Aug 29, 2012, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

2.4Ghz in Southampton tug

Hi everyone,I just purchased a Southampton tug from a local electronics store(NCIX) as a open box unit,was returned to store because battery was faulty so got a good deal on it with stock radio.I am looking to add some additional functions lights,winch,motor control etc to it over the winter and was hoping to use my DX7 as a radio.I have receivers in small planes and also in cars but am unsure about the use in boats.The receivers short antennas are exposed on the items I have but in the boat it will be buried in the hull of the boat,with a regular 75mhz receiver I would have run the antenna outside the superstructure but with the 2.4Ghz antennas being so short will this be ok for use in the tug???
I do have a HK orange receiver and can get a satellite hook up for it if needed.

Thanks James
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2012, 10:44 PM
Valiant Poultry
I am using 2.4ghz in my new Southampton tug. I use FlySky radios and receivers.

What I did was take what tiny bit of antenna the 2.4ghz receiver DOES have and just put it up through the hole in the tug that's designed for the standard 75mhz antenna. It only comes out about 3-4 inches, but it's enough to get it outside of the hull and into the cabin of the boat.

I had zero issues with glitching or range while using this setup for two outings totaling about 1.5 hours of running.

I also use this same receiver and radio setup on my Bristol Bay fishing boat, but on that the receiver is completely buried in the hull, and I haven't noticed any range or glitching with that, either, and I've used it quite a bit.
Aug 30, 2012, 04:38 PM
JimmyB Got a Tactic 6 channel in mine with operating winch and twin throttles, No Problems to complain about. Made a shelf so the receiver was above all the other stuff and it seems to receive signal just fine. Remember that it will penetrate 1/4" inch and the boat is plastic so radio does not see it.
Aug 30, 2012, 08:07 PM
I always make sure my 2.4 gig recievers are mounted in the hull above the waterline. Have had no problems.
Aug 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
I use a DX7 and Orange rx with mine also. Works fine with antenna under the hatch. These boats are plastic which helps.
Aug 31, 2012, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fryant
I always make sure my 2.4 gig recievers are mounted in the hull above the waterline. Have had no problems.
Most important for 2.4GHz, keep the antenna above the waterline.
Aug 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
no such thing as to many boats
I have a DX7 use it in all my boat with no problem at all
Sep 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
This is good to hear,thanks everyone for the replies and tips,

James...
Sep 01, 2012, 03:17 PM

That will work just fine......

I only use 2.4 gig equip. in all my boats. No problems at all. Just make sure that the receiver is ABOVE the waterline. Next you need a good esc.....like a mtroniks viper . I use a viper 25 and love the great performance and handling that it has at slow speeds. Remember that tugs are not race boats and the need power and torque for push and pulling barges and rescue. Next add a nice 6 volt battery for long running time . Don`t forget to add a fuse , smaller in anps than your esc between the battery and your esc,for safety. This will give you a good start. have fun 7 good luck

Quick Reply