Mar 26, 2013, 06:30 AM
You would not need to hook up you receiver channels 2 and 4 to the gyro (although it would not hurt if they were physically hooked up). These could be used for gyro inputs (like gyro gain) such as you are showing on input 7 but of course the TX would need to be reprogrammed.

And you still are showing an "8" gyro input, there is no 8.
Last edited by mr_matt_II; Mar 26, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2013, 08:49 AM
Hi Guys,
so I got mine last week and tried it, looks promising, just one note I am not sure if any of you experienced it, on take off the rudder over correct and the plane will turn right if I didn't take off fast, same after I land the plane will go in circle until it stops.
Thanks
Mar 27, 2013, 10:30 AM
sportflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_matt_II
You would not need to hook up you receiver channels 2 and 4 to the gyro (although it would not hurt if they were physically hooked up). These could be used for gyro inputs (like gyro gain) such as you are showing on input 7 but of course the TX would need to be reprogrammed.

And you still are showing an "8" gyro input, there is no 8.
Sorry it should be input 6 :

ie Ch8 // 6 , -- //Heading hold

I don't understand how to activate the HH function. The manual item 2.7.28 on pg 38 shows I Adjust only for the Yaw axis value .010, nothing on the Roll or Pitch axis Should I not input some value for Roll and Pitch as well ? What do these values mean?

Tks
Mar 27, 2013, 11:26 AM
Sounds like the yaw correction is operating backwards. Make sure the gyro is correcting in the right direction. Push the nose to the right and the rudder should try to steer to the left.
Mar 27, 2013, 11:49 AM
I did verify all servo counter reacting for any motion, otherwise I would crash during my flights, do I need to set it for some modes, I am using it on default normal mode.
Thanks
Mar 28, 2013, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot006
Hi Guys,
so I got mine last week and tried it, looks promising, just one note I am not sure if any of you experienced it, on take off the rudder over correct and the plane will turn right if I didn't take off fast, same after I land the plane will go in circle until it stops.
Thanks
It could be that it's registering a slight bias to the right. First thing to make sure of is that you have the gyro completely stationary while it powers up. (Orientation doesn't matter - just no movement). To check this point, when everything is powered up plug into the USB/PC and check on the tools tab page. Press test and make sure you see no green on the lower 3 bars when all sticks in central positions.

Mark
Latest blog entry: BL-3G Independent review
Mar 28, 2013, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1010c
I have the same problem as this post stated.

"I received my BL-3G a few days ago and Iím trying to set it up on a delta wing. Since mixing is done through the gyro does that mean I should not mix via my transmitter? I have tried both combinations without good results. Either I have correct stick control and improper gyro control. Roll axis gyro causes elevons to raise pitch and pitch gyro causes roll correction. I can get x and y gyros to function properly but then stick is reversed. I tried alot of combinations so I'm learning alot and very impressed with this flight controller. I know its my inexperience thats at fault, so any advice would be appreciated."

I have version 2.5 if I get the transmitter sticks working right then the Gyro does not function properly if the Gyro functions properly than the sticks are backward. Part of the answer to the previous post was to turn the pots in the opposite directions I am not sure what this means please elaborate.

The only way I can get the sticks to work properly and the Gyro is to turn the Gyro upside down and mount the arrow towards the left wing. I have been working with this for a couple of days and would appreciate any help or advice that you have.
A) No need to mix anything in the transmitter
B) Orientation
2) Please ensure you have your Rx pitch control coming into the gyro input1 and roll into input3. Then one servo output (lets say the right one as you stand behind your wing on output3, and the left one on output4). Then please hook up your PC with the config s/w and follow these instructions:
1) On the Advanced1 tab page please press the start button on top left. As you move your pitch and roll levers please ensure the orange movement bars move the same way as your sticks. If not then you can either invert on your RC Tx with the switches or menu options (or if you canít then invert from the basic page tab). Then you can press cancel on the Advanced1 tab page when done
2) Go to the Quick Start tab page and select the small flying wing option
3) Go to the Basic page tab and invert output3 from the subtrim and Output Invert section
4) Press the Send button on bottom right of the basic tab page and wait for all parameters to be sent
5) Now you can check your wing to see if everything is ok

