Thread Tools
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
Paul-RC is offline
Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
A little trivia about Mr. Ford....

It seems that the DHC-2 has a magical way of endearing itself to pilots...

From Wikipedia:
Ford flies his de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver (N28S) more than any of his other aircraft, and although he dislikes showing favoritism, he has repeatedly stated that he likes this aircraft and the sound of its Pratt & Whitney R-985 radial engine. Ford first encountered the Beaver while filming Six Days Seven Nights, and soon purchased one. Kenmore Air in Kenmore, Washington, restored Ford's yellow and green Beaver a junked former U.S. military aircraft with updated avionics and an upgraded engine. According to Ford, it had been flown in the CIA's Air America operations, and was riddled with bullet holes that had to be patched up. He uses it regularly for impromptu fly-ins at remote airports and bush strips, as well as gatherings with other Beaver owners and pilots.

Now that's classy !
Some have all the luck
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
el touristo is offline
Find More Posts by el touristo
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
Once I cut it out I will check the size , too bad we have an 8cyl it looks so good
what's the diameter on the 8 cyl fail-scale anyway?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
Paul-RC is offline
Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by el touristo View Post
what's the diameter on the 8 cyl fail-scale anyway?
3.5 inches
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:48 PM
Raehm is offline
Find More Posts by Raehm
Registered User
Raehm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
I'm not totally thrilled with the water rudder control, but it will do for now.
Neither was I, so I am using pushrods and an modified servo horn that extends rudder travel about 200%
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
el touristo is offline
Find More Posts by el touristo
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC View Post
3.5 inches
hmm oh I guess the thickness of the foam cowl mainly?, is cowl foam?
U can see on 8 cyl they have cut the rockers off a little which indicates it is more scale size. too bad only 8. When u get round to it please post photo of 9cyl mounted with cowl on.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:14 PM
Paul-RC is offline
Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by el touristo View Post
hmm oh I guess the thickness of the foam cowl mainly?, is cowl foam?
U can see on 8 cyl they have cut the rockers off a little which indicates it is more scale size. too bad only 8. When u get round to it please post photo of 9cyl mounted with cowl on.
The cowl is a nice strong plastic
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
Tom Smith is offline
Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Tom Smith's Avatar
Paul, how would that paint the car guys use for their Lexan bodies be on this wacky foam. Think it would stick and stay stuck? I just took a test piece of this slick foam and sanded one side and left the other smooth. Painted both side with water based acrylic paint. Let it dry for 2 hours. Put masking tape across it and the paint pulled up equally from both sides. Then I wet my finger and rubbed both sides and the paint came off on my finger equally on both sides. What is it with this stuff.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
Paul-RC is offline
Find More Posts by Paul-RC
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
Paul, how would that paint the car guys use for their Lexan bodies be on this wacky foam. Think it would stick and stay stuck? I just took a test piece of this slick foam and sanded one side and left the other smooth. Painted both side with water based acrylic paint. Let it dry for 2 hours. Put masking tape across it and the paint pulled up equally from both sides. Then I wet my finger and rubbed both sides and the paint came off on my finger equally on both sides. What is it with this stuff.
After sanding did you use a primer?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:51 PM
Capslock is offline
Find More Posts by Capslock
Big Member
Capslock's Avatar
Got my maidens in this weekend, and they went great! This is a big pussycat of an airplane. I don't know why i was nervous, it just floats around like it was meant to. My first flight I was shooting touch and goes. It was also universally fawned over by the other fliers.

A couple notes, though. First, the roll rate is very slow, even on high rates. I will crank out as much throw as I can before going up again. Also, I took the advice of someone here and dialed in a "smidge" of down elevator with the flaps. Seemed to be spot-on, and made for slow, easy landings. I found it pitched up on high throttle, and wound up trimming a decent amount of down elevator in.

Now that I know I like the plane, I will probably start replacing stuff. First, the screws are all horrible, so they'll get replaced bit by bit. Next up are the pushrod connectors on the servo arms. I don't trust those much at all. You shouldn't need threadlock and tiny, soft screws to connect your control surfaces. Finally, the AnyLink stuff seems to work fine, and I had no problems with setup and operation, but..... ehhhhhhh I just don't trust it much yet. I'll probably yank the receiver and put in a proper one.

Are people upgrading the motor? I like the scale flight, but think it would look better with a three-blade prop. I'll do some experimenting here, probably. What's a good replacement motor? I put a Power 10 in my T-28 and it really came alive.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with this addition to the stable. It's a really great looking plane with nice, scale-like flight characteristics.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
gewiens is offline
Find More Posts by gewiens
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
I started painting my radial a bit and painted inside of the cowl black. I am thinking it almost looks better without the spinner.
Last edited by gewiens; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:14 AM
Raehm is offline
Find More Posts by Raehm
Registered User
Raehm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock View Post

Are people upgrading the motor? I like the scale flight, but think it would look better with a three-blade prop. I'll do some experimenting here, probably. What's a good replacement motor? I put a Power 10 in my T-28 and it really came alive.
It required some creativity, but I successfully installed both a 15-size motor and 4s Lipo, resulting in substantially more power and/or fly times.

I would think a Power10 would do the same, and with less difficulty in mounting the engine.
Last edited by Raehm; Oct 30, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
gewiens is offline
Find More Posts by gewiens
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm View Post
It required some creativity, but I successfully installed both a 15-size motor and 4s Lipo, resulting in substantially more power and/or fly times.

I would like a Power10 would do the same, and with less difficulty in mounting the engine.
I'm gonna be having this same fun soon. I'm putting in a HK NTM 1250kv this weekend and a 55amp esc.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
Justwingit is online now
Find More Posts by Justwingit
They call me Lipo.....
Justwingit's Avatar
I can't wait to get mine and put in....nothing !

I'm going to fly her and see how she does....

If it flys anything like in the Robbe video from Germany, I think she'll do just fine
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:41 AM
gewiens is offline
Find More Posts by gewiens
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
Edit
Last edited by gewiens; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:45 AM
gewiens is offline
Find More Posts by gewiens
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
I can't wait to get mine and put in....nothing !

I'm going to fly her and see how she does....

If it flys anything like in the Robbe video from Germany, I think she'll do just fine
It actually is totally fine stock. I'm just doing it for that extra power when I wanna see some vertical speed. They designed a nice flying plane. Just glad I threw the stock screws away. One slip and there done. Drilling out the holes for the floats and landing gear just a hair bigger doesn't hurt either.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Kit/Scratch Built 16 Jun 09, 2016 08:24 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Fuel Planes 2 Jan 05, 2008 02:26 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Scale Airplanes 1 Dec 31, 2007 04:39 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Parkflyers 3 Dec 29, 2007 08:32 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Electric Planes 1 Dec 29, 2007 07:39 AM