This thread is privately moderated by valiantGLX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Contest

Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge

Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge

Compete in micro flying video challenges for bragging rights and fun!!!

If you have arrived at this page via my BLOG, please click HERE to access the entire entry
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Technomancer
Thread OP
The Old

This thread is a continuation of the Un-Official Micro-Flyers Video Challenge thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1346831

The New

As our hobby developes and grows so should the categories of our micro flyer video challenges. Therefore I have created this thread to cater for all of the micro flying audience by including 4 new challenge categories.

All of the challenge categories are as follows:
  • Helis, open to any micro heli (IN BLUE)
  • Quads (IN GREEN)
  • Planes (IN RED)
  • FPV, also including the use of "key chain cams" and other micro recording devices (IN PURPLE)

The Newest

Upon request I have included a freestyle section where you can fly whatever you have however you want. Why? To show off, why else Additionally to sweeten the deal freestyle videos get rewarded with 1 Hall of Fame point.

The Rules

Freestyle: There are no rules! OK, there is one rule Only newly created videos with a plug to this thread are eligible for a Hall of Fame point.[/SIZE]

Challenges: The rules are simple; complete a challenge and post the video evidence, gain approval, then create a new challenge for others to compete in, posting it in the corresponding colour with size 5 font.

In order to become a winner of a challenge one of the following must take place:
  • The creator of the challenge declares you the winner.
  • At least 2 other members vote that you win
  • No one objects to your video after a 48 hour period

When creating a new challenge you should choose a fun concise name for the challenge aswell as detailing what needs to be done in order to win, while also adding the challenge category. For example; Quads 3D: Double D's: Do a double diagonal flip with your quad

If a particular challenge goes unanswered for over 1 week the person who created the challenge can complete it themselves and if it goes unanswered for 2 weeks, anybody can elect to create a new challenge in that field.

.... And what about the Hall of Fame you may ask? Well, as an added incentive challenge winners get 5 Hall of Fame points

Also videos should be created for the individual challenges, so no old footage or previously posted challenge videos can be used. Plus the quality of the video must be good enough to determine what is going on.

Above all else have fun, but never jeopradise the safety of yourself and/or others.
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 24, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Aug 27, 2012, 03:56 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
The Hall of Fame:

Last updated: 24th of October 2012

I will contintually update this section as we progress through the challenges to keep a tab on the main contributors and to ultimately determine the top 10 winners in each category.

Heli, open to any micro heli:

1. ValiantGLX
Points awarded: 15

2. TexasAggie
Points awarded: 10

3. djdavies83 - We can rebuild it!
Points awarded: 5

4. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

5. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

6. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

7. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

8. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

9. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

10. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

Quad:

1. Bobepine AKA The Fine Line Bobepine
Challenges completed: 10

2. skitchen8 - Addict.
Challenges completed: 5

(Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Plane:

1. Endlesslag - Bring me a shrubbery!!

2. nerys - Grrr :-)

whichwaysup - when down=up, up=expensive
Points awarded: 1

4. tominator06 - Team Hillbilly

5. valiantGLX - The master of disaster

6. new user - OEF 10-11

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

FPV:

1. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

2. (Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

(Your username goes here)
Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:

Points awarded:
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 24, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Aug 27, 2012, 06:46 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Special Challenges

Special challenges will be the ultimate test of your skills, resulting in huge Hall of Fame point payouts. Apart from the HOF points the normal challenge rules apply.

10 HOF points for completing the challenge.
10 HOF points for completing the bonus task.

Heli, open to any heli: Micro Heli Daytona: Setup 2 posts 2 meters apart and then you will have 90 seconds to complete as many laps as possible within the time frame. You will need to perfrom a hovering start in the center of the 2 posts.
Bonus Points: Complete the entire challenge without crashing or touching the posts.

Quad: The Drive by: Fly your quad from the passenge seat of any vehicle while a friend drives.
Bonus Points: Fly through the rear window of the vehicle and land on the backseat, while the vehicle is stationary and you remain in the front passenger seat.

Plane: The Crowd Pleaser: Fly in a "V" formation with at least 2 other micro planes and perform at least one basic manouver while remaining in formation
Bonus Points: Complete the challenge with streamers attached to your planes

FPV: The Dog Fight: Chase another micro flyer in a simulated dog fight.
Bonus Points: Use 2 micro warbirds to complete the challenge.
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 24, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Aug 27, 2012, 07:36 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Current Challenges:

As of the 24th of October 2012

I will try to keep these as up-to-date as possible, but remember there is only so much a Koala can bear.

Heli, open to any heli: The Motorcross Jump: Setup a empty folder for a jump on the floor, or whatever you may have laying around to construct a small jump. Now approach and jump the jump while remaining in ground effect. Try not to use any additional throttle jumping the jump and do not touch the jump with your skids, let the ground effect do all the work

Quad: The Hauler: Attach a hook to your quad. Take off, and pick up an object designed to work with the hook you attached to your quad and transposrt it to a different room in your house. Unload the object and fly back to where you took off from and land.

