Jun 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Just a quick update.

Ive upped to V3 on the PC and think that's done the trick

Now if I hold the stick hard over and move the airframe around, the control surfaces stay at maximum deflection (previously the gyro would kick in and fight against me)

Thanks again for the quick reply
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
Thanks again for the quick reply. Just double checked and I'd been using v3.0 firmware but only 2.4 on the PC end.

Ive a week or two before hitting the field again so hopefully plenty time to get it sorted - fingers crossed

EDIT : Ooops, posted same time as Phaedra. Looks like we might have a similar prob - good luck mate.
Yes, need v3.0 firmware and v3.0 PC software. More info in the text section here:
BL-3GRC Gyro firmware upgrade (3 min 39 sec)
Latest blog entry: BL-3G Independent review
Jun 11, 2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra
I don't see a range tab....
I see that I have V2.4, so I'll upgrade to the latest version first before we look any further.
Thanks,
Phaedra
No, as you say, you need to upgrade to v3.0 for that feature.
Jun 12, 2013, 02:02 PM
An unexpected error occurred
No joy.
Upgraded the PC client program, downloaded the new firmware, and then tried to perform the firmware update as instructed, but I keep getting the 'incorrect please try again' message when I copy-paste the code from the text file that came with the firmware.
EDIT:
I downloaded the firmware again, restarted the PC software, and then it worked. Awkward, but it works now.
But the aileron differentital is still wrong. I have recycled power on the gyro after the change in settings, but I still get just an inverted signal on the other aileron: less "Up" than "down".
I'm also experiencing troubles switching the gyro on/off ever since I did the Tx input matching thing. I'm trying to figure out if it is a transmitter programming problem or not, but I have tried a lot of things, and it worked perfectly before.
I added the settings file in attachment.
Last edited by Phaedra; Jun 12, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Jun 12, 2013, 05:40 PM
Hi IceMan!
Any idea why the pitch rate data will not settle down like the roll and yaw? The gyro seems to work fine.

Thank You!!!
Jun 12, 2013, 10:49 PM
Quote:
No joy.
Upgraded the PC client program, downloaded the new firmware, and then tried to perform the firmware update as instructed, but I keep getting the 'incorrect please try again' message when I copy-paste the code from the text file that came with the firmware.
EDIT:
I downloaded the firmware again, restarted the PC software, and then it worked. Awkward, but it works now.
But the aileron differentital is still wrong. I have recycled power on the gyro after the change in settings, but I still get just an inverted signal on the other aileron: less "Up" than "down".
I'm also experiencing troubles switching the gyro on/off ever since I did the Tx input matching thing. I'm trying to figure out if it is a transmitter programming problem or not, but I have tried a lot of things, and it worked perfectly before.
I added the settings file in attachment.
I see a few issues on your set up:
1) Adv1 tab page. Since you didn't have a throttle input into the gyro during the matching process the throttle signal min max are both at 1500. These values are also being used by the real time switches so you need to set the top one to say 2000 and the lower to say 1000. This will fix the gyro on/off issue. (It looks that your RC Tx is outputting odd values for the pitch. Normally the pitch, roll and yaw throws are pretty similar, I suggest you check this). I notice you have throttle in / out of the gyro on your set up, so it's important to have the throttle matching done correctly. (Note that you can also have the throttle going directly from the Rx to the ESC if you like)
2) Your roll range is set up with min pulse at 1270 and max at 2191, but your center position is at 1636 - this means you have a lot more aileron throw in one direction than the other
3) Looking at your Range values you have 100% set for the roll. Hence you don't actually have any aileron differential set up. You need to put some lower value such as 50% so the downward moving ailerons only move 50% compared to normal.
4) Basic tab page: Are you sure the funcub has digital servos? Worth to check this out, if unsure better to set to analogue. (I just checked they are in fact analogue, see here)
Last edited by IceManPro; Jun 13, 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Jun 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPheli
Hi IceMan!
Any idea why the pitch rate data will not settle down like the roll and yaw? The gyro seems to work fine.

Thank You!!!
Not every gyro device is identical, to have some offset is normal, it is this offset that is removed during the initialization sequence - the important thing is the green bars are at zero since these are the signals going to the control surfaces.
Last edited by IceManPro; Jun 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Jun 12, 2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash
Just a quick update.

