Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by Esprit Model
espritmodel.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
No disrespect intended, but let's not go overboard or I will have to ask the mods to start trimming some of these posts for excessive promotion of a product by a vendor.
No disrespect, but this is forum for sailplane guys and I wanted to show Vario features. I guess sailplane people are interested in seeing that.
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
I'd rather be flying!
I searched the thread for '10C', and didn't see anyone recommending it, so here goes.

I've been flying my power-planes & helis with the module-based Futaba 10CHP for about 5 years. Before that, my primary rig was an 8UAF, and before that, it was an FP-7FG/E Gold FM - both also module-based. After 29 years of flying power only, I recently decided to get into soaring & I picked up a full-house ship. Why do I like the 10C?

• Although I had never set up a full-house sailplane wing before, I had no trouble getting everything to work correctly.
  • There are enough wing & tail types to cover most (if not all) configurations, and the popular sailplane mixes are already set up for the wing & tail type selected. There is a 3-point butterfly-elevator mix with assignable points & elevator delay, an offset menu with rate and delay settings, elevator mixing in the camber menu, 4 sailplane-specific conditions, and there are enough custom linear and 5-point mixes to do pretty much anything else one may want to do.
  • All switches, knobs, and sliders are freely assignable. There are options for the second aileron channel and the flaps channel. For instance, I'm using ch 5 for the second aileron and ch 6 for flaps on my Radian Pro's 6-channel rx.
  • Along with the three front-panel knobs, there are user-assignable left-hand & right-hand ratcheted sliders with center detents on the back of the case. They are very easy to operate, and it's easy to feel their positions & get good repeatability when using them for proportional flaps and/or proportional camber/reflex.
  • There are three user-programmable flight-timers for each aircraft that can be programmed to any throttle position, switch, or even the power switch. The hold & reset functions are also programmable. For my Radian Pro, I have one timer tied to the power switch, and another tied to the throttle so that I know the total motor-time per flight. I have the power-on timer reset tied to a spring-loaded switch so that I can easily reset it just before the launch. I use the third timer as an hours meter for each aircraft.
  • It's a module-based rig, so I can fly FASST, Spektrum BNF, 72 MHz PCM, 6-meter ham, and most likely whatever they come up with next - all with the same rig.
The downsides are that it's not telemetry-capable like many of the newest rigs are, and that it's limited to 1024-step resolution when running non-Futaba modules such as the Spektrum DM8.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I searched the thread for '10C', and didn't see anyone recommending it, so here goes.

I've been flying my power-planes & helis with the module-based Futaba 10CHP for about 5 years. Before that, my primary rig was an 8UAF, and before that, it was an FP-7FG/E Gold FM - both also module-based. After 29 years of flying power only, I recently decided to get into soaring & I picked up a full-house ship. Why do I like the 10C?

• Although I had never set up a full-house sailplane wing before, I had no trouble getting everything to work correctly.
  • There are enough wing & tail types to cover most (if not all) configurations, and the popular sailplane mixes are already set up for the wing & tail type selected. There is a 3-point butterfly-elevator mix with assignable points & elevator delay, an offset menu with rate and delay settings, elevator mixing in the camber menu, 4 sailplane-specific conditions, and there are enough custom linear and 5-point mixes to do pretty much anything else one may want to do.
  • All switches, knobs, and sliders are freely assignable. There are options for the second aileron channel and the flaps channel.
  • Along with the three front-panel knobs, there are user-assignable left-hand & right-hand ratcheted sliders with center detents on the back of the case. They are very easy to operate, and it's easy to feel their positions & get good repeatability when using them for proportional flaps and/or proportional camber/reflex.
  • There are three user-programmable flight-timers for each aircraft that can be programmed to any throttle position, switch, or even the power switch. The hold & reset functions are also programmable. For my Radian Pro, I have one timer tied to the power switch, and another tied to the throttle so that I know the total motor-time per flight. I have the power-on timer reset tied to a spring-loaded switch so that I can easily reset it just before the launch. I use the third timer as an hours meter for each aircraft.
  • It's a module-based rig, so I can fly FASST, Spektrum BNF, 72 MHz PCM, 6-meter ham, and most likely whatever they come up with next - all with the same rig.
The downsides are that it's not telemetry-capable like many of the newest rigs are, and that it's limited to 1024-step resolution when running non-Futaba modules such as the Spektrum DM8.

Joel
If you want telemetry, put a FrSky module in it.