Blue Light Technologies Flight Stabilizer BL-3G 2D 3D Quad - Page 17 - RC Groups
Feb 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
why does the program at tab Upgrade not show the firmware version?
what does this message mean?, where to click
current firmware version : click when connected

i dont need an answer , i found it, it is version 2.5 i had to click on : click when connected
Last edited by jaccies; Feb 15, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManPro
Hi Ari, this is already in place (via USB). You can see it here on the professional 1 page..
here
Regarding wi-fi, the BL-3GRC has a UART interface too, so a builder could connect a commercially available RF communications unit and then via a whole host of commands (already in place) access and modify many parameters of the gyro remotely.
a commercially available RF communications ??, where to get
host of commands?? is there documentation about it?
Feb 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccies
a commercially available RF communications ??, where to get
host of commands?? is there documentation about it?
Hi Jaccies, The commands are detailed in the user manual here.
page 57.

There are lots of the transceiver modules around one such example is the zigbee here.
Note that to connect to the PC via UART you will need a UART to RS232 interface pcb. We can supply these if necessary but these should also be commonly available.If there is demand maybe we can put a small kit together to realize this.

Mark
Last edited by IceManPro; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Feb 16, 2013, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Hi Jaccies, The commands are detailed in the user manual here.
page 57.

There are lots of the transceiver modules around one such example is the zigbee here.
Note that to connect to the PC via UART you will need a UART to RS232 interface pcb. We can supply these if necessary but these should also be commonly available.If there is demand maybe we can put a small kit together to realize this.

Mark
thanks, but i was thinking about what Finncat said : Then all the settings could be done via USB or otherwise remotely (Bluetooth -> cell phone app!? )

i am using a bluetooth card connected to a mulicopter board and i have an android app to program the settings of the board
see thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1542710
Mar 17, 2013, 11:21 AM

New user, Habu 2

Hello,

I picked up one of these last week from Amazon. My impressions:

Order process was smooth, assumed you used Amazon FBA

Packing was perfect, and a very good "out of box" experience.

I like the design, the unit is square and smooth, makes installation easy with many options.

I put in in a Habu 2, otherwise stock with retracts. I am using a Futaba 617, 7 channel. Transmitter is a 12Z.

I was using all 7 channel but switched the flaps to a single channel to free up a gyro control channel.

I used the quick start guide (fantastic touch). I got all of the latest software from the website, again, a very smooth process with Windows 7. I proceeded with the quick set up option.

I mounted the unit upright, with the big arrow pointing to the nose. I needed to reverse the pitch and yaw gyros, the roll was fine.

First flights, the roll had a rather fast oscillation about about 1/2 throttle, I dialed down the roll with the screwdriver, it was better. Later, I set the range setting for roll to low from medium, and that let me dial it in pretty close.

I must say, the model is almost transformed. I cant get over how much smoother it flies. On landing it is mesmerizing, I have to watch the throttle setting so I don't tip stall it, all of the warnings you get when flying too slow are gone. Smooth right to the stall. Just brilliant.

My only issue is roll response is sluggish even at full stick deflection, so I want to know the easiest way to lower the gain with increasing stick throw. I have read this thread and seen something about "uncommanded" mode or something, but that does not sound like what I want. I can do it in the TX with a remote gain setting mixed to roll on the control channel but that seems silly with this powerful airborne computer. So what is the best way to fix this?

Some notes (nothing serious but I figure you guys are looking for feedback);

It appears the unit powers on as soon as the USB is connected, so if you have a substantial on board installation you could overpower the USB port if you forget to energize onboard power before plugging in the USB. Not sure if that could damage your computer or not, but I doubt it.

Not sure I would put the throttle input enabled on the fixed wing quick start option, I don't know how many people would hook up a throttle to a gyro in a fixed wing, I would never do that. THis made me search the menus/manual for the option to turn this mode off in the menus, not terribly easy to find it.

When you plug in and you want to make an adjustment to a gyro setting, you have to be careful that you don't inadvertently overwrite the gyro with default data. I assume there is some sort of readback facility that will let you load the current gyro settings back into the PC before modifying them.It should be easier to find or flag you that you have not done it.

One time I changed something simple and reprogrammed the gyros to reverse, caught it on the runway. My fault for not double checking so it is not a criticism of the unit, but rather a note about possible improvements for the future, more idiot proof if you will.

Overall I give it 4.5 of 5 stars. And a special compliment to whoever wrote the manual, I know what a huge job it is to come up with a good UI and a good manual and you guys have done a stellar job. Habu has never flown better.
Mar 17, 2013, 12:19 PM
PS have you guys thought about adding a speed sensing capability. I rigged up one using a motorola pressure sensor years ago, I might try to dig it out.
Mar 18, 2013, 09:38 PM
Hi mr_matt, Thanks very much for your detailed report. And we are always looking for feedback. Understand your points, and will consider how to improve.

To increase the roll movement but not changing the gain you need to change the sensitivity setting. If you see the Prof1 tab (tabs visible here for those who don't have a unit). You can increase the sensitivity (which is set to 1.10 by default) individually for each axis. I suggest you move it to 1.3 or 1.4 and see how it goes. Note that if you then want to have higher gain during small stick movements (say during landing), but keep lowish gain during larger stick movements you could also try to set PropLock gyro mode from the Prof2 tab page, with the invert option checked. More details in section 2.9.6.3 of the advanced user manual.