Ive upped to V3 on the PC and think that's done the trick

Now if I hold the stick hard over and move the airframe around, the control surfaces stay at maximum deflection (previously the gyro would kick in and fight against me)

Thanks again for the quick reply
Cool. You can adjust the stick sensitivities to suit.
Jun 13, 2013, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro
I see a few issues on your set up:
1) Adv1 tab page. Since you didn't have a throttle input into the gyro during the matching process the throttle signal min max are both at 1500. These values are also being used by the real time switches so you need to set the top one to say 2000 and the lower to say 1000. This will fix the gyro on/off issue. (It looks that your RC Tx is outputting odd values for the pitch. Normally the pitch, roll and yaw throws are pretty similar, I suggest you check this). I notice you have throttle in / out of the gyro on your set up, so it's important to have the throttle matching done correctly. (Note that you can also have the throttle going directly from the Rx to the ESC if you like)
2) Your roll range is set up with min pulse at 1270 and max at 2191, but your center position is at 1636 - this means you have a lot more aileron throw in one direction than the other
3) Looking at your Range values you have 100% set for the roll. Hence you don't actually have any aileron differential set up. You need to put some lower value such as 50% so the downward moving ailerons only move 50% compared to normal.
4) Basic tab page: Are you sure the funcub has digital servos? Worth to check this out, if unsure better to set to analogue. (I just checked they are in fact analogue, see here)
Thanks for your input.
I still had some throw settings on the Tx, which caused the strange range values. I corrected that, and now all channels work as expected, including correct aileron differential.
The only thing I'm still not up to speed with, is the throttle. I don't want the throttle channel used in the gyro, but if I disable the throttle output, I get an error message, forgot which one. I have way too little time, but I definetely need to catch up on my reading of the manual, so much is clear.
Thanks for helping me move forward faster on this, appreciate it a lot,

Phaedra

Edit: yes, my funcub uses digital servo's, installed them myself.
Jun 13, 2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Thanks for your input.
I still had some throw settings on the Tx, which caused the strange range values. I corrected that, and now all channels work as expected, including correct aileron differential.
The only thing I'm still not up to speed with, is the throttle. I don't want the throttle channel used in the gyro, but if I disable the throttle output, I get an error message, forgot which one. I have way too little time, but I definetely need to catch up on my reading of the manual, so much is clear.
Thanks for helping me move forward faster on this, appreciate it a lot,

Phaedra

Edit: yes, my funcub uses digital servo's, installed them myself.
Hi Phaedra, the main reasons why you might want to have throttle input is so you can change the throttle curve, or set greater rudder gain during take off (gyro will implement this for a time after it detects 30% throttle). To disable throttle input you just need to go into Adv2 tab and de-select the input channel assigned to Power in mode, and also un-check the throttle out onto output 6 on the basic tab.
Jun 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
Got it working now, thanks so much for the help, it saved me a lot of time!
Can't wait to retry it in flight.
Jun 14, 2013, 04:09 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro
Cool. You can adjust the stick sensitivities to suit.

Hi Icy,

Unfortunately not at home right now but hopefully have a proper look later in the week if all goes to plan. It was definitely a huge improvement over my previous attempts so we're making progress

Now I can fly in the wind, if you can just sort out the rain .....

Thanks again for all your hard work in the forums - if only all manufacturers were as keen
Jun 17, 2013, 02:04 AM
Took her flying yesterday, with moderate wind.
Took off with gyro switched off, but that wasn't such a good idea apparently: all the channel setup like curves and differential are inactive when the gyro is off!
After a hairy takeoff, I took it several mistakes high, and switched the gyro on.
From then on, things went pretty marvelous.
I gradually increased the gyro gain, and you can see the corrections happening when it turns in and out of the wind. Had to re-trim because I forgot to take note of the correct elevator position before reprogramming, had to bring the elevator trim all the way back for level flight. My mistake, no harm done.
I then had the brilliant idea of switching the gyro off again: the plane went into a shallow dive, because the trim is reset when switching off the gyro!
Had an uneventful flight and landing, and decided to adjust trim settings before having another flight.
Time to explore further possibilities, printed out the new manual and will be catching up on some reading here.
Jun 17, 2013, 03:22 AM
Hi Phaedra, I'm a bit concerned about the gyro on off issue. When all set up correctly you should indeed be able to switch the gyro on/off during flight with no problems. Did you follow the procedure set out in section 2.7.2 of the manual?
Jun 17, 2013, 04:20 AM
Yes, I did that setup, but with the incorrect elevator trim apparently.
I had to change the elevator trim in flight, with the gyro ON, but when I switched the gyro off again, the elevator neutral position shifted back to the original neutral value that was programmed.

Quick Reply