Aug 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
SemperFi!
Thread OP
Question

How to record using Fatshark Dominators and 5.8ghz FPV

Ok guys/gals, another noob FPV question.

It's been kinda mind boggling me the past couple of days but I want to know what I will need to record video from what my OSD is putting up on screen. I really don't want to use a key chain cam as I'm wanting the complete experience recorded including the voice my Eagle Tree will output.

Setup includes Immersion 5.8 ghz tx, Fat Shark Doms 5.8ghz module, and ET OSD Pro with Guardian and GPS.

I don't have the goggles yet so I'm not sure if they have a audio/video out lines? If so, I could use my computer to record. But then again, do I really want to leave my expensive MacBook outside in the elements? Not really.. Any ideas on a recording method? Thanks for the help yet again ladies and gents!

Semper Fi,
Brian
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
According to the spec sheet here, the Dominators have an AV in/out port. So if you're using the built-in receiver, you should be able to use this to connect an external recording device of some kind.

You can buy pocket DVRs that will record an AV stream to SD card - this would appear to be the most suitable arrangement for your rather portable setup. Something like this should be suitable.

<edit: found a great thread that can walk you through various types of recorder in FPV use>
Last edited by klaw81; Aug 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Aug 30, 2012, 04:58 AM
SemperFi!
Thread OP
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaw81
According to the spec sheet here, the Dominators have an AV in/out port. So if you're using the built-in receiver, you should be able to use this to connect an external recording device of some kind.

You can buy pocket DVRs that will record an AV stream to SD card - this would appear to be the most suitable arrangement for your rather portable setup. Something like this should be suitable.

<edit: found a great thread that can walk you through various types of recorder in FPV use>
Aug 31, 2012, 10:39 PM
SemperFi!
Thread OP
Has anyone used or heard of this dvr?? It looks similar to EasyCap but maybe better quality..

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-C...s=computer+dvr
Sep 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82
Has anyone used or heard of this dvr?? It looks similar to EasyCap but maybe better quality..
It had better be good, at that price. More than 3 times the price of EasyCap! Also it's Mac-only, I assume you're aware of that.
Sep 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
SemperFi!
Thread OP
Quote:
It had better be good, at that price. More than 3 times the price of EasyCap! Also it's Mac-only, I assume you're aware of that.
Yes! I'm running a MacBook Pro. If you search on YouTube "how to record FPV" there's a guy who shows his setup with an EasyCap. Very simple setup and his videos are of good quality. What are you using might I ask?
Sep 02, 2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
What are you using might I ask?
At present - nothing. I have plans afoot for a stand-alone DVR recording to an SD card, but my progress is very limited since I'm working away from home at the moment. In the meantime, I'm spending a lot of time on research.
Sep 03, 2012, 11:36 PM
Superior creation science
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-C...s=computer+dvr
OK, here's another one that I'm looking at. I have a 9" screen ASUS XP laptop which I can use and I'm looking for something that just captures my OSD video through a USB port and records it onto the PC. It seems like it should be relatively inexpensive and simple and then you just need to have it recorded to some kind of video file that can be played back. I haven't bought anything yet, just looking for ideas. So anyway here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500-.../ref=pd_cp_e_3
Sep 04, 2012, 12:31 AM
Or this: EasyCap link
Sep 04, 2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Or this: EasyCap link
I checked out that link. The Amazon reviews have more 1 star than 5 star!

Apparently there are two different things:
EzCAP
and
EasyCap

EasyCap is a cheap Chinese knockoff with a lot of bad reviews.