We will have an input for speed control on our next product the ICE-MAN Pro. This is a 10 axis system (Gyro, Acc, Mag, Bar). We'll have airspeed and GPS inputs (as well as 2 axis camera gimbal outputs)

Mark
Latest blog entry: BL-3G Independent review
Mar 20, 2013, 12:54 AM
... one more thing, about the USB, yes it is possible to inadvertently plug the gyro into the PC while no power yet connected to the airplane / servos etc. During initial USB connection the PC USB should limit current to 150mA. There should certainly be no issues at the PC. At the Gyro side we have a diode protection with forward current of around 200mA. But drawing high current for a prolonged period of time can damage this protection. Hence it is recommended that if you do inadvertently plug in the USB with high current servos etc (that have not yet got their own power supply) you quickly either unplug or apply the servo power to avoid possible damage. Note that if you are unlucky enough to have blown your gyro diode protection all is not lost. It would just mean that you can't power the gyro from the PC anymore. The Gyro will then take power from the other side, ie from anything else such as the RC Rx connected to it, and all will be fine, including with USB communication etc.

Mark
Latest blog entry: BL-3G Independent review
Mar 21, 2013, 10:07 AM
AMA 869451 / FAA 13675
"We will have an input for speed control on our next product the ICE-MAN Pro. This is a 10 axis system (Gyro, Acc, Mag, Bar).
We'll have airspeed and GPS inputs (as well as 2 axis camera gimbal outputs)"

Mark

See, I have been watching and waiting for info on when your ICE MAN PRO
will become available! Nice! It will be great to have your much awaited
gimbal control as an added feature to your Pro. I look forward to your
announcement that the Pro is ready for purchase.
Mar 22, 2013, 12:31 PM

Delta wing

I have the same problem as this post stated.

"I received my BL-3G a few days ago and Iím trying to set it up on a delta wing. Since mixing is done through the gyro does that mean I should not mix via my transmitter? I have tried both combinations without good results. Either I have correct stick control and improper gyro control. Roll axis gyro causes elevons to raise pitch and pitch gyro causes roll correction. I can get x and y gyros to function properly but then stick is reversed. I tried alot of combinations so I'm learning alot and very impressed with this flight controller. I know its my inexperience thats at fault, so any advice would be appreciated."

I have version 2.5 if I get the transmitter sticks working right then the Gyro does not function properly if the Gyro functions properly than the sticks are backward. Part of the answer to the previous post was to turn the pots in the opposite directions I am not sure what this means please elaborate.

The only way I can get the sticks to work properly and the Gyro is to turn the Gyro upside down and mount the arrow towards the left wing. I have been working with this for a couple of days and would appreciate any help or advice that you have.
Mar 25, 2013, 01:44 AM
Quote:

To increase the roll movement but not changing the gain you need to change the sensitivity setting. If you see the Prof1 tab (tabs visible here for those who don't have a unit). You can increase the sensitivity (which is set to 1.10 by default) individually for each axis. I suggest you move it to 1.3 or 1.4 and see how it goes. Note that if you then want to have higher gain during small stick movements (say during landing), but keep lowish gain during larger stick movements you could also try to set PropLock gyro mode from the Prof2 tab page, with the invert option checked. More details in section 2.9.6.3 of the advanced user manual.
Hi Mark,

I already had PropLock mode set on roll. I did change roll sensitivity up to 1.4 and it made a huge improvement. You guys are REALLY onto something here. Great product. I predict within a year or 2 everyone will have something like this IF they can find someone to help them tune it!

Will the new Pro unit have all of the same features with airspeed added? How many parameters can be set to adjust with airspeed?

Ordering another unit ASAP.

Matt
Mar 25, 2013, 01:51 AM
BTW is there a more active forum to discuss this product with other users?

Thanks

Matt
Mar 25, 2013, 01:53 PM
sportflyer

channel assignments help

Currently I have a Biplane that has the following channel assignments. I am using a MPX EVO 9 TX.

Ch1 Top Wing L Ail
Ch2 Top Wing R Ail
Ch3 Throttle
Ch4 Rudder
Ch5 Elev L
Ch6 Elev R
Ch7 Bottom Wing L Ail
Ch8 Bottom Wing R Ail

I would like to install the BL3G module and need suggestions to channel assignments . I think the following would work :

Rcvr BL3G Servo
In Out

Ch1 3 3 Top And Bottom Wing Left Ail ( Y )
Ch2 4 4 Top And Bottom Wing Right Ail ( Y)
Ch3 --- ---- Throttle ( ESC)
Ch4 5 5 Rudder
Ch5 1 1 Left Elev
Ch6 2 2 Right Elev
Ch 7 7 Gyro On /Off
Ch8 8 Heading Hold

Do you guys think the above assignments will work ? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Mar 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
Just a quick note, the BL-3G only has 7 inputs.

Pitch roll and yaw come in on 1, 3 and 5 respectively. It sort of looks like you have that.

Sorry I can't read your lower table due to the weird formatting..
Mar 25, 2013, 11:19 PM
sportflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_matt_II
Just a quick note, the BL-3G only has 7 inputs.

Pitch roll and yaw come in on 1, 3 and 5 respectively. It sort of looks like you have that.

Sorry I can't read your lower table due to the weird formatting..

Yes, I know the BL3G has only seven inputs so I have to Y the left ailerons and Y the right ailerons .

Sorry it seems like the column data wont line up with the column headings if I use spaces so I have made a new table

The reformatted Lower Assignment table , I use " // " between column data

Rcvr Ch // BL3G In ,Out // Servo

Ch1 // 3 , 3 // Top and Bottom Wing Left Ail servos coupled with Y adapter
Ch2 // 4, 4 // Top And Bottom Wing Right Ail servos coupled with Y adapter
Ch3 // -- -- // Throttle ( to Esc , not connected to BL3G)
Ch4 // 5 , 5 // Rudder
Ch5 // 1 , 1 // Left Elev
Ch6 // 2 , 2 // Right Elev
Ch7 // 7 , -- // Gyro On /Off
Ch8 // 8 , -- // Heading Hold

I hope this is clearer .

Tks