Sep 04, 2012, 10:56 AM
Rochester, NY
Discussion

Idea for NEAT that should benefit all

I REALLY enjoy high speed flying. As time progresses those speeds are getting way fast.

Since NEAT allows all flyers on the main strip to fly without regard to speed, it might be worthwhile having a time slot every hour to offer high speed guys to fly together. I really enjoy flying fast with other fast planes. I hate flying fast when there is a large expensive, slow bipe in the air, or 1/4 scale 3D plane that can change altitude rapidly. This slot will reduce the risk of slow flyers being hit by a very fast airplane.

If we had a separate line at 10 minutes to the hour form for speediacs, then switch to that line on the hour, for 10 minutes, I think it would be popular and it would be a lot safer for all.

I have a very fast plane which I would love to fly at NEAT. But don't want to risk destroying someone else flying a gorgeous large slow plane at the same time.

Risk is low especially if you watch the Warbird fly 70+ planes at the same time and only a handful of mid air incidents. But this idea is more to set people flying slow planes at ease, they don't have to worry about some speed demon whipping past them at 150 mph.

Anyone else agree ? If we get some responses Tom might entertain this idea.

Vinnie

PS: If you have a speed demon, I'll be running from the booth at 5pm each day to fly. Come race me !
Last edited by JustGoFly; Sep 04, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2012, 11:54 AM
I agree with the idea. I'm one of those guys who prefers slower models. Just as I don't like having fast planes whipping around mine, so do I understand fast guys don't like having to dodge slow models.

As to how long and when each speed period would be, that's something for Tom and his crew to figure out. Likewise, trying to decide what is a 'fast' model.

CD
Sep 04, 2012, 01:51 PM
FWIW I like the idea, in as much as I can be on the ground watching the fun versus having to constantly look over my shoulder when being overtaken from behind

Naturally this is Tom's call - I suspect he'll be chiming in here soon.

Guess I'll have to talk to someone about some motors for my NIB Twinjet...

Rob
Sep 04, 2012, 02:05 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
I think that would be awesome. Even if it was only once or twice a day. I wanted to bring my Enigma, but was a bit unsettled by the prospect of cutting somebody's plane in half with it.

-Adam
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane
Sep 04, 2012, 02:55 PM
... perhaps once every two or three hours, or one slot in the morning and one in the afternoon ?
Sep 04, 2012, 03:39 PM
got any foam to bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W
... perhaps once every two or three hours, or one slot in the morning and one in the afternoon ?
Yes

I would go for that. I don't think I will do it this year (but that is not a definite no). I would have to pole the constituancy and see exactly how many guys would consider a go-fast-turn-left (or right) 10 minute slot (if they can even fly that long). putting 6 models up at the same time of that calibre could be very exciting, but also very destructive!

Tom
Sep 04, 2012, 03:50 PM
Rochester, NY
Tom - I can tell you from a speed demon's perspective, we love to fly together. When someone comes out with a 100+ mph plane other guys perk up and some will run to try to get in on the fun. If it were coordinated it would be less risky of having planes hit and the speed demons would have more fun. Even if a 90 mph plane flew with a 150 mph plane it would not be much of an issue. Guys who fly fast can react fast, and have good reflexes.

If you announced a time - and a line did not form, you could just skip the slot and move on. I'm betting a line will form. The spectators would have more fun watching guys going all out. When all speed flyers are up there - it will look amazing.

Even more fun is when some fast flyers communicate while flying and coordinate flying next to each other, rolls while climbing and echo each others movements. It looks great and is so fun to fly.

Decide at the show and I'll have a plane and battery waiting for a slot and hope to get in on the fun.

Vinnie
Sep 04, 2012, 04:44 PM
Dan would love it! he clocked his Fun jet at 137mph at the Cleveland Airshow, they have the whole runway for the start of the festivities. He doesn't get to fly it too often full out.
so he would be very interrested-
Diane
Lazertoyz
Sep 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
How high will it go?
I like this idea. I have a warmliner that probably goes over 100, and I don't like to do low high speed passes with it when there are other planes out there.
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
Sep 04, 2012, 05:09 PM

count me in

I am with vinnie on this one. I like to go fas and small and big and slow, I just don't like both happening at once. This would be a great last minute change to things
Sep 04, 2012, 05:11 PM
zoom-zoom
OH yeah, I totally like your Idea..Im one of the few that has flown hotliners at NEAT for years.
And I can tell you its not that much fun dodging planes instead of doing LOW SPEED PASSES.

I call Alen W as my ( wing man) spotter.

Frank
Last edited by frank fontana; Sep 05, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Sep 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
i agree that some types of flying should be segregated from the main flightline due to safety concerns...like the 3d nuts pulling up into a hover at show center while other people are flying the pattern with 125 mph strykers, the two different styles of flying don't compliment each other, and even with spotters there are too many close calls.
but with that said i hope this doesn't become the kind of meet where if you miss your 10 minute window of opportunity, you gotta wait another hour to TRY to get to the flightline again...
Sep 04, 2012, 10:07 PM
I'd like to join in on the multi-kilowatt fun. definately less scary than weaving through the big or slow planes.

Ed
Sep 04, 2012, 10:14 PM
Rochester, NY
I think management of the line is important. You don't want to miss the slot but you also don't want to have this as a machanism to jump onto a line that enables immediate flying. Or you'll get slow planes mixing into to fast line and cause chaos. Someone would have to manage that.

I can see guys jockeying positions to group similar speed planes - a group of strykers might group up, funjets, hotliners, jets ..,

Speed is many times misinterpretted. Some guys fly 80 and think it's 120. They will learn that quickly in this type of arena.

Tom - next year a speed gun mounted center field and large display to show speeds would be cool. A hand held speed gun is very dangerous and not recommended. Guys will try to fly close and tilt their bellies up to increase their profile for a good reading.

Vinnie
Sep 04, 2012, 10:20 PM
Rochester, NY
Iflyrc - the proposal is to encourage fast planes to fly at specific times and together, but NOT to enforce a ban of them during normal flying periods.

This will also get more guys to fly their gems, which might otherwise be put at risk when a high speed plane is also flying. Highspeed flyers love low and fast which directly conflicts with big 3D planes.

Vinnie