But anyway that fuselage has got room for some serious electronics and heftier speakers. Why install in the wings? Seems you'd get better bass, etc. mounted in a box in the fuselage. I guess we need to see a sketch of what your planning
Last edited by 52Sabre; May 07, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
May 07, 2013, 11:23 PM
Andrew, I picked up my V4 and it is as advertised and then some. Its so loud that it actually hurts my ears while using indoors.....LOL. I showed my son his future A10 sound, aka, airplane 6, and he plugged his ears frantically and it left my right ear ringing. SWEEEEEEEEET. Now just to tweak the setup with my 9XR. Videos to follow!!!!

And on that note id never buy a big name brand name radio when you can get the 9XR for 10% of the price of pretty much the same thing. No fanboy here btw, ive been converted from the spektrum DX6i and JR9503. The 9XR with the FrSky module is the best combo out there IMO.
May 08, 2013, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL13
...and he plugged his ears frantically and it left my right ear ringing.
Yeah, be careful, that ringing = 'damage.' I've got 40 years worth of tinitis from my very first industrial job using a cutoff saw on extruded aluminum tubing and they didn't give us earplugs. On the *PLUS* side I hear it *ONLY* when I'm *AWAKE* I ran my sound board for only about 5 seconds before I shut it off and got the earplugs in. Seriously, especially for the kid, ringing = damage.
May 08, 2013, 05:19 AM
casual park flyer
Mine are at a point I don't notice it so bad. Fired it up in a quiet neighborhood after midnight with the window open. Wondered why no one talked to me the next day. I no longer can hear things like light wind rustling leaves or rain outside the window. But it's been that way a couple if years now. Love of motorcycles plus air powered tools at work are causes no doubt. Flying a lot of 1/2A and control line engines with out any hearing protection when I was younger hasn't helped either.
Last edited by 52Sabre; May 08, 2013 at 05:31 AM.
May 08, 2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk
Hmmmm... a 'one true audio geek.' I'm ready to start fairly intrusive surgery on a Sig Senior wing (both wings really) to install a V4 system. I need a little advice as to what to do to help improve bass response, obviously the weakest link in the 2"-speaker-food-chain.

I'm looking at http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Tutorial/SpeakerBox/ but that's about 'normal' speaker enclosures nothing like this. However seeing the extreme accuracy of dimensions it uses it's possible that this thing could be optimised - if I had a clue how to go about working the numbers.

The one thing I know is that I've got 22ci of speaker enclosure (subtracting the speaker.) That's the first segment of the wing. I could also use the second segment with 26ci if you think that would make much difference.

I know I can improve things by building enclosure as solid as possible. Can't do much really except line the existing balsa with plywood, use epoxy, and make sure it's sealed.

I do need to open two ventilation holes, one in front of the speaker and one behind it. The one behind will be slightly larger to encourage venturi as the plane moves through the air.

Obviously two holes will calculate differently from one but all I'm asking for is your best guesstimate.

So the Qs are:

1) Is there an optimal total sum area of the two ports?

The other thing I know I need to do related to that is that similar to fuse ventilation the air outlet should be 3-5x the size (area) of the air inlet. That arithmetic I can work out.

2) Can you recommend a length for tubes added to the ports? Maybe even the smaller/larger ports should have different lengths?

I don't know if I'm wasting my time bothering to think about all of this, or if it might turn into an interesting bunch of factoics for other speakers-in-wings folks.
You have the space, so just find a small DIY 2" horn design and there will be LOUD SOUNDS from the skies!
Cheers Lasse
May 08, 2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
What do you do with the older radios??? I would be silly and pointless to me to have two. (although I do have several "junk" freebie blitz rc 5ch units) What overseas e-tailer is getting spektrum DSM2 receivers? Orange dsm2 are not spektrum units nor do they "prof"ess to be. And Hobby King does not sell spektrum either. So please explain.
Spektrum is either dumping their DSM2 radios and receivers or the subcontractor in China who produces them for Spektrum is simply ignoring patent infringement. Targethobby.com carries a range of receivers for DSM2 applications. . Targethobby is very careful to not "prof"ess them as Spektrum either. They use Spectrum to identify them. For example, they have DX6i DSM2 / DSM radio with a AR6200 for $109. I have bought several AR6200 receivers for my planes and they range check at 100 paces. TargetHobby does not sell DSMX receivers, nor does Hobbyking.

That said, I own a giant scale Hangar 9 Cub gasser. I fly it with a DX8 and the Spektrum AR8000 receiver. However, if I only had my DX7 or DX6i I would use one of the range checked AR6200 receivers in the plane.

You asked what do I do with the old radios. Answer, I keep them since they are full of planes that I fly. I could put them all on one radio but it a PITA to set each one up again.
Last edited by Prof100; May 08, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
May 08, 2013, 02:18 PM
Prof, do you know if the 6200 that Targethobby carries is the exact same unit that the subcontractor makes for Horizon, or is it maybe a knockoff?
May 08, 2013, 02:48 PM
casual park flyer
Prof - I wish I had time and funds for all of that. Thanks for sharing.
May 08, 2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
I had a Sig Senior 21 years ago. hauled a rather hefty 12" long Hi-8 camcorder up. This was mounted in the belly pointing ahead through a angled piece of plexiglas.
Electric, things are mounted differently and -access- is different. Your gas tank was mounted permanently between the dash and the firewall. My batteries are mounted in the front seat, and I have to be able to remove them. My back seat is filled with an electric flour-based smoke system prototype. My area between dash and firewall is filled with a hodgpodge of aux battery, ESC, BEC, safety interlock, two now gonna be three switches, and now I have to add the sound amp there. As I was writing this I only just figured out the *bracket* I need to make to do that and (double checking) yep it'll be fine.

