Jan 16, 2004, 06:51 AM
Account closed
All batteries charged up and ready to fly! Saturday looks bad with regard to winds!!

Carlos
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2004, 11:43 AM
Look what I did:D
Quote:
Originally posted by dogon1013
Yes i do, i also have access to a great 3D CAD program (Solid Edge) and a CAM program, so i can make molds from scratch (after hours of course ).

I have been thinking of using the 2-part expanding foam for modeling planes(same as the can of "great stuff" you can get at HD)

I dont thint great stuff will work verry well. Ive devised a way to heat ameatle mould I just need a way to make one.

Brad
Jan 16, 2004, 11:46 AM
Account closed
We have been asked what things or suggestions of ways ISS can support NASA's lunar goals and I am working on re-using the Lunar Rover Vehicle (LRV) as it was known during the Apollo Era.

I am investigating the effects of Atomic Oxygen on all systems and investigating on developing some new technology batteries for the rovers (two of them Apollo 16 & 17) and perhaps new solor panels.

I have downloaded schematics, diagrams, and pictures....

One picture that took my breath was one with Jack Schmitt taken by Gene Cernan. Take a look at Earth from this vantage point!

WOW!

Carlos
Jan 16, 2004, 11:53 AM
Account closed

Hormonic Drive

Wow, 80:1 gear ratio and no need for gear shifting!
Jan 16, 2004, 11:54 AM
Account closed

Lunar Rover Vehicle Drive Motor

LRV Drive Motor!
Jan 16, 2004, 12:02 PM
Account closed

Apollo 17

Gene is driving ESE, skirting the boulder field on the southwest rim of Camelot. The East Massif dominates the horizon.

Just loads of data!!

Can't wait to get started on the batteries!
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jan 16, 2004 at 12:16 PM.
Jan 16, 2004, 12:20 PM
Account closed

Going back to R/C models..

Okay, anyone flying today at HOME DEPOT?

I'll be there at 4:00PM, it's just wonderful out there today!

3- 4MPH winds, honest!

Carlos
Jan 16, 2004, 12:25 PM
Carlos, I have an idea

I noticed that they were using brushed type DC motors. I'd hook that baby up with four large brushless Mega Motors with of course Thunderpower cells and then just let them drive it back to Earth.

Seriously, It sounds like you have an awsome work assignment. Very Cool. Earl
Jan 16, 2004, 12:38 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
Carlos,

The harmonic drive gear reduction is ingenious, I had no idea it was used on the lunar rover. I saw one in my power-transmission class at UF, although i don't think they were very good for high torque applications (the professor said they were mainly used for instrementation).

What is the HP rating for those electric motors for the rover, there was one motor per wheel right? i would guess they are less than 1HP per wheel.
Jan 16, 2004, 12:43 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally posted by dogon1013
Carlos,

The harmonic drive gear reduction is ingenious, I had no idea it was used on the lunar rover. I saw one in my power-transmission class at UF, although i don't think they were very good for high torque applications (the professor said they were mainly used for instrementation).

What is the HP rating for those electric motors for the rover, there was one motor per wheel right? i would guess they are less than 1HP per wheel.
Yes, one per wheel and it's high torque considering that the moon has 1/6 of earth gravity so, the get up and go is much quicker and powerful than if the rover is operated here on Earth.

I'll post when I get the specifications document on these motor with the Hormonic Drive assembly.
-----------------------------------------
The second of three photos Gene took of Jack jumping into the LMP Rover seat. Good view of the segmented mirror on the top of the TV camera. Jack has the LRv sampler in his right hand. Note the seismic charge transporter mounted behind Gene's seat, just in front of the rake. Both the low-gain and high-gain antennas are pointed at Earth. The East Massif is in the distance.

Wow!
-----------------------------------------------
Anyone showing up at the HOME DEPOT Field?
Jan 16, 2004, 12:56 PM
NTSB most wanted
Quote:
Originally posted by guapoman2000
Anyone showing up at the HOME DEPOT Field?
If I can sneak out, I'll be there.

BTW, the real first image from the Mars Rover:
Jan 16, 2004, 01:50 PM
Account closed
That MARVIN pic in front of the MARS backdrop was just SUPER...I forwarded to three Engineering Branches over here and I could hear laughter from one office to the other...!

Thanks!
Carlos
Jan 16, 2004, 06:57 PM
Glad to see our tax dollars are well spent!
Jan 16, 2004, 07:35 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

Hey guys, GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!

For my Birthday which was on Jan 11, MY brother bought me a
KIT from STEVEN AERO, The CAP 232 , I just got it in the mail today, Before i got to the Flying field!!

YA HOO!!

Luis
Jan 16, 2004, 07:46 PM
Team Broke

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

Quote:
Originally posted by GWSLAWNDART
Hey guys, GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!

For my Birthday which was on Jan 11, MY brother bought me a
KIT from STEVEN AERO, The CAP 232 , I just got it in the mail today, Before i got to the Flying field!!

YA HOO!!

Luis

Luis, You are gonn LOVE this kit ! I have mine all framed up & mostly sanded. I am gonna pick up some covering tomorrow.
Boy, I can't wait to fly her, this is gonna be one AEROBATIC plane.
Just have to choose my colors tonite.

I'll talk to ya,
Jim

Quick Reply