Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 05, 2012, 05:14 AM
When pigs fly rc
I would love to see some mpx dog fighters in a pack tearing up the sky!!!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2012, 06:13 AM
Gravity always laughs last
Think about including helis in the speed section equation. It's becoming popular at bigger heli events and there may be some closet speed freaks attending NEAT

RichK
Sep 05, 2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank fontana View Post
I call Alen W as my ( wing man) spotter.

Frank
Frank brings up a good point - and I dont want this to sound like I'm bragging - but YOU NEED TO HAVE A GOOD SPOTTER TO FLY FASSSSST.

I consider myself good because I've flown this stuff and know

1) not to look at my pilots plane, but 2-3 steps ahead of where he is, and tell him

2) Tell him "Clear - Low and close" or "Stay HIGH !!!" , "BURN it right down the center !!" ... etc

3) put foam between his knees to quiet the knocking sound

Seriously - Safety is and always will be our #1, #2, and #3 concern at NEAT and flying fast requires you as the pilot to have a competent spotter, not someone who's going to stand there looking for 4-leaf clovers in the grass or say to you "Wow, look at that nice butterfly over in the SloFly area"

I would suggest recruiting other "Fassst" pilots as Frank and I do for each other
Sep 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
3) put foam between his knees to quiet the knocking sound
Sep 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
AMA 697691 / FAA 13675
I thought my G.P. Lil Toni was fast at 197mph until I saw Frank's Surprise rip up the sky at the 2008 NEAT Fair. I think I'll just watch this year...

Check out Frank's Saturday demo flight at the 2008 NEAT Fair below in the F5B section of my AMP'D column. I can't believe it was 4 years ago already...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1056
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Sep 06, 2012, 07:34 AM

I Agree !!!

This will be my second time to NEAT and first time flying there. I'd like to bring my 120+ mph Phase 3 and was feeling a bit uneasy flying with other planes that may not be that fast.

My one problem is my spotter now can't make it for the weekend. Think I could find a friendly sole to step in and spot for me ?

I absolutley can not wait for this event !!!!
Sep 06, 2012, 07:55 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
All pilots should go through a profficiency evaluation and at the discretion of the flight line boss then be allowed to Fly their stuff....

Seen this scenario all too often that someone shows up with a fast airplane and stuffs it either by the pilot parking area or into the next county.... Then that same pilot is relegated to fly his standby airplane, a wingo.......
Sep 06, 2012, 08:52 AM
Rochester, NY
Dr E - I think once someone flying 80 mph steps up with a 130 + mph flyer they will figure out pretty quickly that they are mismatched. It's still a bunch safer flying with an 80 mph flyer than it is flying with someone hovering or a 40mph bird. I have no problem weaving around slower planes but I don't want a surprise as I swing my head right to left to find a group of planes hovering or gliding slow.

Regarding Spotter - I have a story - condensed version of a bad spotter one year at NEAT when I flew a fast "Chris Klick" wing and almost chopped a gorgeous biplane in half. You could hear hundreds of "Holy Sh.." voices as I swung my head left, saw I was about to chop that plane in half, dove underneath then vertical after passing underneath him. That is the primary scare that prompted my posting this thread. Your first indicator that you have a crappy spotter is that you go 1/2 a lap with nothing said from the spotter. He should be telling you everything in your path, good to go full, stay high, someone above/below you, you're flying too far right/left. Mine was saying "Holy ship that was bad", "Oh man what you just did was bad", "Stay left". I finally said - "What the F are you doing, what is left ? Use 'far, near, high, mid, low' and tell me what is in front of my plane, not what I just did". Very nice guy - but a horrible spotter that almost cost that biplane it's life.

Frank - if you are that guy flying the hotliner which I call - "Hooooonnnnnnggggg" - WOW ! I think everyone perks up and watches when you are flying. I know those planes are very expensive, but you do a great job of flying it frequently around all the traffic.

Heli's - ummm, I think all speed demons are rolling their eyes at this. But I know a heli recently clocked 150 mph at IRCHA. But could he fly in a pattern and not hover. Hmmm - get a speed demon.

