Thread Tools
Oct 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
Big Member
Capslock's Avatar
I got mine this week from Tower, and it's ready for maiden tomorrow! I can't wait - the weather is supposed to be perfect. I set it up with wheels to start with - floats might have to wait for spring. Like others here, I found the assembly to be a little bit fiddly, but nothing too bad - the biggest problems are the soft screws - I'll have to replace the larger screws that hold the landing gear on when I switch to floats, as at least one is pretty well stripped. Other than that, though, it went together fine, and it's a really, really good looking plane for $200 shipped. It's also my first "AnyLink" plane, and the binding and programming went flawlessly.

By the way, how much down elevator should I mix in with the flaps? Anyone nail that down yet?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2012, 12:32 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Biggest shipping problem I had was there is a small dent in the elevator.

I am not sure if it is some type of grease but the plastic piece on the bottom of the rudder had black stuff all over it.

A lot of the holes were not fully drilled out where the screws go in.

I could not even get one of the screws in on the wing strut. I decided to drill it in and just CA it in place. It should hold fine.

The finish looking up close is not up to my standards but when you back away it looks great.

Have anyone tried steering this plane on water without the float rudder pedals? I am not too happy with this design. I have not maiden mine, but I have another setup I might try later on it or if it steers fine without them I will just take them off.

This is just a few flaws I have found. But I wanna bet when I fly it I will forget about them! Like someone said it is just a foamy!
Oct 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User
vonJaerschky's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock
By the way, how much down elevator should I mix in with the flaps? Anyone nail that down yet?
I found that with half flap, I didn't need any. But it's very speed dependant. If you are cruising along at a good clip and drop flap, you will get some pitch up until the model slows down and equilibrium is regained. With full flap I found some down elevator on final approach was a good thing. How much? I'd say a smidge.
Oct 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Finally made it out to fly a bit this morning but only had 3 flights and also played with my new Airboat
The conditions were perfect, glassy water and nice and warm . probably our last nice warm day before winter.

If you wonder about the Airboat its the HobbyKing Swamp Dawg made to my liking and using a 3s1p, goes like crazy
Could be my second rescue boat I guess
Oct 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Well the maiden went great. I had a good 10 mph to 15 mph wind. I know I probably wont fly it much in this type of wind. But I was surprise how fast it got off the water! I need to adjust my rudder pedals some though. It was hard to turn in one direction. Maybe because of the wind.

What was the real shocker is with flaps on this thing literally comes to a complete stop before it even lands in the water! It is SLOW!!! Now the last landing I was playing around too much and when it hit a small wave caught the float and barely flipped the plane over. Luckily the wind was strong enough to blow the plane back to the bank.

I didnt try any other manuevers. Wanted to look over everything and fly it on another day when it is calmer. Plus I need to let the insides dry out.

For those that have flipped it how bad did yours get wet? I know some water got into the battery compartment.
Oct 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
MaineFlyer
jpgilbert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid
For those that have flipped it how bad did yours get wet? I know some water got into the battery compartment.
I did flip mine once and the guys in the boat righted it, I checked controls, and flew it! Didn't get any water when I removed the battery. Nor was it wet.

I did seal the windshield all around with canopy glue as I noticed it was loose in places. Also I applied Corrosion-X to the receiver. And it looks like the ESC is sealed at both ends.

The plane floats very high in the water when upside down.

Joe
Oct 26, 2012, 03:39 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid
Well the maiden went great. I had a good 10 mph to 15 mph wind. I know I probably wont fly it much in this type of wind. But I was surprise how fast it got off the water! I need to adjust my rudder pedals some though. It was hard to turn in one direction. Maybe because of the wind.

What was the real shocker is with flaps on this thing literally comes to a complete stop before it even lands in the water! It is SLOW!!! Now the last landing I was playing around too much and when it hit a small wave caught the float and barely flipped the plane over. Luckily the wind was strong enough to blow the plane back to the bank.

I didnt try any other manuevers. Wanted to look over everything and fly it on another day when it is calmer. Plus I need to let the insides dry out.

For those that have flipped it how bad did yours get wet? I know some water got into the battery compartment.
When mine flipped over only the motor got wet. I also had sealed the windshield well and had vaseline around the top hatch and my receiver is were the back seat was.
I place the receiver at the back to receive the cargo
Oct 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
Seahawk One's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-rc
...my receiver is were the back seat was.
I place the receiver at the back to receive the cargo :d:d
lmmfao!
Oct 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes
lmmfao!
Sorry I just had too
Oct 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Flew a second flight and gosh this plane is amazing!!!
Oct 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid
Flew a second flight and gosh this plane is amazing!!!
Yes it is, my friend with me this morning could not belive how slow and scale it was flying with flaps down
He might just get one too now
Oct 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Sukhoikid's Avatar
Heck I am a giant scale 3d guy and unlimited iMac pilot and this plane is great break from the giant planes to fly.
Oct 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid
Heck I am a giant scale 3d guy and unlimited iMac pilot and this plane is great break from the giant planes to fly.
I say it doesn't matter what you fly as long as you enjoy it to the max.
I'm having more fun with my foamies for a while then my big scale Heli now
Oct 26, 2012, 08:37 PM
Registered User
vonJaerschky's Avatar

Maggie Wears Her Big Shoes


I got the floats fitted. They went on very well. I'm not totally thrilled with the water rudder control, but it will do for now. Rain is forecast for the next week, so it might be a while before I get to try her out. I know the real N900KA is used to this Pacific Coast rain, but not my precious model!
Oct 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Registered User
vonJaerschky's Avatar
Hey, anybody remember that awesome Canadian TV series from the 80's, "Danger Bay"? I'm sure all us Canucks do. It was based on a marine biologist in Vancouver and the various adventures he and his family got into. His love interest happened to be a Beaver pilot. One episode was pretty heavy on the flying and had some great footage of the Beaver in action. The episode is on Youtube in 3 parts. Be forewarned - the acting is just too fantastic! And please, ignore the plot line faults. Just enjoy the airplanes!

Part 1
Danger Bay - S03E04 Solo Flight - Part 1/3 (9 min 13 sec)


Part 2
Danger Bay - S03E04 Solo Flight - Part 2/3 (6 min 50 sec)


Part 3
Danger Bay - S03E04 Solo Flight - Part 3/3 (7 min 25 sec)
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Oct 26, 2012 at 09:12 PM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Kit/Scratch Built 16 Jun 09, 2016 07:24 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Fuel Planes 2 Jan 05, 2008 02:26 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Scale Airplanes 1 Dec 31, 2007 04:39 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Parkflyers 3 Dec 29, 2007 08:32 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Electric Planes 1 Dec 29, 2007 07:39 AM