This thread is privately moderated by RCPtero, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 04, 2012, 10:22 PM
KJ4YNM
Thread OP
Build Log

Magnetic Building Board

I've been thinking of putting together a magnetic building system before I continue with any of my airplane builds.

I picked up a 3' x 8' piece of 26 gauge galvanized steel at a local HVAC dealer this afternoon for about $15. The dealer is part of a chain, so folks can find them many places. (R.E. Michel Company).

I also ordered 500 cabinet magnet latches, part MAG-123, from All Electronics for a total of $174 with shipping. I'm going to cut my own jigs based on the one on Airfield Models site here. Details on making the fixtures can be found in the graphic in the zip file here. I figure 500 magnets will let me make about 100 fixtures. That should be plenty for anything I'm building in the near future.

I'm planning to build a torsion box as described by the Wood Whisperer podcast number 18 (Wood Whisperer #18), although I am going to do some of the changes identified here: Len's Torsion Box. Instead of making the hardboard removable like the Wood Whisperer does, I'm going to replace the hard board with the galvanized steel, but will use contact cement to put it in place permanently. My overall size when I'm done will have a 3' x 6' metal surface to build upon.

--
Tom
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero
I also ordered 500 cabinet magnet latches, part MAG-123, from All Electronics for a total of $174 with shipping. I'm going to cut my own jigs based on the one on Airfield Models site here. Details on making the fixtures can be found in the graphic in the zip file here. I figure 500 magnets will let me make about 100 fixtures. That should be plenty for anything I'm building in the near future.
Is this the item you were referring to:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-MAGNET/1.html

I also bought some of those cabinet latch magnets from Allelectronics a while back.
Sep 05, 2012, 05:57 AM
KJ4YNM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney_Driver
Is this the item you were referring to:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-MAGNET/1.html

I also bought some of those cabinet latch magnets from Allelectronics a while back.
Yes, that's the direct link.

--
Tom
Sep 12, 2012, 06:24 AM
KJ4YNM
Thread OP
For better or worse, I've decided to use OSB instead of MDF. My thoughts are that the grain direction being mixed up will offer stability while being considerably lighter and cheaper. Time will tell about whether or not it fits the bill. If not, then I'll have to build another board.

I cut the inner pieces to rough length and width night before last, then ran one edge over the jointer to make sure they're straight. Then last night I cut the steel and top/bottom boards to rough length. I hate working with a circular saw and will have to flush cut the ends of the wood once it's glued up to make everything nice and flush. Then I'll file down the edges of the steel to match.

--
Tom
Oct 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
KJ4YNM
Thread OP
Well, I may be ending this build a little early. We're clearing out of our current office at work and have to remove a steel clad door. It looks pretty straight by eyeball. I'm taking a straight edge in tomorrow and if it's straight, I'll have my building surface premade.

--
Tom

Quick Reply