I did think about mounting the speakers in the floor, and building another battery tray above that. But I've got 10S 40oz worth of battery and when I did the gas-electric conversion I was already nervous enough about the structural aspects of mounting it *anywhere*. LOL!!

Wing mount I -think- will also improve sound quality a bit. Fuse-floor mount, pointed straight down, the sound goes straight down. Mounted in the wing -next- to the fuse, any sound that goes sideways to the fuse will bounce away from it 'outwards' rather than just down. Well, it's one speaker on each side vs two mounted in the bottom, so it's probably equal sound either way.

Actually, either floor or wing, I could mount the speakers at a slight angle outwards. Again a coin toss two in floor vs one in each wing.

Quote:
I added struts for better wing security.
I thought about that issue a lot because this does add about 10oz to the wing. The wing joiner is a piece of aluminum plate about 3/4" high, 1/8" deep, and 12" wide. I'm *sure* it can carry a couple hundred pounds of load as long as it's not *twisted*. The speakers will be mounted just aft of that plate, right in the CG in the thickest part of the wing, so as long as I don't go far outboard with them they shouldn't cause much extra twist.
May 08, 2013, 07:04 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
I'm sitting here with my glass of wine and my wife's kiss only adds to the continuous smile on my face. She's just glad I'm having fun.

I put in more air time today than the total of the entire year I've been flying. Yes and I eventually crash them all, easy fixes each. My battery charger just one off just now. Let me change batteries, excuse me for a moment...... okay I'm back.

I'm flying my disposable planes, a GWS E-Starter, Titan a 5 foot combat wing which is based on John Northrop's YB-49 flying wing. My Bixler sky surfer. I eventually crash them all. Each an easy fix. I racked up more flight time today than the entire year I've been involved with RC aircraft. The little E-Starter is my learn to land with wheels plane. I landed it over and over however ugly. I've never landed a plane with wheels until today.

I don't covet any of these planes WEEEEELL may be the big 5 foot flying wing because it will get the Andrew sound system with six small speakers and the turbine sound. It will be repainted as the YB49 and flown gracefully in honor of John Northrop as you know that plane eventually became the B2 stealth bomber. It flew beautifully. Everyone said "that thing looks great in the sky".

This was a break through today in my RC experience. I can see a future in flying my heavy airplanes, my big scale P 50 1D, my 5 1/2 pound Cessna 182, my Beechcraft stagger wing etc.

DJ
BTW: all my planes were flown on higher rates. Hundred percent with a lot of Expo. I want to get used to a single, general set up for most of my planes. Thanks for listening to all this stuff. If you have not flown a flying wing you have no idea what you are missing the best of them are absolutely beautiful in the sky. Go to "crash test hobbies" look at the plane called the assassin, watch the videos. Then look at the plane "Titan" and watch it fly, it's breathtaking and they are unbreakable airplanes. I gave a great demonstration of that to everyone today.
May 08, 2013, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
I'm sitting here with my glass of wine and my wife's kiss only adds to the continuous smile on my face. She's just glad I'm having fun.

I put in more air time today than the total of the entire year I've been flying. Yes and I eventually crash them all, easy fixes each. My battery charger just one off just now. Let me change batteries, excuse me for a moment...... okay I'm back.

I'm flying my disposable planes, a GWS E-Starter, Titan a 5 foot combat wing which is based on John Northrop's YB-49 flying wing. My Bixler sky surfer. I eventually crash them all. Each an easy fix. I racked up more flight time today than the entire year I've been involved with RC aircraft. The little E-Starter is my learn to land with wheels plane. I landed it over and over however ugly. I've never landed a plane with wheels until today.

I don't covet any of these planes WEEEEELL may be the big 5 foot flying wing because it will get the Andrew sound system with six small speakers and the turbine sound. It will be repainted as the YB49 and flown gracefully in honor of John Northrop as you know that plane eventually became the B2 stealth bomber. It flew beautifully. Everyone said "that thing looks great in the sky".

This was a break through today in my RC experience. I can see a future in flying my heavy airplanes, my big scale P 50 1D, my 5 1/2 pound Cessna 182, my Beechcraft stagger wing etc.

DJ
BTW: all my planes were flown on higher rates. Hundred percent with a lot of Expo. I want to get used to a single, general set up for most of my planes. Thanks for listening to all this stuff. If you have not flown a flying wing you have no idea what you are missing the best of them are absolutely beautiful in the sky. Go to "crash test hobbies" look at the plane called the assassin, watch the videos. Then look at the plane "Titan" and watch it fly, it's breathtaking and they are unbreakable airplanes. I gave a great demonstration of that to everyone today.
Come on up to NY sometime DJ, we will get you some serious stick time. Get you flying off the short field in no time. I have the added incentive to not crashing, if you crash in the swamp, you have to go get it. I think you would find yourself crashing less.

Andrew

Quick Reply