Thread Tools
Dec 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Semper Fi
greedyg76's Avatar
I am so jealous of you guys all flying off snow, but then again it will be 70* with no wind down here today....
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76
I am so jealous of you guys all flying off snow, but then again it will be 70* with no wind down here today....
Rub it in
Find a hockey indoor arena , usually they dump snow outside in the parking lot
Or better yet fly in the hockey arena on the ice with skis
Dec 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
They call me Lipo.....
Justwingit's Avatar
Or better yet, just fly !

It's a little breezy up here in Ft. Irwin this morning....no flying

It was raining like cats and dogs yesterday as I drove by the Bass Pro Shop on the way back up the Cajon pass...the snow covered peaks look simply stunning
Dec 30, 2012, 11:55 AM
Semper Fi
greedyg76's Avatar
I live about 3 minutes away from Bass Pro. I might go up the canyon and try to get in some snowy mountain FPV today
Dec 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Aviefly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert
Finally got a chance to fly from snow with skis. Had hoped for powder but it was wind-sweep. Mainly touch & gos. Got in four flights and four with my E-flite J-3 25. Temps started at 12 degs and went up to 20. NO wind and that makes all the difference.

Cannot say enough about this plane. It just flies so good!

I usually do a lot of editing on the videos since I am using a non-zoom camera like Paul. I mount my GoPro on my head. No sense in showing a speck in the sky!

We got 8" of nice snow last night but quite windy today.
Joe
Nice video too. I can't tell from the video, how much if any flap did you have on for most of that? Looks nice and smooth at those slow speeds.
Dec 30, 2012, 12:13 PM
They call me Lipo.....
Justwingit's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76
I live about 3 minutes away from Bass Pro. I might go up the canyon and try to get in some snowy mountain FPV today
Now you're talkin' !

That would be awsome as long as the wind ain't whipping up those slopes...
Dec 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Registered User
FTA_FTW's Avatar
Great video Paul and jpgilbert! Awesome landings both of you.

I'm having trouble keeping the hook-loop tape stuck to the plane in this cold weather. How do you guys keep it stuck?
Dec 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW
Great video Paul and jpgilbert! Awesome landings both of you.

I'm having trouble keeping the hook-loop tape stuck to the plane in this cold weather. How do you guys keep it stuck?
Do you mean to hold the camera or for the Batt ?
Dec 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
MaineFlyer
jpgilbert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly
Nice video too. I can't tell from the video, how much if any flap did you have on for most of that? Looks nice and smooth at those slow speeds.
Actually, I used the flaps very little on those flights. A few times on takeoffs and landings. I would be hard pressed to say which ones. The plane is a great flyer even without them. And I never did change the servo arm on the flap servo so they are pretty much just as received from the factory. I did notice that taking off on the water is better with a bit of flaps.

At the moment, my flap control is on the flap switch and I plan to modify it so it uses a slider on my radio also. The transmitter mitt I have is pretty tight when I use it on the DX-18. Be easier for me then. I have that setup on my Fun Cub. Now that plane has some flaps!!

Joe
Dec 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Pin
I use the aurora 9 with the flaps on the left slider. I mixed in down elevator by using Flap Control (page 2) 100% flap to +28% elevator. This is actually down elevator. I also used a longer arm on the servo for more throw, hope this helps.
I did manage to get the flaps working on a 3 position switch "E" In Flap con menu I only get the option for switches A to H, no slider option.
Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Registered User
FTA_FTW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC
Do you mean to hold the camera or for the Batt ?
For the camera. It won't stick on the floats or the fuselage. It sticks the first time I apply it, then when I try to remove the camera, it comes off.
Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-RC
On mine I injected and then coverded with black silicone caulking , its very strong
Be careful if you decide to put some epoxy in this area. It would be a good idea to tape over the area after adding the epoxy and then place the plane in a upright position or the epoxy will just run out inside the fuse where your RX is located. DAMHIKT
Dec 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA_FTW
For the camera. It won't stick on the floats or the fuselage. It sticks the first time I apply it, then when I try to remove the camera, it comes off.
I guess the sticky side of the velcro is not of a too good quality.
My velcro is very hard to remove, I took one out and had to use heat to do it.
Dec 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Let me Fly please :^)
Paul-RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikflyer
Be careful if you decide to put some epoxy in this area. It would be a good idea to tape over the area after adding the epoxy and then place the plane in a upright position or the epoxy will just run out inside the fuse where your RX is located. DAMHIKT
Thats sad, the caulking doesn't run so it was good to apply and its very strong.
Dec 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
MaineFlyer
jpgilbert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikflyer
I did manage to get the flaps working on a 3 position switch "E" In Flap con menu I only get the option for switches A to H, no slider option.
My DX-18 is similar but I added a mix so the left slider will activate the flaps. I use a switch to activate/deactivate the mix. Sliders can tend to be easier to have in the wrong position and I want to activate the mix when I want to use it.

So I mix AUX4 (controlled by left slider by default) to FLP and the mix is activated by switch A. Requires you to adjust the mix offset and rate.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you.


Joe


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Kit/Scratch Built 16 Jun 09, 2016 07:24 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Scale Fuel Planes 2 Jan 05, 2008 01:26 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Scale Airplanes 1 Dec 31, 2007 03:39 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Parkflyers 3 Dec 29, 2007 07:32 PM
Discussion Dehavilland beaver DHC-2 Mk 3 peterpont Giant Electric Planes 1 Dec 29, 2007 06:39 AM