Aug 31, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The STONE: STobel fuse/zONE V2 wing

Hey!

I thought this might be of interest since I've discovered there are alot of people like me who've demolished their Stobel V3 wing but the fuse is OK. However, a new Stobel wing is $675.00 and my repaired wing was getting seriously chunky until I seriously destroyed it yet again on launch. Enough. I tried.

So I bought a really nice bagged wing at the CASA/ESL comp this last July 18th. I think I got lucky for $200.00 because the workmanship is extraordinary and each panel is only 60 gms. I haven't asked the guy who bagged them if I could use his name but his stuff is really good, really light. Beautiful workmanship.

Nothing exotic on the build: Hyperion ds09scd's, through the wing linkage, cg at 75mm, Stobel throw peg. The fuse still had the original spring/pull and stock tail feathers that I installed when I got it. I was pleased that it came out at 9.4 ozs now vs 9.9 ozs for the original Stobel.

Test flew it this evening and it flies really great! It launches high and penetrates like one would expect with this wing but I was surprised by how well it floats in the light air; a nice surprise. Gerald really designed a very capable wing.

Anyway, I'm really happy with it! I think it flies as well as the Stobel V3 and that is saying alot. AND, if one of the Hyperions goes bad, I won't have to perform surgery like I did on the V3 wing.

So I consider it a happy ending for an orphaned Stobel fuse.

Reid
Last edited by ReidRoberts; Sep 01, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: gud werds and sperring
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2012, 09:57 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Nicely done! Looks good.
Sep 01, 2012, 08:42 AM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidRoberts
Hey!

I thought this might be of interest since I've discovered there are alot of people like me who've demolished their Stobel V3 wing but the fuse is OK. However, a new Stobel wing is $675.00 and my repaired wing was getting seriously chunky until I seriously destroyed it yet again on launch. Enough. I tried.

So I bought a really nice bagged wing at the CASA/ESL comp this last July 18th. I think I got lucky for $200.00 because the workmanship is extraordinary and each panel is only 60 gms. I haven't asked the guy who bagged them if I could use his name but his stuff is really good, really light. Beautiful workmanship.

Nothing exotic on the build: Hyperion ds09scd's, through the wing linkage, cg at 75cm, Stobel throw peg. The fuse still had the original spring/pull and stock tail feathers that I installed when I got it. I was pleased that it came out at 9.4 ozs now vs 9.9 ozs for the original Stobel.

Test flew it this evening and it flies really great! It launches high and penetrates like one would expect with this wing but I was surprised by how well it floats in the light air; a nice surprise. Gerald really designed a very capable wing.

Anyway, I'm really happy with it! I think it flies as well as the Stobel V3 and that is saying alot. AND, if one of the Hyperions goes bad, I won't have to perform surgery like I did on the V3 wing.

So I consider it a happy ending for an orphaned Stobel fuse.

Reid
Nicely done! Looks like you blended the panel joint into the fuselage - how'd ya do that? And please ask you wing vendor if he wants to sell to the general public - I'm willing to bet that there's a large hidden market for wings for those who invested heavily into a molded ship and can't afford factory replacements. Bagged wings rule!

Sep 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
Make Flying Fun
Glad you're happy Reid, Kudos Charles !
Practice makes perfect sometimes !
Sep 01, 2012, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Yup,

The prior poster, Kevin Sharabonda, did indeed bag the wing. I've looked at a lot of bagged and molded DLG wings and, at the risk of embarrassing Kevin, these are incredible! If I've seen a better, lighter bagged wing, I can't remember it. And it has top and bottom spars for rigidity and stiffness. Lots of attention to detail!

Charles,

Good eye on the wing fairings blending into the fuse! I cut the molded fairings out of the old Stobel V3 wing, sanded and glued them onto this wing. Then the front one flew off during my test launches. So I found an old DLG fibreglas canopy, sanded it fit, heated it to get the proper curve and glued it on better.