Plane: Basic training: Perform an inverted loop

FPV: The News Reporter: Record a video of yourself at take off and then track a moving vechicle for as long as you can (at a safe distance of course)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 24, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Aug 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
We can rebuild it!
Video gallery and challenge history coming soon!
Last edited by djdavies83; Aug 29, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Aug 27, 2012, 09:03 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP

Shameless Advertising

To everybody!!!!

I apologise for the shameless advertising everywhere for this thread , but I had to get your attention somehow

I am meerly attempting to kick start the concept of micro flying video challenges once again.

Please tell all your friends about it, and post a link to it in any threads that I missed.

MFG,
Wil
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 27, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Aug 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
Me too ...

Is there a time limit for entries?? in other words, does this challenge have a deadline?
If a particular challenge goes unanswered for over 1 week the person who created the challenge can complete it themselves and if it goes unanswered for 2 weeks, anybody can elect to create a new challenge in that field.

I am open to suggestions though
Aug 27, 2012, 09:32 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
Valiant GLX - Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I was subscribed to the first one and was sorry to see it go quiet. I dont' have the ability to fly, film, and post, but love watching others. A future challenge for the micro's out there - Landings get tougher the smaller the airframe. Would love to see a challenge put up for three CONSECUTIVE (camera constantly rolling) greased landings on micros. NO hope, no bounce, no slapping down on the pavement. Just three wheel to runway, smooth-as-silk touchdowns.
Aug 27, 2012, 09:50 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
Valiant GLX - Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I was subscribed to the first one and was sorry to see it go quiet.
No worries I hope it is enough to re-gain some interest in video challenges.

Quote:
I dont' have the ability to fly, film, and post, but love watching others.
Of course you do...

Step 1. charge up your recording device, whether it is a phone, web cam, video camera, or picture camera with video function (thats what I use)

Step 2. Setup your recording device somewhere where it can film your micro flyer. Sticky tape it to your head if you have to

Step 2.5 (optional). Download a free video editior such as NHC and jazz up your video.

Step 3. Create a free youtube account and upload it.

Step 4. Post it here

Step 5. Get your name on the Hall of Fame

Quote:
A future challenge for the micro's out there - Landings get tougher the smaller the airframe. Would love to see a challenge put up for three CONSECUTIVE (camera constantly rolling) greased landings on micros. NO hope, no bounce, no slapping down on the pavement. Just three wheel to runway, smooth-as-silk touchdowns.
Nice Idea!!! however you best complete the current challenge then you can offically post it
Aug 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX
No worries I hope it is enough to re-gain some interest in video challenges.

Of course you do...

Step 1. charge up your recording device, whether it is a phone, web cam, video camera, or picture camera with video function (thats what I use)

Step 2. Setup your recording device somewhere where it can film your micro flyer. Sticky tape it to your head if you have to

Step 2.5 (optional). Download a free video editior such as NHC and jazz up your video.

Step 3. Create a free youtube account and upload it.

Step 4. Post it here

Step 5. Get your name on the Hall of Fame

Nice Idea!!! however you best complete the current challenge then you can offically post it
What if one can't access youtube?

SS
Aug 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
KDS Innova450SD;NE SoloPro 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX

I am open to suggestions though
Is it not possible that a challenge could go unsolved?
It might be a good idea to only submit a challenge together with the solution. That way we know it is a solvable challenge
Just a thought...

Not that I am near the required skill level to do any of them. Just hoping to some great flying
:-)
Aug 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
What is a "diagonal flip?"

Subscribed.

Best,
Chris
Aug 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
Technomancer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002
What if one can't access youtube?

SS
There's Vimeo, and other video uploaders. If it's a matter of internet connection, go to a friends house, internet cafe or library to upload it. C'mon we live in the 21st century

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstof
Is it not possible that a challenge could go unsolved?
It might be a good idea to only submit a challenge together with the solution. That way we know it is a solvable challenge
Just a thought...

Not that I am near the required skill level to do any of them. Just hoping to some great flying
:-)
After 2 weeks it is possible that a challenge goes unresolved.

And it is a good idea to post a vid of the new challenge to prove that it is possible, I used to do that with my heli vids in the old challenge thread But now with the hall of fame the person who created the challenge can complete it after 1 week to gain an extra point.

Even if your video and/or flying isnt pretty as long as it conforms to the challenge it is a win

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine
What is a "diagonal flip?"

Subscribed.

Best,
Chris
When you jam the ELEV and AILE at the same time to flip/roll on a diagonal axis
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Aug 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
Should we ask Jim T Graham to put a link to this thread on the RCgroups first page? I just asked if he could... waiting for his response.

SS

Quick Reply