Sep 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
I will be removing the rx also. Even though it comes with the tx adaptor I will feel better with my trusted radio. With Tower offering free shipping they discount shipping to Canada. It was $15 to ship to Ontario with USPS. Found a cupon code online for $25 off the order as well.

Geoff
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2012, 06:17 PM
Sucker for biplanes
I also think that $209 is a good price for the plane. Hobbyzone is still getting $179.99 for the supercub thats been around for years. This plane has floats ,lights, flaps, and landing gear with a 60" span and free shipping!! I ordered and will add one of my RX's
Sep 23, 2012, 06:35 PM
First thing I will be doing to mine when it arrives is swapping out the tactic receiver for a Spektrum AR600 and installing a servo speed regulator for the flaps. Hopefully I can fit in a scale pilot figure too.
Sep 23, 2012, 07:28 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffH
I will be removing the rx also. Even though it comes with the tx adaptor I will feel better with my trusted radio. With Tower offering free shipping they discount shipping to Canada. It was $15 to ship to Ontario with USPS. Found a cupon code online for $25 off the order as well.

Geoff
Thanks for the tip about the reduced shipping to Canada.

Care to share the cupon code link?

Brent
Sep 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
Found the code here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1723461

I have a habit of doing a google search for cupon codes of whatever vendor I am using. Limiting the results to the previous month seems to work rather well.

geoff
Sep 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
Closed Account
I just ordered this last night for a float fly coming up next month. It was a total impulse buy, too...I friend gave me a Micro F-86 so I went to tower to grab an AnyLink for it. Then I saw they were giving them away with the purchase of a plane...then I saw a recent club member offer...and then I figured in the free shipping I would get if I spent over $150. All said and done I got the plane with the AnyLink adapter for $179 shipped. It's about $100 more than I wanted to spend yesterday but I couldn't pass it up
Sep 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I am in on this one.... sweet.
Sep 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
I will be happy when all the "Anylink package" complaints have died down and there are some consumer reviews on here. Float flying is my favorite kind of flying. I have thought about getting the Eflite Beaver for a few years, but never did. I am glad that I waited. I loooove foam planes.

Full disclosure: I am a diehard Spektrum user, and agree that a PnP version would be superior.
Sep 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
Flying Models Plans
I got a chance to fly the new Flyzone Beaver at the NEAT Fair this year and was mightily impressed.

It is a great size for flying off your local pond or larger body of water, looks great in the air and handles wonderfully. Abundant power, effective flaps and the nav lighting will make this a go-to float flyer for any reasonably capable pilot.

The one I flew was setup with the Tactic transmitter and I had no issues at all. While a 3-position toggle switch or slider would be nice for the flaps but the dial also works just fine. Don't let the radio configuration sway your decision, this will be a great model regardless of how you fly it and is already reasonably priced.

As for any perceived pricing penalties, the case could be made that someone swapping radios is electing to incur the penalty on their own by not flying it as designed and packaged, needing only a transmitter. No one is forcing you to buy another receiver to replace the very functional one it comes with. The fact is that AnyLink works and works well. Give it a try, you might just surprise yourself and actually like it. Then again, if you really don't like how the Beaver is packaged, there is another very viable option. You can always design and build one of your own.
Sep 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I was at the LHS when the first one arrived yesterday and took a peek at it. Not a bad looking model.

I still think Great Planes is really missing the boat by not offering the model in a PnP version without the RX.

Thayer, I disagree with your assessment above. Modelers STRONGLY tend to adopt one brand of radio gear and stick with it and they rarely fly multiple brands of radio gear, so that their collection of models are compatible. People prefer to fly the models they like with their preferred brand of radio and they resist having multiple brands for the very most part.

Horizon did force folks to use Spektrum to enjoy the uM and uMX models, but given the nature of the integrated RX and servo brick, it does make sense for micros.

I did get an Anylink and a micro Albatross and it does work OK, but I do not plan on flying any model any larger than a micro with it. Using Anylink with Spektrum negates the very fine Spektrum safety feature of ModelMatch.

Oh..and there are numerous other Beaver options available without resorting to designing and building your own: some foam, some not...Eflite, HobbyKing and Nitroplanes for not-foam, Robbe for a 1.5m foam one
Last edited by Thomas B; Sep 25, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Sep 25, 2012, 07:55 PM
Sucker for biplanes
I have the beaver on the way! I used the tower discount code but still payed $9.99 for shipping. Does anyone have one yet??? I wanted to find out what size battery will fit in the plane??? I ordered one 3s 1800 and one 3s 2200 from Hobbyking. The flyzone lipo is L-90.5mm W-30mm H-24mm but sells for $50 bucks Get them from HK, 11.1v 3s 1800 are around $10
Sep 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I might need to pull th trigger......
Sep 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER
I have the beaver on the way! I used the tower discount code but still payed $9.99 for shipping. Does anyone have one yet??? I wanted to find out what size battery will fit in the plane??? I ordered one 3s 1800 and one 3s 2200 from Hobbyking. The flyzone lipo is L-90.5mm W-30mm H-24mm but sells for $50 bucks Get them from HK, 11.1v 3s 1800 are around $10
"Super Saver" members get free shipping for orders of $150 and up and there's also a current code for members that gives $30 off for spending $200.00 - $224.99

If you are looking at getting this plane, it's worth paying the $9.99 to join the club since the free shipping alone covers the cost of it with this one purchase.
Sep 26, 2012, 08:41 AM
The manual says this 3s 2100 batt works as well. ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCKZD&P=ML ) it is 102x34x24.
Sep 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHIGHFLYER
I wanted to find out what size battery will fit in the plane??? I ordered one 3s 1800 and one 3s 2200 from Hobbyking. The flyzone lipo is L-90.5mm W-30mm H-24mm but sells for $50 bucks Get them from HK, 11.1v 3s 1800 are around $10
Translated from the German review.

"Three cell 2200 Lipopacks fit exactly into the battery compartment and at the same time provide a correct balance."

Quick Reply