Feb 02, 2014, 12:35 PM

Setup help needed

Iceman,

I'm finally getting around to doing the setup on my Sebart Mig29 and I'm hoping you could clear up my confusion. I feel really stupid that I can't figure this out but in my defense I've setup numerous other gyro's, stabilization systems and FBL controllers over the years and never had a problem before. I'd posted this several months ago when I bought the unit but I'll summarize the setup again so we won't have to lookup the old posts.

The unit will only be controlling the vectored thrust nozzles (VT). The VT nozzles operate as elevons with one servo each for up/down function and a single servo mounted in between the two nozzles for yaw. I'm using an 8 channel receiver connected the following way.

Throttle - Throttle
Ail - Y'd to dual Ail servos
Elev - Y'd to dual Elev servos
Rudd - Y'd to dual Rudd servos
Gear - controlling gyro On/Off
Aux1 - Right VT Elevon servo
Aux2- Single VT Rudder servo
Aux3- Left VT Elevon servo

I've setup the mixes in the radio so that when everything is connected to the rx as listed above it all works properly. Now I need to disconnect the VT from the rx.....Aux1/Aux2/Aux3 and run them through the gyro. I tried following your directions from your previous reply but I simply didn't understand what you were trying to say and nothing worked properly. I also don't see a setting in the software for Elevons "Small flying wing airplane" was the closest so I selected that. If you could explain what Inputs I would connect Aux1/Aux2/Aux3 to on the gyro and then what output to connect the RVT, LVT and Rudder servo's to so that it would work in my current configuration, and any gyro setting you can think of to get me close to where I need to be.

In your previous response:

Outputs:
1 : Elevator (pitch)
2 : Aileron (roll)
3 : VT (pitch + roll)
4 : VT (pitch - roll)
5 : Rudder (yaw)
6 : Rudder (-yaw)

It's the +/- that's confusing me....in my mind rudder is simply that, I don't get the +/- aspect. Same for 3 and 4 for the VT pitch + roll/ - roll.

Thanks
Last edited by supertoyz; Feb 02, 2014 at 12:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2014, 09:02 PM
Hi supertoyz,

Connection:
The best solution I think is to organize to get normal Elevator (pitch) as Aux1 and input into the gyro input 1, and normal Aileron (roll) as Aux2 and input into the gyro input 3. Also normal rudder (yaw) signal as Aux3 and input into the gyro input 5. (ie no mixing in your Tx)
The outputs then are: Output 3 to RightVT servo, output 4 to LeftVT Servo and output 5 to the central yaw servo.

Setup:
For the set up you can select "Small flying wing airplane" (ie make sure on the mixing tab you have Flying wing option selected and 100% in the box, make sure V-tail is NOT selected and the V-tail slider is all the way to the left). Then make sure you have output 4 inverted (from the basic tab page subtrim section.

Test:
- If the yaw is moving the wrong way round to what you would expect then you can connect the servo to output 6 instead of 5 (This is what is meant by negative yaw)
- If the elevon pitch is moving the wrong way than expected then instead of inverting output 4 from the basic tab you can invert output 3 instead.
- If any gyro actions are wrong compared to what you'd expect you can invert the gyo actions from the Prof 1 tab page. (Or at the field with the POTs method as described in the user manual)

All this assuming PC tool v3.1 Gyro v3.2 (Most up to date)

Hope this helps.
Latest blog entry: BL-3G Independent review
Feb 02, 2014, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro
All this assuming PC tool v3.1 Gyro v3.2 (Most up to date).
That brings up another question......I downloaded and updated that latest software pack and updated the firmware however to software still says v3.0
Feb 02, 2014, 11:29 PM
The s/w should be at 3.1 (visible at the top of the PC tool) and the firmware at 3.2, visible when you have the gyro connected and go to upgrade page and press the current firmware version text a couple of times. Please check you downloaded the correct package.
Feb 03, 2014, 09:54 PM
I downloaded the latest software package from the website (v3.2) and confirmed the installed firmware is now v3.2 however the software still shows 3.0 I even uninstalled and reinstalled from the new download......still 3.0
Feb 04, 2014, 04:17 AM
I've just downloaded the package from our website and upgraded a gyro, I see the PC software is version 3.1 and the gyro firmware is version 3.2. Can you try to double click the setup.exe again and select the repair option?
Feb 04, 2014, 11:58 AM
Tried both the repair and remove options, same results.

