Sep 06, 2012, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E View Post
All pilots should go through a profficiency evaluation and at the discretion of the flight line boss then be allowed to Fly their stuff....

Seen this scenario all too often that someone shows up with a fast airplane and stuffs it either by the pilot parking area or into the next county.... Then that same pilot is relegated to fly his standby airplane, a wingo.......

dr.E, hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I'm not a noob to flying my fast planes (in a safe manner) rather new to flying at NEAT. Pretty certain I can pass a profficiency eval if necessary....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
If no one responds, look for someone flying fast and when they are exiting the flightline ... make a new friend and ask them to spot for you.

... I will be working the main flight line Fri/Sat 11a-2p and if you haven't found someone (and we have enough HuntGrunt coverage) I will gladly spot for you

Since this is your first time flying at NEAT I only ask that you take a few "get aquainted" flights prior to burning holes in the sky - the tree line and apporaches, while not difficut, are not what I'd call ordinary and do need some time to adjust to.

Generally, there is no boundary to the left towards the entrance road but on the right side we have the slow-fly area. If we are flying a left to right pattern, Turning away before the slow-fly zone and out towards the tree line will need to be executed just about field center at speed. You only get one warning if you fly through the slow-fly zone (which you shouldn't even do once .. next time you will be asked to land). Similarly, right to left pattern requires a turn in from the trees towards field center before entering the slow-fly zone and I really dont like the thought of full bore passes done this way towards the crowd

Be Smart, Play Safe, and have LOTS of fun - If you are unsure about anything, just ask someone in a blue "Official" shirt. We are the Fun Committee
Alan, Thanks for the offer and the great advice of flying the NEAT field. I do recall making some of those same mental notes when I was there as a spectator.

Looking forward to making many new friends at NEAT !
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2012, 07:44 PM

i will spot for you, if you spot for e

the great thing about NEAT, is that you will see the same friends year after year, and make new ones, finding a spotter is usually not hard and the SEFLI guys usually help out in a pinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600f2 View Post
This will be my second time to NEAT and first time flying there. I'd like to bring my 120+ mph Phase 3 and was feeling a bit uneasy flying with other planes that may not be that fast.

My one problem is my spotter now can't make it for the weekend. Think I could find a friendly sole to step in and spot for me ?

I absolutley can not wait for this event !!!!
Sep 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
zoom-zoom
Frank - if you are that guy flying the hotliner which I call - "Hooooonnnnnnggggg" - WOW ! I think everyone perks up and watches when you are flying. I know those planes are very expensive, but you do a great job of flying it frequently around all the traffic.

Thanks ,Its always easier when you have an experience spotter (flying fast planes)
spotting for you.

When Alen spots for me its like this ...Your clear for low pass, stay high, whats that knocking sound Im hearing?

Frank
Last edited by frank fontana; Sep 06, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: pressed enter prematurely.
Sep 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
zoom-zoom
Quote:
Awesome Greg - thanks for posting that.

... and that was before the 5kw days

Hey Frank - who gave you that lame-azz lefty toss ?
Well your "lame-azz lefty toss was better than my NO TOSS a couple of
months ago.

Surprise 9 totaled.
Sep 08, 2012, 06:20 AM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Hey Frank no pickin on us left handed peeps. Do you know why there are more right handed people then left? I will tell you at the show.
Dave
Sep 08, 2012, 06:35 AM
zoom-zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowspider View Post
Hey Frank no pickin on us left handed peeps. Do you know why there are more right handed people then left? I will tell you at the show.
Dave
Hi Dave ,

IS it because there are more right handed screwdrivers??

See you Friday night at BCFS/CC tent

Frank
Sep 08, 2012, 07:36 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank fontana View Post
Hi Dave ,

IS it because there are more right handed screwdrivers??

See you Friday night at BCFS/CC tent

Frank
We special ordered left handed forks for you guys
Sep 10, 2012, 11:32 AM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
You guys are too funny. Does the food line move left to right?
Sep 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
Rochester, NY
I have one rule when someone tosses my "No Rudder" speed demon, NO LEFTY'S ! I love the lefties who put a spiral on the plane as they toss it, adding to the torque. How do they live with themselves ?

I'm a righty - but I always toss left handed to keep hand on controls. But I ain't no stink-en lefty !

Sep 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoFly View Post
I love the lefties who put a spiral on the plane as they toss it, adding to the torque. How do they live with themselves ?

I'm a righty - but I always toss left handed to keep hand on controls. But I ain't no stink-en lefty !

I was tought years ago (15 ?) to practice tossing a baseball bat overhand javalin style and when I could do that without the "Loiusville Slugger" stamp rotating at all and throw the bat 20-25' away, I was ready.
Sep 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
Rochester, NY
Quote:
I was tought years ago (15 ?) to practice tossing a baseball bat overhand javalin style and when I could do that without the "Loiusville Slugger" stamp rotating at all and throw the bat 20-25' away, I was ready.
Great exercise. I learned through trying many different styles and many tosses into the ground with a big foam wing. Wings I toss lefty over my shoulder, Hold nose, swing arm up high and let go. Airplanes I toss like a dart. Never put a twist and if it has torque and no rudder, angle it right or hold slight right aileron.

Anyway - I think Franks speed demon is guided into the air and not actually thrown. Those of us that turn small props supersonic have learned that 90% of the crashes are due to a bad toss.

Cya at Neat. 3 Days and counting...

Vinnie
Sep 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
OH... the carnage will be plenty... nothing draws a crows like the anticipation of a good high speed wreck!!!

Sounds like a great idea!
Sep 10, 2012, 07:41 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Late comer to the thread, but another vote for a separate time for speed planes. At my local field, I fully understand some (most?) guys don't like flying when I have my speed planes in the air. And I want to be courteous, so I try not to fly when they are too.

They do this down at SEFF too and it's a great relief. They set aside a "speed hour" (or is it half-hour?) twice a day and that's great. Otherwise, speed stuff is allowed to fly with the rest of the sport models anyway, but most of the time I just wait for the speed hour.

Tim
Sep 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
Rochester, NY
Well said Tim, and I too wait for a slot. Only crazy people go up after I launch.

Dmize - I highly doubt there will be carnage - but that assumes wanna be speed demons don't white knuckle a flight with veterans. I'll be the guy coming up quick in your rear view mirror and quickly fading in Franks.
Sep 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
zoom-zoom
Dmize - I highly doubt there will be carnage - but that assumes wanna be speed demons don't white knuckle a flight with veterans. I'll be the guy coming up quick in your rear view mirror and quickly fading in Franks.[/QUOTE]

Not this year Vinnie,I'll be in your view mirror.
I totaled my S9 on a BAD REALY BAD TOSS .()

Frank