Idea for NEAT that should benefit all - Page 4 - RC Groups
Sep 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
If everybody flies in the same direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) and faster planes stay up higher (plus that's safer for the crowd in case of servo failure or radio glitch), then there should be no collisions. Even if some "slow" 60MPH planes are also flying, it's still a lot better than having 3D planes and biplanes in the air going every which way.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
If everybody flies in the same direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) and faster planes stay up higher (plus that's safer for the crowd in case of servo failure or radio glitch), then there should be no collisions. Even if some "slow" 60MPH planes are also flying, it's still a lot better than having 3D planes and biplanes in the air going every which way.
I would much rather have a servo failure at 10 feet, than at 200 feet. Seems reasonable - but the fast planes must land and once you give 3D and slow planes the idea they own everything below 50 feet, more accidents. Fast planes still have to land. It's easier to loose orientation flying high, than flying low.

The proposal enables the speed demons to have more fun and to help slower planes fly with fewer speed demons in the air - also having more fun.

I never understood guys thinking flying at 200 feet is any more safe than flying at 20 feet. If you know how to fly there is no danger at 20 feet, and if a servo goes you are safer at 20 feet. Servo choice has never been a cause of crash, unless you are a newbie using cheap equipment. You don't go cheap when you fly fast. I'll bet the 60 mph planes are more likely to break a servo than the 150 mph planes.

I love the guys who come over and say "I was watching your plane while I was flying and you made me crash". Usually they say this while you are flying. I think most speed demons have their own stories of how they cause newbies to crash without ever touching them. One reason we don't like flying with others in the air - unless you're of the same caliber flyer.

Vinnie
Sep 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
zoom-zoom
I love the guys who come over and say "I was watching your plane while I was flying and you made me crash". Usually they say this while you are flying. I think most speed demons have their own stories of how they cause newbies to crash without ever touching them. One reason we don't like flying with others in the air - unless you're of the same caliber flyer.

Vinnie

I Don't think I have cause one to crash,but I know for sure many have landed because I was
flying.
Now I am respectful of other flyers in the sky with me .
They probably land because of the cavitation sound my prop makes on takeoff.

Once I know the pilots have landed I make a mental note and don't share the sky with them.
Better for them And better for me.

OH and this past Sunday while flying at Calverton I did get my prop to stall
and there was and echo at the field.
And there my be an echo at NEAT.

Frank
Sep 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
Rochester, NY
Frank - is she repairable ?
Your speed demon is certainly something many of us enjoy watching leap through the sky, then silently scream around.

I hate scaring guys out of the sky, but you take your slot. It shouldn't shorten someone elses slot though. Ergo the proposal. The guy who complained was a one time incident, but they are most memorable. The worst guys to fly with are the ones who take off after you're in the air and they are oblivious to anyone around them. They are just as likely to fly straight then dive into your plane as anything else. I fly very large circles around anyone in the air, but love the low flight down the middle of the runway. One second of pure adrenaline. I love when everything but your plane melts away and you focus on the path and voice of the guy calling. Pure joy!

Anyway - Two days and counting. I'll be there thurs later afternoon. Stop over for a beer.

Vinnie
Sep 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoFly
Well said Tim, and I too wait for a slot. Only crazy people go up after I launch.

Dmize - I highly doubt there will be carnage - but that assumes wanna be speed demons don't white knuckle a flight with veterans. I'll be the guy coming up quick in your rear view mirror and quickly fading in Franks.
My comment was in fun.... I certainly would not hope for carnage...because I have a few fast ones myself!!!

just thinking of the Multiplex high speed crash during demo last year.... and I think someone else took a high speed crash with a Funjet as well...

safe flyin everyone, I wont be able to make this years event (wife and I are taking a vaca to Europe and leave Friday...)
Sep 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
Fly 3 mistakes high is why flying high is safer. A fast plane's "3 mistakes high" is a lot higher than a slow plane. I didn't mean to say let the 3D planes fly at the same time - the whole idea is to only let fast planes fly. Soemone seemed to not want to allow 60-70MPH planes to fly. I was trying to say the 60MPH planes should fly lower than the 100MPH planes, which is better than the situation in the past of having 3D planes (and slower planes) flying every which way.
Sep 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
Rochester, NY
Flying three mistakes high is what you do when you are learning to fly. It enables you to make three mistakes before you correct. When flying over 100 mph you are not allowed to make one mistake or bad things happen. Fortunately mother earth will weed out those flyers.

Vinnie
Sep 12, 2012, 06:48 PM
Vinnie, you gonna have 550TH pushers with you?
RE
Sep 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonds
Vinnie, you gonna have 550TH pushers with you?
RE
Stop over - something better avail, but only about 16.

I'll be there Thursday afternoon flying and open Friday morning,

One day left !
Vinnie
Sep 17, 2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
Yes

I would go for that. I don't think I will do it this year (but that is not a definite no). I would have to pole the constituancy and see exactly how many guys would consider a go-fast-turn-left (or right) 10 minute slot (if they can even fly that long). putting 6 models up at the same time of that calibre could be very exciting, but also very destructive!

Tom
Having flight slots for particular types of aircraft is a common practice at indoor flies, owing to the limited airspace. In it's own way NEAT is subject to the same limitation, in that pilots are reluctant to fly out toward the trees that seem so close but in fact are quite a ways out.

As a guy who's mostly into helis these days, I'd like to see one or two heli flight slots during the day, since the designated heli area is A) A country mile away and B) A bit confined for flying a larger scale heli (THOSE trees ARE very close).

The down side to specialty flight slots is that it creates a break in the action; all the "regular" airplanes have to land to clear the air for the fast/giant/heli/whatever aircraft to take off. That said, I think it's an idea that has merit.

Jim
Sep 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
Rochester, NY
Tom - thanks for opening a slot for us. It was an absolute blast flying with other speed demons. I was also impressed with how the guys called down wind pattern but into the wind landing. It was the most fun part of the weekend for me.

I'll look forward to doing more of them so we can actually coordinate some flying together. That means we all stand together and someone organizes manuevers for which ever group of guys want to fly together. The faster guys would need to slow a bit to align with others. We could form a couple groups in the air at one time of 2-4 planes and group according to skill. We certainly had more high speed planes this year than ever before and I suspect that will continue.

As for Heli's. Get out of my thread Hahaha. I'm Kidding Jim - I fly with heli guys all the time. I'm used to you guys hogging the sky. I just don't understand why you need the main area to fly. It's not like we can carve out a special area for high speed flyers to get some time to fly. There were ALOT of slow planes flying this year and more high speed than ever.

When is a SPEED FEST going to break out somewhere ?

Vinnie
Oct 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
3d nut

motor

I through with going fast, i can't see the plane, I'm getting old. I proved it yesterday I destroyed my urlta. So if any wont a motor give me a call @ 650-283-6614. I have a super EDF turnigy, 90mm, 1900kv for you. Lets talk price