Nov 07, 2016, 05:48 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Everyday, I look at her on my folding work table in the living room, patiently awaiting the Rx. The look of the plane is growing on me. So much so that I may have to start saving my pennies for that giant Hangar 9 30cc Beaver with a set of floats.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2016, 05:14 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_RC_Guy
Swap out the servo arm for the flaps with a longer one in order to get sufficient travel on the flaps
Just did the swap and ran into a problem. The brass push rod connector is held to the servo arm with a plastic ring. Well, I must have stretched it out in moving it to the outer hole. It's not holding the connector on the arm now. I'm thinking I can just get a Dubro EZ connector.
Nov 08, 2016, 06:14 PM
Old Guy, New Hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
Just did the swap and ran into a problem. The brass push rod connector is held to the servo arm with a plastic ring. Well, I must have stretched it out in moving it to the outer hole. It's not holding the connector on the arm now. I'm thinking I can just get a Dubro EZ connector.
That's what I did for the EZ connector.
Nov 08, 2016, 07:52 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
a little CA on it will work, use a tooth pick to put it on, I glue all mine on
Nov 08, 2016, 08:41 PM
Pro Semi Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pert
a little CA on it will work, use a tooth pick to put it on, I glue all mine on
If I do that, the push rod connector won't be able to swivel on the servo horn.
Nov 09, 2016, 09:36 PM
I've had one of these for about 2 months now, in Island Wings livery. My initial impression of the model (good) has been tempered greatly by my experience with the motor(s). The first lasted about 5 minutes, when, after what was admittedly a rather hard splashdown, the motor growled a bit, then ran too poorly to make another takeoff. Hobbico was great...sent another motor and speed control out hasta pronto albeit improperly wired for correct rotation. But after just a few short flights, it too went sour, producing enough power for a fast taxi but not enough for lift off.

At this point, I'm at my wit's end with this thing. Normally, I might be tempted to buy another motor, but given their price ($50) and the fact that the last 2 have been junk, I'm simply not going to go there. Is there something here I'm missing? Has anybody successfully grafted a different motor into the airframe, either the Hobby King ($14) previously mentioned or another type? Or should I just take the radio guts out of it and hang it from the rafters at the cabin-on-the-lake as a conversation piece?

Help!
Nov 09, 2016, 10:41 PM
3D Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojimy
I've had one of these for about 2 months now, in Island Wings livery. My initial impression of the model (good) has been tempered greatly by my experience with the motor(s). The first lasted about 5 minutes, when, after what was admittedly a rather hard splashdown, the motor growled a bit, then ran too poorly to make another takeoff. Hobbico was great...sent another motor and speed control out hasta pronto albeit improperly wired for correct rotation. But after just a few short flights, it too went sour, producing enough power for a fast taxi but not enough for lift off.

At this point, I'm at my wit's end with this thing. Normally, I might be tempted to buy another motor, but given their price ($50) and the fact that the last 2 have been junk, I'm simply not going to go there. Is there something here I'm missing? Has anybody successfully grafted a different motor into the airframe, either the Hobby King ($14) previously mentioned or another type? Or should I just take the radio guts out of it and hang it from the rafters at the cabin-on-the-lake as a conversation piece?

Help!
Sorry to hear about your troubles! I have never heard of these motors going bad, unless it was saltwater. I used the DT750s on a tricopter and they worked great unless slammed into the ground. Honestly I would grab a similiar motor and see how it does!
Nov 10, 2016, 08:56 AM
http://www.forcerc.com/product/force...--p38-fmmkv920

via LGv10
Nov 10, 2016, 09:23 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
If I do that, the push rod connector won't be able to swivel on the servo horn.
yes it will if you dont get it on the arm, tooth pick
Nov 10, 2016, 11:12 AM
Pro Semi Driver
I'll give it a try. But I'm still gonna buy a pack of the e-z connectors just in case.
Nov 10, 2016, 02:42 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:

Help!
If you look back over this thread, the subject of defective motors is conspicuously absent.
I replaced the bearing in mine after playing submarine once, but that is normal, and not a defective motor.

Could the ESC be having issues, and not the motors?
Nov 10, 2016, 08:33 PM
Quote:

Help!
You didn't mention the lipo battery size and age your using. I agree with Doug, about the probability of the ESC. Is it stock or did you ever replace it? I have hundreds of hours on all three of my Beavers and only one engine when I also submerged one not flipping over but got drenched by a huge boat wave I powered through to not flipping over and then letting the plane dry out. Best I've read is to run the engine dry providing not salt water. I do LPS #3 oil all of them every four months and they have all performed flawlessly. Bill
Nov 11, 2016, 05:32 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitieford
You didn't mention the lipo battery size and age your using. I agree with Doug, about the probability of the ESC. Is it stock or did you ever replace it? I have hundreds of hours on all three of my Beavers and only one engine when I also submerged one not flipping over but got drenched by a huge boat wave I powered through to not flipping over and then letting the plane dry out. Best I've read is to run the engine dry providing not salt water. I do LPS #3 oil all of them every four months and they have all performed flawlessly. Bill
iv had 4 beavers, I have had 1 motor go bad, saltwater, I replaced the bearings on all of them , I had a box full of mini protos bearings, and they fit, 3 are still going strong, I wash down everything with fresh water after every outing, and a good spray of CX on all elec, even doing this, I found if the plane is not used , the salt still dose a number on the bearings, give them a good run on the bench when they are not being used for a bit, move all control rods, I remove rods , give them a little scrub , and CX them .I also keep the wing servos oiled , if not , you will never get those servo arm screws off, I move my ESC as far back as I can on all my planes, they are the first thing that will go bad, even CX on them dont help much , salt never dries, got to keep things moving,
Nov 11, 2016, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pert
iv had 4 beavers, I have had 1 motor go bad, saltwater, I replaced the bearings on all of them , I had a box full of mini protos bearings, and they fit, 3 are still going strong, I wash down everything with fresh water after every outing, and a good spray of CX on all elec, even doing this, I found if the plane is not used , the salt still dose a number on the bearings, give them a good run on the bench when they are not being used for a bit, move all control rods, I remove rods , give them a little scrub , and CX them .I also keep the wing servos oiled , if not , you will never get those servo arm screws off, I move my ESC as far back as I can on all my planes, they are the first thing that will go bad, even CX on them dont help much , salt never dries, got to keep things moving,
I hate salt water and your right about the servo screws. I also have a large sailboat and sailed it ONCE in Blue Water Bay by Niceville FL. I even used the neutralizer and flushed allot of water and still the salt nailed those servos, and that was in brackish waters with no exposed engine even the receiver nailed and mind you nothing got wet. What we need is stainless steel and a very expensive sealed motor. I have flown Bush wheels Kavan 4 inch on the Beach and no problem with little to no wind when the tied goes out. Allot of fun. Wish I could wave a magic wand and presto all our planes around the world would be immune from the sea salt water. Bill
Nov 11, 2016, 11:47 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Beaver under wing! (11 min 19 sec)

Quick Reply