EzCAP is the original. According to their website http://www.ezcap.tv/index.html they originally did call themselves Easycap but because of the Chinese fakes changed their name to the trademarked "EzCAP".
Amazon has 2 EzCAP models, the 116 and the 170. The ezcap website only lists the 116 as their product so I don't know what the 170 is. I sent an email to ezcap asking about it so I'm waiting for a reply.
http://www.amazon.com/Ezcap116-Camco...keywords=EZCap

The genuine ezcap also has some bad reviews but I think they're mostly people trying to convert VHS to digital. No one was just taking lo-res video and trying to capture it to their computer like an FPV'er would be doing. So I might give this a shot.
Sep 04, 2012, 10:17 PM
I think you might be looking for this
Sep 04, 2012, 10:35 PM
SemperFi!
Thread OP
Quote:
Yeah I saw that to! However I'm running Mac and not sure if it's compatible yet. I do know however that the EasyCap DC-60 has free software to capture video. If your running OS Lion 10.5 whatever then you may experience issues with the software from what I've read. So they have the EasyCap DC-60+ but Lion operators should have to pay an additional $30 for a program called Videoglide.

More info on the counterft EzCap here: http://forum.easycap.co.uk/index.php?topic=442.0

Free EasyCap software viewer here:http://bentrask.com/easycap/
Sep 05, 2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Ok, here's the reply I got from ezcap.tv about what the ezcap170 is:
"Hello Sir,
We are not the manufacturer. Forward Video of china are.
We purchase in bulk and have the unit branded to our company name "EZCAP.TV". We enclose different instructions, drivers and also an invitation to join our forum.

We refuse to stock the 170 as it is an inferior model. We are asked many times what is the difference between the EzCAP116 and the EzCAP170 ?

The EzCAP170 is the little brother of the 116. It is a cheap OEM version. The main difference is an inferior chipset and it comes with nickel coated connectors. The EzCAP116 comes with 24K gold connectors. Gold is the best signal conductor you can get. Meaning the best video image transfer quality of whatever you want to capture to your pc. If you are happy to compromise video quality over price, the 170 is the way to go, but make sure you pay a considerably cheaper price.
"

So from what they're saying, both the 116 and the 170 are made in China by the same people. The 170 is a lower quality unit, the 116 is better and also has drivers packaged by ezcap.tv. The EasyCap DC 60 thing is an older version of the EzCAP. The 116 is listed as "ezcap116 DC60+ (Supersedes Easycap DC60+)" I guess you just have to find out which things actually work well. For my money, I don't care if it's a $7 item or a $32 item, I just want to get something that works without having to search for drivers for hours or learn another piece of difficult software.
Last edited by dougclind; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Sep 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
SemperFi!
Thread OP
thanks for that info! So now my question is, best EzCap for a mac? Software? I know VideoGlide is an external software which works with EzCap, but now I'm not sure which one to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougclind
Ok, here's the reply I got from ezcap.tv about what the ezcap170 is:
"Hello Sir,
We are not the manufacturer. Forward Video of china are.
We purchase in bulk and have the unit branded to our company name "EZCAP.TV". We enclose different instructions, drivers and also an invitation to join our forum.

We refuse to stock the 170 as it is an inferior model. We are asked many times what is the difference between the EzCAP116 and the EzCAP170 ?

The EzCAP170 is the little brother of the 116. It is a cheap OEM version. The main difference is an inferior chipset and it comes with nickel coated connectors. The EzCAP116 comes with 24K gold connectors. Gold is the best signal conductor you can get. Meaning the best video image transfer quality of whatever you want to capture to your pc. If you are happy to compromise video quality over price, the 170 is the way to go, but make sure you pay a considerably cheaper price.
"

So from what they're saying, both the 116 and the 170 are made in China by the same people. The 170 is a lower quality unit, the 116 is better and also has drivers packaged by ezcap.tv. The EasyCap DC 60 thing is a Chinese knockoff of the (also) Chinese EzCAP. Sounds like a form of corporate in cest! I guess you just have to find out which things actually work well. For my money, I don't care if it's a $9 item or a $32 item, I just want to get something that works without having to search for drivers for hours or learn another piece of difficult software.
Sep 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
BriGuy,
I don't have a Mac, just a 9" xp laptop, but I don't see the Mac listed for the ezcap.

Quick Reply