New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by lttakas

20$ U-2 foam glider made in rc air plane

I bough a huge 74 inch glider.Started to looking around and thought to my selph that this thing can be converted so thats what i did.Still in construction but will post pic ASAP
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by Azygos
Neat. I have done a foam glider conversion myself.

Specs?

What motor/battery/prop are you using, as well?

Chris
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:45 AM
Find More Posts by kansascloud
Checking the wind

Me too!

I started working up one also. Mine has a balsa fuse but I'm using a foam wing from a cheap toy glider. I've cut it down to 38". Power will be an IPS A. Stay tuned for details and photos.

Mike
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:49 AM
Sorry to "take over your thread" but here are some pictures of my glider conversion:

The motor is an EDP 100.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:53 AM
Here is the oversized rudder.

The rudder used to be pull-pull so I had to have it this big to get any kind of reaction.

Now the rudder is push-pull (normal pushrod) and the elevator is pull-pull.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:57 AM
The polyhedral was self-added. I just cut a "V" into the foam, bent it up, added some glue, let it cure overnight, and spackled it. Before this was added (when it had a flat wing) it couldn't fly outdoors. Any little breath of wind would start it into a turn and it would slide right into the ground. Now it is soooo slow and is the most stable plane I have owned. I fly it in my backyard.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 01:57 AM
Find More Posts by AMTJIM
"Bible Thumper"
There are several threads on the 74 inch lanier U-2 and Condor in the foamies section, it's hard to beat for 20.00. If you cut the W/S down and remove the dihedral, also shorten the tail end of the fuse, it flies at decent speed with a 400 series GWS gear drive and KAN 1300 or 1050. Also the fuse is molded with a high angle of attack, leveling that out helps alot, it rolls and loops very well. The 2 bad weak spots are at the nose of the fuse and right behind the trailing edge of the wing.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters
$20???? I did this one for $3.84....

Dave...
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:22 AM
yeah i know that 20$ is alot but that air plane can take ALOT of weight si it means i can put lots of batts in it ans fly for a long time.(-:
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:41 AM
oh yeah and another thing all the metal tape m i alowed to do that can i have problems with it because there is so much foil on it could i get in trouble by air space????????????????
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by AMTJIM
"Bible Thumper"
Here's my last one, it had a few initial problems, but flew very well after a little more tweaking.