New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by studioRS
Klassische Bilder
Studied your photos again, does look like the beesknees.

Qs...
- What aileron stock did you use?
- Hinges or tape?
- Servos are the stock units also? Do you notice the servo weight hanging out on the wings?
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
I used 3/8"X1 1/2" stock from Esprit then just cut it in half. Then I removed as much material as I needed from the leading edge. I should have sanded them a bit more before I painted them because, after I hinged them, they stick out about 1/16" from the trailing edge.

http://www.espritmodel.com/balsastoc...ge36915mm.aspx

I used tape hinges and went with HXT900 servos from Hobby King. There wasn't anything apparently wrong with the stock servos but I put them through a bit of punishment carving them out of the wing roots and I had the 900s on hand. I can't say that I notice any issues with the weight but, since I have about three times the aileron sensitivity, I don't know how it would manifest a problem.

The only thing I might change is to go with a Z-bend on the servo end and an EZ connector on the control horn. The pushrods are only 1 1/2" long and the threaded portion of the rod is into the EZ connectors on the servos so it's a bit of a process to adjust the length. They work just fine but it ended up being a bit of a cobble job.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by kostuk
Hi,
I was wondering if this is the same ASW28 offered by Tower Hobbies?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXACFX&P=ML
Also can you point to the dihedral mod made to it and flying weight?
Thanks,
Ray
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:05 PM
Hi, Ray.

Mine is the ST Models from Tower. For the dihedral mod I wanted to use 1/4" aluminum but it wouldn't fit inside the provided CF tube so I used 3/16" steel rod 8 inches long. I cut the stock joiner in half then I bent the steel rod to 5 degrees. Then I wrapped the ends and middle of the rod with Skyloft (basically very thin fiberglass cloth made out of nylon) until it fit tight. Then I soaked the Skyloft with thinned epoxy and filled the rest of the area with epoxy thickened with talcum powder. I did one half at a time and let it set with the steel end down so that the very center would be filled even if there was a void towards the end.

My flying weight, depending on which battery I'm using, is 600-650 grams. That's with three coats of paint, the aforementioned steel joiner, an aluminum spinner, and the aileron mod. I'm also using a 1050kv motor and ESC from a little foam Extra 300 but, although I don't worry about using a 3 cell battery, it's a pretty wimpy motor. I didn't have a watt meter when I had the stock motor in it but the new one only puts out about 100 watts. The stock power train and prop is adequate but still a rather sedate rate of climb. Feel free to ask if I've left anything out.

Cheers!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Klassische Bilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if this is the same ASW28 offered by Tower Hobbies?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXACFX&P=ML
Also can you point to the dihedral mod made to it and flying weight?
Thanks,
Ray
Yes, correct the ST Model ASW-28 from Tower. Just wait for free shipping on $99 or more.

Peter nailed it on the dihedreal mod, I think my version might need epoxying. I choose a tighter fit aluminium stock (an old tent camping peg) and sanded some to fit snug inside the carbon spar, CA glued together. After a few aggressive flights and dives this has come unglued. Peter's fix should do it.

Here is a photo of my dihedreal mod, pilot for inspection (he must not have been paying attention at the time appearently...)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
I realized that I forgot to link to Skyloft. It's tough to use with paint on solid foam or a sheeted surface because of the way it stretches and shrinks but I use it instead of fiberglass for reinforcing. I've also done some medium sized areas with epoxy or CA and it works great.

http://www.dbproducts.com/store/skyl.htm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez

canopy

any link to a canopy for the 28?
hk does not carry it, and i have no idea who does.

or, who makes the plane?
maybe he can supply it.
i got an extra fuse and would like to get the canopy for it.
thanks
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hi, phil.

Mine came from Tower Hobbies so it might be worth giving them a call or you could try reaching ST models.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by phil alvirez

link

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, phil.

Mine came from Tower Hobbies so it might be worth giving them a call or you could try reaching ST models.
thanks. tried tower but they don't have a toll free to canada, and their list does not show the canopy.
then tried google and found ripmax in england, that carries it, but it is 6 pounds sterling, + sh (who knows how much more).
as a comparison, they carry the spare fuselage for 25 pounds, compared with us$12 that i paid hk.
but can't find my way to buy it. anybody knows how to order from them? their website does not show.
and i have been unable to order from st. no price list, ordering data.
thanks
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
Find More Posts by iwchris
Hi guys

I have only just noticed this sailplane when looking online last week, I think that here in the UK our suppliers are only just starting to stock them, or I haven't noticed them before, and after looking at this forum I think that I have got to get one, it is such a lovely looking sailplane,and you guys seem to to love them.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hi, iwchris.

She is really beautiful in the air and soars pretty well for a 2 meter scale foamy. However, there is a bit of work involved in getting the best out of the airframe. It's not terribly hard or expensive to get dialed in but I do not consider it ready to fly out of the box. The ailerons in particular leave much to be desired and I did have to change a servo, due to poor centering, before I even flew it. All that being said; i really do enjoy flying her. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by iwchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, iwchris.

She is really beautiful in the air and soars pretty well for a 2 meter scale foamy. However, there is a bit of work involved in getting the best out of the airframe. It's not terribly hard or expensive to get dialed in but I do not consider it ready to fly out of the box. The ailerons in particular leave much to be desired and I did have to change a servo, due to poor centering, before I even flew it. All that being said; i really do enjoy flying her. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
Thanks Peter, I don't mind having to do a bit to a model of this type, I have ST Model Blaze and have done quite a bit to that over two years of flying, guess I will asking a few questions on the ASW when I get it.
Thanks
Chris
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:13 AM
Klassische Bilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
any link to a canopy for the 28?
hk does not carry it, and i have no idea who does.

or, who makes the plane?
maybe he can supply it.
i got an extra fuse and would like to get the canopy for it.
thanks
I called Towerhobbies.com and inquired about a replacement canopy, even asked about looking in their spares bin. Unfortunately, they don't have any. If you are lucky enough to find one used great.

I'm going to inquire about a spare through the UK and use my original to make a plug from and then make a few spares with soda bottles.
Last edited by studioRS; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:35 AM
Klassische Bilder
Gents, I just inquired about spare canopies through Sussex Model Centre in the UK. They've been around for ever, extremely responsive (a Ripmax / ST Model distributor) and are really great to deal with. I've sourced the Art-Tech ASK-21 spinner and propeller set from them before, which i use on my ASW-28 and shipping to USA was easy. MoF, I have another order in for more spinners and props and will advise on the ASW-28 canopy.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the club, iwchris!

I just wanted to be clear about the ASW 28 needing some work. It's a good airframe at a very good price but one will see reviews panning it from guys who don't fix its problems.

Now? I'm off to see if I can rip the wings off with a HK 2834 motor!