I just went to add/remove programs in Windows and it shows (2) a rev 3.0.0 and 3.1.0

I removed 3.0.0 and deleted the shortcut on my desktop then went to the program list and launched it from there, still 3.0 showing so I went back to add/remove and removed the remaining 3.1.0 version. Then reinstalled again from the website, 3.1 is now shown correctly.
Last edited by supertoyz; Feb 04, 2014 at 12:06 PM.
Feb 04, 2014, 12:40 PM
Your suggestions seemed to have worked. I wasn't considering the mixing would be taking place in the gyro. I disabled all of the old mixes in the radio and just mixed each aux channel to the corresponding rudd/ail/elev channels and hooked it up as you suggested. Everything seems to be working. Now I just need to tweak it so I have ability to turn VT off/on and the Gyro off/on all independently.
Feb 04, 2014, 08:35 PM
Sounds good. By default the gyro on/off is on input switch 7 as you can see on the Adv2 tab. (You can selectively switch the VT on/off if you only check the pitch and roll options and leave the yaw unchecked. Alternatively you can have another input mapped to the two gain adjust and selected 1.0 for normal gain and 0.0 gain for any axis you want to selectively be able to switch off (again, pitch and roll would need to be done as a pair to handle your VT)
Feb 05, 2014, 10:12 AM

HH-mode

IceManPro " For HH we can certainly consider how to improve this. Currently it's important for the RC Tx to be matched (via the Adv1 tab). Can you explain exactly how you would like such a HH function to work? Ie I assume you will switch it on / off with a switch. And then it will work only when the RC Tx roll / rudder controls are central right?"

Hi IceManPro,

Yes indead, it would be a great progress to include a HH mode, working as you described in your post above. I tested last season several different gyros with HH mode included, but I like the possibility of the BL-3GRC to select individual PID parameters.
GŁnter
Feb 07, 2014, 09:30 AM
Having emailed Iceman with my problems he was very quick to reply and after trying some things out he the sent me a new unit out with out question and this one works just fine. Thank you very much A1****** supplier
Feb 07, 2014, 11:09 AM
Can the Gyro be connected between the Min servo Power Distributor UBEC box and the servo's
i have just bought one so as to keep a regulated 6v to the servo's
Feb 07, 2014, 11:46 PM
Yes. This looks like a good product. If you see the block diagram on this page:
http://www.4-max.co.uk/rccskj-power-box-yellow.html
You can see the RC Rx connects in at the top. All you need to do is to connect the BL-3GRC gyro between the RC Rx and the UBEC unit. The only thing I can't find on the UBEC spec is the input signal voltage level. The input battery voltage is specified but the RC receiver signal voltage is not. But most people work on standard TTL levels so it should be able to receive the 3.3v output from our gyro.
Feb 08, 2014, 05:05 AM
thank you iceman

This is the unit i have and the voltage is veriable from a little screw ranging from 4.8v-9.7v which i have set to 6v going to the gyro and hopefully will be the same going to the servo,s. If there is a drop of going through the gyro then i will have to increase the input voltage. What is the max voltage the gyro will take without damage.

Regards
Martin
Feb 09, 2014, 08:36 PM
Hi Martin, The main power to the gyro can be from 4.8v up to 20v, but we recommend no more than about 12v, so 6v is fine. The gyro output 3 way connectors have 3 signals; ground (0v), power (as just indicated, 6v is fine, whatever comes in goes out with no drop) and signal. For our gyro the signal level is always 3.3v meeting the TTL spec. You can see more information here: http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...Connection.pdf and some good explanation of TTL levels here:https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...l-logic-levels

I just need to be clear here; the gyro voltage supply can be high, but the signal level voltage of the signals coming in from the RC Rx can't go over 7.3v
Last edited by IceManPro; Feb 09, 2014 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply