Sep 16, 2019, 09:15 PM
We had a little float fly yesterday. The Beaver takes off so easy and is so easy to land. I won’t ever take the floats off.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 11:25 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592
We had a little float fly yesterday. The Beaver takes off so easy and is so easy to land. I wont ever take the floats off.
Mine wouldn't take off unless I had flaps deployed
Sep 17, 2019, 09:26 AM
I usually take off with half flaps on both of my float planes. It makes it easy. I tried the Beaver without flaps and it just took a little longer to lift off. My Timber is a pain to take off with no flaps. You have to really work the rudder to prevent a ground loop. It comes off the water almost too fast with half flaps.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:36 AM
3D Junkie
Extended flap mod on my Beaver, flaps rarely go up. So smooth and stable flying with extended flaps.
Oct 10, 2019, 02:09 PM
when the beaver first came out I was interested in the thread while you guys were beginning to mod them, I picked one up used last week and want to paint it... looking a little rough... what was the final decision as to best paint to paint this foamie?

thanks for looking
Oct 10, 2019, 04:01 PM
Could’t tell what the best method is, but this specific EPO foam is particularly paint-repellant. I therefore treated everything with steel wool first, than plastic primer, than two times WBPU with talcum powder to smooth out the cell structure, than final (rattle can) paint. This worked out well for me, it sounds more complicated than it really was
- and the paint is still in place!
Oct 10, 2019, 05:18 PM

Woodland Davis Float Fly at Lake Minden Oct 3-6, 2019

Here's a few photos from the Woodland Davis float fly at Lake Minden in CA.

I have 126 flights over 6 years with my orange and black Beaver. Broke a set of floats, had to replace the windshield, but otherwise, it has been a great flyer.
Oct 12, 2019, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirealAnarchist
when the beaver first came out I was interested in the thread while you guys were beginning to mod them, I picked one up used last week and want to paint it... looking a little rough... what was the final decision as to best paint to paint this foamie?

thanks for looking
Depends which one you have. Mine was from Germany and the brand Robbe not Flyzone so not sure if I can advise you.
Oct 13, 2019, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
Depends which one you have. Mine was from Germany and the brand Robbe not Flyzone so not sure if I can advise you.
Its the flyzone model....thanks

I took it out for a float fly today, had to use flaps to get off, but after a couple trim adjustments.... it flys easy peasy
however as I was making my landing approach I decided to use the flaps and that was a shock the flaps drop so abruptly the plane jumped enough to unnerve me , I just installed a turnigy servo speed controller to slow the flaps down, what a difference now it eases into the flaps on approach....fun plane to use the on water
Oct 13, 2019, 05:31 PM
MK
MK
What radio system are you using? Many allow you to have servo delay for the flaps servo so you don't get surprised like you thing. No need to install extra electronics. I know for one Spektrum has it. At least on my DX7S and it's not a high end model.
Oct 13, 2019, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK
What radio system are you using? Many allow you to have servo delay for the flaps servo so you don't get surprised like you thing. No need to install extra electronics. I know for one Spektrum has it. At least on my DX7S and it's not a high end model.
its a cheapo tactic ttx650 that came with this used gear doesnt seem to have that feature, no worries the turnigy speed controller weight isnt any concern and was way cheaper than a new radio and I had the speed controller in a spare parts box from FE boat gear
Last edited by AirealAnarchist; Oct 13, 2019 at 06:35 PM.
Oct 13, 2019, 07:10 PM
MK
MK
Ah, ok, then. You need that Turnigy device.
Oct 14, 2019, 01:44 AM
You only need flaps for take off the plane slows down a lot without them for landing. I found having just one rudder made take offs a bit easier for some reason
Oct 14, 2019, 08:02 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Flaps work great for landing
Oct 14, 2019, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona
You only need flaps for take off the plane slows down a lot without them for landing. I found having just one rudder made take offs a bit easier for some reason
I have say I disagree firmly with everything in your statement. I always land with at least half flaps, and most often with full 60* flaps. High speed landings on water are a recipe for a swim. Also, steering with dual water rudders is essential IMO. If youre having trouble controlling it on takeoff Id reconsider your technique.

Quick Reply