I'd hate there to be too many rules placed on this - but discussion with the flyers and to allow similar speed planes to fly together. A group of planes may fly 90 mph and another group fly 150 mph. Mixing shouldn't be a problem as long as we don't drop much below 90 mph. I've seen guys flying 70 mph brag about their 120 mph plane, and no one has the heart to tell them. I sure hope I'm not in that group This person hopefully would be smart enough to land.

If you are a fast flyer and have a com-padre who flys fast with you - then you know the joy of this type of flying. Those who fly fast all alone, will come off the line super excited about their full out flight. My favorite is standing next to one or more other flyers and someone calling out manuevers.
"Low approach - Vertical on Center", "Slow rolls as you climb", " Exit Right",
"NEXT - Side by side - get aligned", "Full on NOW", "Vertical on far left",
"Align far right", "Dive for flight line full throttle", "Slow roll if you can".

The ONLY issue with following instructions is they require a fairly advanced flyer to concentrate and not watch the other planes while flying. Aligning next to another plane must be done high, and if you miss - just fly through following or leading.

Even if this is not done this year by NEAT officials. Can we agree to find each other and group up on the line ? Stop over to JustGoFly vendor tent with some guys and you'll see a gray haired guy acting like a little kid running to get batteries and telling customers to "Come back later".

Vinnie
Sep 06, 2012, 10:41 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
How many people you see maidening airplanes at funflies.... The decision to fly or no fly should be left to the the flight marshalls......
Sep 06, 2012, 11:30 AM
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.E View Post
How many people you see maidening airplanes at funflies.... The decision to fly or no fly should be left to the the flight marshalls......

First flights are forbidden at AMA sanctioned events and this will be closely watched.

Tom
Sep 06, 2012, 12:17 PM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Count me in as I feel the need for speeeeeed too. Have my Ultra fun jet I won in last years Sunday Raffle.
Dave
Sep 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
First flights are forbidden at AMA sanctioned events and this will be closely watched.

Tom
Is the sanctioned event time for that purpose Thursday morn to Sunday afternoon?

Pete
Sep 06, 2012, 01:28 PM
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
Is the sanctioned event time for that purpose Thursday morn to Sunday afternoon?

Pete
That's correct. that's when the insurance was applied for. Thusrday 1201 am to sunday 1159 PM. Any time before that or after that, you should be getting permission from Arnold.

Tom
Sep 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600f2 View Post

My one problem is my spotter now can't make it for the weekend. Think I could find a friendly sole to step in and spot for me ?
If no one responds, look for someone flying fast and when they are exiting the flightline ... make a new friend and ask them to spot for you.

... I will be working the main flight line Fri/Sat 11a-2p and if you haven't found someone (and we have enough HuntGrunt coverage) I will gladly spot for you

Since this is your first time flying at NEAT I only ask that you take a few "get aquainted" flights prior to burning holes in the sky - the tree line and apporaches, while not difficut, are not what I'd call ordinary and do need some time to adjust to.

Generally, there is no boundary to the left towards the entrance road but on the right side we have the slow-fly area. If we are flying a left to right pattern, Turning away before the slow-fly zone and out towards the tree line will need to be executed just about field center at speed. You only get one warning if you fly through the slow-fly zone (which you shouldn't even do once .. next time you will be asked to land). Similarly, right to left pattern requires a turn in from the trees towards field center before entering the slow-fly zone and I really dont like the thought of full bore passes done this way towards the crowd

Be Smart, Play Safe, and have LOTS of fun - If you are unsure about anything, just ask someone in a blue "Official" shirt. We are the Fun Committee
Last edited by Alan W; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Sep 06, 2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey View Post
Check out Frank's Saturday demo flight at the 2008 NEAT Fair below in the F5B section of my AMP'D column.
Awesome Greg - thanks for posting that.

... and that was before the 5kw days

Hey Frank - who gave you that lame-azz lefty toss ?