Iím not sure the orientation of your servos, but to accommodate any orientations you can use the basic page tab invert options in conjunction with the invert option on the mid right of the mixing tab page to fine tune.
If you still have problems please post your config file (can save via the tools menu) and I'll take a look.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer
Sorry it should be input 6 :

ie Ch8 // 6 , -- //Heading hold

I don't understand how to activate the HH function. The manual item 2.7.28 on pg 38 shows I Adjust only for the Yaw axis value .010, nothing on the Roll or Pitch axis Should I not input some value for Roll and Pitch as well ? What do these values mean?

Tks
The way the HH works is that the gyro will add up all the small disturbances and use this to keep track of which way the aircraft is heading and then correct for it. However due to noise on the gyro it is not a very accurate system and so we don't really recommend using it. This video shows it in operation on the yaw:
you tube HH vid
You can set it on pitch roll or yaw independently. Normally only used on the rudder (yaw), by adding a small value from the pull down menu on the advanced2 tab page.
Mar 29, 2013, 12:17 AM
Sneak peek: We will issue v 3.0 of the BL-3GRC gyro firmware and PC set up s/w next month. The additional features we're adding are:
1) Faster internal processing (we're more than doubling the speed). This mainly for multi-copter. We will then be able to support ESC's and fast digital servos up to 2.1ms operation. (Aircraft are normally 10 or 15ms). But this may be interesting for even better performance for fast jets.
2) Support for tri-copters
3) New tab page for range adjustments. For large planes with two servos per control surface pilots will then be able to set different control range movement for each of the secondary outputs. See here:
Name: BL-3GRC_Range.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 88.0 KB
Description: BL-3GRC Gyro range adjust tab
4) We will allow quick in the field (ie no need for PC connection) gyro operation reversal. It will work something like this: If all pots are turned to 0 (full left) prior to power up then the gyro will go into a special mode. For the pots that are then turned to center no change, for pots turned to max the function will be reversed. After normal gyro boot up the pots then need to be set to whatever gain setting is required exactly the same as previously.

Mark
Mar 29, 2013, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer
Yes, I know the BL3G has only seven inputs so I have to Y the left ailerons and Y the right ailerons .

Sorry it seems like the column data wont line up with the column headings if I use spaces so I have made a new table

The reformatted Lower Assignment table , I use " // " between column data

Rcvr Ch // BL3G In ,Out // Servo

Ch1 // 3 , 3 // Top and Bottom Wing Left Ail servos coupled with Y adapter
Ch2 // 4, 4 // Top And Bottom Wing Right Ail servos coupled with Y adapter
Ch3 // -- -- // Throttle ( to Esc , not connected to BL3G)
Ch4 // 5 , 5 // Rudder
Ch5 // 1 , 1 // Left Elev
Ch6 // 2 , 2 // Right Elev
Ch7 // 7 , -- // Gyro On /Off
Ch8 // 8 , -- // Heading Hold

I hope this is clearer .

Tks
I would suggest the following:
Rc Ch1 (Roll) // 3, 3 // Top And Bottom Wing Left Ail coupled via Y
n/c // - ,4 // Top And Bottom Wing Right Ail coupled via Y
Rx Ch3 --- ---- Throttle ( ESC)
Rx Ch4 (Yaw) // 5 ,5 // Rudder
Rx Ch5 (Pitch) //1 ,1 // Left Elev
n/c // -, 2 // Right Elev
Rx Ch7 (Prog) // 7 ,-- // Gyro On /Off
Rx Ch8 // - ,-- // n/c

n/c is no connect, and - is no input
Mar 29, 2013, 01:11 AM
Custom quad builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro
Sneak peek: We will issue v 3.0 of the BL-3GRC gyro firmware and PC set up s/w next month. The additional features we're adding are:
1) Faster internal processing (we're more than doubling the speed). This mainly for multi-copter. We will then be able to support ESC's and fast digital servos up to 2.1ms operation. (Aircraft are normally 10 or 15ms). But this may be interesting for even better performance for fast jets.
2) Support for tri-copters
3) New tab page for range adjustments. For large planes with two servos per control surface pilots will then be able to set different control range movement for each of the secondary outputs. See here:
Attachment 5654063
4) We will allow quick in the field (ie no need for PC connection) gyro operation reversal. It will work something like this: If all pots are turned to 0 (full left) prior to power up then the gyro will go into a special mode. For the pots that are then turned to center no change, for pots turned to max the function will be reversed. After normal gyro boot up the pots then need to be set to whatever gain setting is required exactly the same as previously.

Mark
I have been waiting on this for sometime now
Mar 29, 2013, 09:21 AM
sportflyer
Quote:
I would suggest the following:
Rc Ch1 (Roll) // 3, 3 // Top And Bottom Wing Left Ail coupled via Y
n/c // - ,4 // Top And Bottom Wing Right Ail coupled via Y
Rx Ch3 --- ---- Throttle ( ESC)
Rx Ch4 (Yaw) // 5 ,5 // Rudder
Rx Ch5 (Pitch) //1 ,1 // Left Elev
n/c // -, 2 // Right Elev
Rx Ch7 (Prog) // 7 ,-- // Gyro On /Off
Rx Ch8 // - ,-- // n/c

n/c is no connect, and - is no input
I understand you are suggesting that I use the internal Flaperon functions for my Ailerons. This would reduce the number of connections from my receiver. Can I set Ail Diff in the 3-BLGRC itself?

How do I set a control so I can turn on and off the HH in 3 axis ? I was thinking of using RX Ch 8 into Ch 6 for this function . I would set Prof 2 Tab to activate the I Adjust (for Ch 6) and input .01 value for Roll , pitch and yaw ?

Tks
Mar 29, 2013, 10:46 AM

Motor Safety Switch

On another thread someone wanted a way to ensure that the motor would not power up while adjusting radio settings, etc. The original poster asked this because he accidentally reversed the throttle channel in the transmitter.

It's best to take the prop off, of course.

One reader from Australia (his image below) suggested connecting a servo Y-splitter coming from the ESC. One end goes to the receiver (or BL-3G) to power it.

On the other end of the Y disconnect the RED wire, and connect the signal and ground wires to a switch mounted on the side of the plane.

This would allow the radio receiver (and BL-3G) to still be powered up, but no signal could go to the motor, thus preventing any accidents.

Question: Would grounding the signal wire on the ESC (throttle) circuit damage the BL-3G in any way?

Ted

Name: ESC splitter.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 3.7 KB
Description: Y-splitter; ESC to Rx and On-Off Switch
Mar 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
It could be that it's registering a slight bias to the right. First thing to make sure of is that you have the gyro completely stationary while it powers up. (Orientation doesn't matter - just no movement). To check this point, when everything is powered up plug into the USB/PC and check on the tools tab page. Press test and make sure you see no green on the lower 3 bars when all sticks in central positions.

Mark
I checked that screen, my TX is Futaba 7C, looks fine, could be my wheel a little bit off from the rudder? if so should be corrected be the gyro to keep it straight instead of overshooting. and now I did also RC TX input matching. I will try it tomorrow.
Thanks.
Mar 31, 2013, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted M
On another thread someone wanted a way to ensure that the motor would not power up while adjusting radio settings, etc. The original poster asked this because he accidentally reversed the throttle channel in the transmitter.

It's best to take the prop off, of course.

One reader from Australia (his image below) suggested connecting a servo Y-splitter coming from the ESC. One end goes to the receiver (or BL-3G) to power it.

On the other end of the Y disconnect the RED wire, and connect the signal and ground wires to a switch mounted on the side of the plane.

This would allow the radio receiver (and BL-3G) to still be powered up, but no signal could go to the motor, thus preventing any accidents.

Question: Would grounding the signal wire on the ESC (throttle) circuit damage the BL-3G in any way?

Ted

Attachment 5654805
The BL-3GRC has a safety lock feature already. So just input throttle onto one of the inputs and it can be programmed to output on output channel6. See user manual section 2.2.6.1

Mark

Quick Reply