The reason I went to all this trouble is that I think the later Stobel fuses are impressive. Tiny frontal area, strong, relatively light. It's a nice turn of events that this experiment has turned into a very nice DLG.
Sep 02, 2012, 08:46 AM
ET
Hey Reid,

That looks great. Love the name, STONE. Perfect!

Eric
Sep 02, 2012, 01:47 PM
But I am learning
Yeah Kevin got his CNC Hotwire back. I purchased it from him several years ago, and had it set up the best I could do. I made hundreds of cores with it, but had not touched it after I got a CNC router. I sold it back to Kevin as a turn key system, and he should be able to pick up where I left off. His work has become top notch, and Reid got a nice wing at a fair price. Charles, the cores you last got from me were cut by Kevin a couple weeks before he came and picked up the machine to take back to his shop.

Nice plane Reid, and nice work too Kevin.

Brian P.
Sep 02, 2012, 02:36 PM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Can't_Fly
Yeah Kevin got his CNC Hotwire back. I purchased it from him several years ago, and had it set up the best I could do. I made hundreds of cores with it, but had not touched it after I got a CNC router. I sold it back to Kevin as a turn key system, and he should be able to pick up where I left off. His work has become top notch, and Reid got a nice wing at a fair price. Charles, the cores you last got from me were cut by Kevin a couple weeks before he came and picked up the machine to take back to his shop.

Nice plane Reid, and nice work too Kevin.

Brian P.
That is so good to hear! I love my bagged wings, and with more time on hand I'd produce them by the boatload and fly DLG with reckless abandon. It pains me to see pilots invest their play money into a single molded DLG, and be unable to continue flying after the first mishap. I understand why the sport has matured in the same way that TD and F3J/B have, but still cringe when newcomers are told that they'll have to invest roughly $2K for 2 DLGs, and expect them to last maybe a year. C'mon man, this hobby is becoming unaffordable.

Hopefully, Kevin will market his (Zone V2) wings, and you keep making tails. Too bad Adam isn't making fuses anymore, because all three together add up to a very good plane for relatively little money. I'm also greatful to Barry Kennedy for making Vlad's Spread-Tow available, which will cover my entire next wing, together with some HM uni from RG. It'll take about $60 of ST for one wing, but I'm kinda tired of sanding Kevlar ...

Sep 02, 2012, 11:06 PM
Looks awesome!!! I know how you feel, I just performed surgery on my V2 today. had a cracked servo case. I was so frustrated I was thinking about pulling both of the crap servos and the RDS for old reliable top drive!

I have one of Adam's awesome fuses, just need a nice wing for it! Hint Hint!

Brandon
Nov 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
Make Flying Fun

FYI ... Winter building under way !

Popping out some DLG wings and tails. I've lost contacts for guys who were looking for stuff ! If you have contacted me and are still interested please send me an email or pm and I'll try to rebuild the list ! Thanks for the band width.
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Feb 04, 2017 at 11:22 AM.
Nov 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Kevin, I was waiting for a zone v2 just like the one in the pic!

Thanks!
Brandon
Nov 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
Make Flying Fun
Got ya Brandon, should be on the way coming early the coming week! Thanks.
Nov 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
Closed Account
Nice work Kevin ! Did you build your CNC hot-wire?

Paul
Nov 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
I saw this wing in person at ECHLGF and it's gorgeous. It's a testament to Gerald's foils that it has gained so much popularity, and that Reid likes it as much as the Stobel wing as well. At this price, I don't think anyone could go wrong with this approach. If my Stobel wing has another serious mishap I'll probably be in the market as well...
Nov 19, 2012, 06:05 AM
Make Flying Fun
Yes, controller is Hobby CNC for foam and assebled a foamlinx kit I got from a guy who bought it and shyed away. Pobably 6-7 years ago ! I put them all together and using GMFC software. When the girls moved back in it sat on the shelf so Brian picked it up. He went to routers so I got it back now that the kids are grown and I'm retired, been giving it a workout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder
Nice work Kevin ! Did you build your CNC hot-wire?

Paul
Last edited by KevinSharbonda; Feb 04, 2017 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply