I will assume that the Bl3g was in the survivor......LOL

Cheers, JR
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001
I will assume that the Bl3g was in the survivor......LOL

Cheers, JR
Good assumption :-) I don't think there was much hope for the other plane. Even a gyro can't help out a plane with only one wing!
Latest blog entry: BL-3G Independent review
Apr 26, 2013, 06:34 AM
Would be nice to see some pics or vids of your gyro'd up aircraft if you have..
Apr 26, 2013, 05:45 PM
IceMan, I just got my BL-3GRC. Can't wait to get it flying. Thank you on updating the firmware with the dual aileron pass through mode. I have a question though. Why am I restricted to un-commanded mode only when pass through is enabled? Un-comanded mode is probably what I will use, but I would like to try the others. Also, are most people just using the default settings? There is so much you can change, it will take a lot of time to try everything.
Thanks
Alan
Apr 27, 2013, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPheli
IceMan, I just got my BL-3GRC. Can't wait to get it flying. Thank you on updating the firmware with the dual aileron pass through mode. I have a question though. Why am I restricted to un-commanded mode only when pass through is enabled? Un-comanded mode is probably what I will use, but I would like to try the others. Also, are most people just using the default settings? There is so much you can change, it will take a lot of time to try everything.
Thanks
Alan
Hi Alan, good question. The main reason is that the gyro normally only needs to support rate mode on 3 axes, to fully support rate mode on 6 outputs would require a lot of additional internal code and processing. We don't have the memory for it. Another point is that we can't be sure of the rate someone will expect. For example if two pitch servos are used on a plane with one at a different location then the stick ranges will be different for each. However the elevator swings will be the same. So the gyro won't know this. (Note that on a related issue if someone uses their RC Tx to do mixing - for example to support flying wing, the inputs will be mixed elevator and aileron, in this case the gyro won't know this. (Better to do the mixing in the gyro)

Yes most people input only the 3 signals Pitch, Roll and Yaw and will let the gyro do the rest. Normally they pick default settings, then adjust to suit their style of flying and their aircraft. Normally all that needs tweaking are the gains and the stick sensitivities.

Mark
May 01, 2013, 09:19 PM
sportflyer

Uncommanded mode

Can someone describe what Uncommanded 3D mode is? Is it the same as Direct Rate 3D submode in the Eagle Tree Gyro?
May 02, 2013, 10:33 AM
Un commanded mode is a stick priority mode. IE the gyro will be in rate mode at neutral, and the gain will fade away as you move the stick off of center, a bell curve.
Last edited by GMPheli; May 02, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
May 02, 2013, 11:01 AM
sportflyer
So this means that if I am in 3D HH mode, there will be max gyro gain at stick neutral therefore a big help in hovers and reduced gyro gain if I move stick off center so dont have to "fight " the gyro in snap roll maneuvers where stick throws are at max ? Tks
May 02, 2013, 04:36 PM
You got it!
May 07, 2013, 09:05 PM

Using Pass Thru on Input 4

I am looking for some assistance on setting up the Blue Light gyro on my Habu 32. The plane is using a P-20 turbine and I am already running the gyro on the steering and elevator and it is working very well.

I would like to expand the use of this gyro to the roll axis and also use it on the rudder. I will explain the setup I am trying to use for both the roll axis and the yaw axis because I am finding it very difficult to get the setup I need.

1) I will start with the roll axis; I need the ailerons separated on two channels so that I can run crow on this plane. I know the gyro will allow this setup but the need for toggling a switch two or three times to make it work seems very impractical and will not work for my application since I am running flight conditions on the Futaba 14mz and I need the crow on ailerons to move with the flaps. The radio allows for speed control as well.

I am using two channels on the receiver and activated the pass through mode on input 4 and have it working for both the left and right ailerons on inputs 3 (left aileron) & 4 (right aileron) and outputs 3 (left aileron) & 4 (right aileron) but the problem I am experiencing is that when I move the ailerons to the extreme ends of the travel one aileron will have substantially more gain than the other aileron. I don't know how the plane will react to this in the air (or if this is normal). I understand that in the pass thru mode the gain is reduced as you increase the travel and move the ailerons closer to the end points but it seems like the gain should still remain constant on both ailerons. At full aileron deflection one aileron still has substantial gain when the wings are wiggled and the other aileron does not move at all. This does not seem correct?

2) Secondly, I would like to use both inputs/outputs on the yaw axis. I am already using input and output 5 for steering and it is working well. The other input/output 6 for yaw I would like to use for the rudder. The problem is that both outputs 5 & 6 have the same gain. I need to run medium gain on the steering for ground control(output 5) but need lower gain for the rudder (output 6) in the air. The problem seems to be that even though you select pass through mode this does not allow separate adjustment of gain for the steering and rudder. Is this possible?

Thanks, Gary Jefferson
Last edited by Gary Jefferson; May 07, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
May 07, 2013, 09:07 PM
Double Post
May 08, 2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
I am looking for some assistance on setting up the Blue Light gyro on my Habu 32. The plane is using a P-20 turbine and I am already running the gyro on the steering and elevator and it is working very well.

I would like to expand the use of this gyro to the roll axis and also use it on the rudder. I will explain the setup I am trying to use for both the roll axis and the yaw axis because I am finding it very difficult to get the setup I need.

1) I will start with the roll axis; I need the ailerons separated on two channels so that I can run crow on this plane. I know the gyro will allow this setup but the need for toggling a switch two or three times to make it work seems very impractical and will not work for my application since I am running flight conditions on the Futaba 14mz and I need the crow on ailerons to move with the flaps. The radio allows for speed control as well.

I am using two channels on the receiver and activated the pass through mode on input 4 and have it working for both the left and right ailerons on inputs 3 (left aileron) & 4 (right aileron) and outputs 3 (left aileron) & 4 (right aileron) but the problem I am experiencing is that when I move the ailerons to the extreme ends of the travel one aileron will have substantially more gain than the other aileron. I don't know how the plane will react to this in the air (or if this is normal). I understand that in the pass thru mode the gain is reduced as you increase the travel and move the ailerons closer to the end points but it seems like the gain should still remain constant on both ailerons. At full aileron deflection one aileron still has substantial gain when the wings are wiggled and the other aileron does not move at all. This does not seem correct?

2) Secondly, I would like to use both inputs/outputs on the yaw axis. I am already using input and output 5 for steering and it is working well. The other input/output 6 for yaw I would like to use for the rudder. The problem is that both outputs 5 & 6 have the same gain. I need to run medium gain on the steering for ground control(output 5) but need lower gain for the rudder (output 6) in the air. The problem seems to be that even though you select pass through mode this does not allow separate adjustment of gain for the steering and rudder. Is this possible?

Thanks, Gary Jefferson
We've just re-tested the pass through mode setting it for inputs 3 and 4 only and the gain is only applied maximally at the center stick positions, and zero at the extremes on both outputs as expected. Could it be something is not connected or programmed correctly? Can you send, or post your .txt set up file so I can take a look if anything looks odd? Regarding point 2, I'm afraid currently we don't support two gain options.
May 08, 2013, 08:00 AM

Pass thru mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro
We've just re-tested the pass through mode setting it for inputs 3 and 4 only and the gain is only applied maximally at the center stick positions, and zero at the extremes on both outputs as expected. Could it be something is not connected or programmed correctly? Can you send, or post your .txt set up file so I can take a look if anything looks odd? Regarding point 2, I'm afraid currently we don't support two gain options.
Thanks for the quick response. As far as connections: I have the gyro plugged into two separate channels on the receiver and (not configured as a 2 aileron wing setup) they are individually setup but can be reconfigured if needed. Those leads are plugged into inputs 3&4 on the gyro and I am using outputs 3&4 from the gyro to the servos. I also have s/w and f/w version 3.0 (I think) that I just downloaded.
I will copy and paste the .txt file so you can review.
May 08, 2013, 03:10 PM
sportflyer

Dont understand invert ch 4 roll function

My ailerons servos are setup in such a way that identical signals are needed to both servos to operate properly ( ie no signal inversion needed) which usually means a Y is needed. However since this is a biplane , I elected to Y the left ailerons and Y the right ailerons .I am using the gyro outputs 3 for left Ails & 4 for right Ails .

Now all 4 ailerons deflect the same direction because the normal gyro output function is Ch3 Roll , Ch 4 Negative Roll. I then inverted the output 4 in the gyro hoping to get CH3 Roll, Ch4 Roll but it does not .

What does inverting ch 4 output do ?

Any solutions besides sending ch 3 to all the aileron servos?

Found solution: I inverted Channel 4 at the wrong place page. Sorry for the confusion .
Last edited by sportflyer; May 08, 2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: found solution
May 08, 2013, 06:21 PM
sportflyer

Cant get HH to work properly

The rate mode works very well but not HH mode

In HH mode, the surfaces wander all over the place . It does not behave like in the youtube video

For example:
a) I hold the plane vertical , turn on Gyro function then activate HH function .
b) Now when I deflect the plane to the right ( yaw) and hold it there , the rudder will move to correct but will not hold the position , it drifts back to center like it was behaving in rate mode but slowly .
c) There seems to be no HH in pitch

BTW this is first time I fired it up on the bench . All trims on TX are centered electrically with all control surfaces the plane are mechanically centered.

Gyro lock in Normal mode , I adjust HH =.015 on all 3 axis. , AGC off on all axis

Please tell me what to check next ? Not sure what I did wrong.

Tks

Quick Reply