Oct 17, 2014, 10:25 PM
I don't have these helicopters but thought I'd chime in even a low powered helis can cause some damage.

I've had a few cuts from a v911. especially if the blades have rough edges.

though ones you get into brusgless even though they are small the high heafspeed guests.

my v977 has left some pretty nasty cuts and bruises mostly not my fault though glitches.

and that's with th hold.

I've been very carefully indoors with my burshless foe that reason.

the v911 though you can get away with thrwoing around but it leaves marks on walls and I guess if you just so it right you could damage something.

I have a 4ft fish tank in.my livingroom so Amy potential crash manouvere away from the fish tank
I don't want 160 liters of water flooding my livingroom.

my PC can take the brunt or the couch or shelf.

but bit the fish tank.

I also don't fly when.my girlfriend is about. after the close encounters I've had
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2014, 11:37 PM
The blade BL kit for main motor of the nanocpx has arrived....brushed motor still fairly new...bonkers! Install new motor and enjoy....
Oct 18, 2014, 10:32 AM
My second Nano was bought cheap with bad board. I did get it flying but board was acting up. Stock motor was good /plus it had a new spare new in package. Sent board to Megas and bought another bl kit. Since I had heli apart never bothered to use stock motor again. My first Nano still had a good motor but again removed it for bl kit. You can save stock motor and give you option to put heli back to stock. not that you would once you fly it bl.
The bl upgrade for me made a better flyer of heli both extra power/ balance.
I think adding a little more mass to heli was helpful. Flight times were not affected. the HH upgrade kit is bonafied plus for me. I have a few Mcp-X V2 tail assemblies but have not needed them for Nano.
Oct 18, 2014, 04:43 PM
Nice, will install Blade BL motor today and airbrush canopy should provide some added extra weight...today I finally got my hands on a can of Tri-Flow....people going to Texas always FORGOT my little request.....saw video of guy doing the change to BL motor....seems pretty straight-forward to me....
Oct 19, 2014, 02:36 PM
http://www.sgvhumane.org/

brushed motor dying?

i've only flown mine about a couple of dozen times since i bought it and in the last few flights she has been showing hiccups in throttle.

1. first time was when the throttle seemed to drop in mid flight and so she lost altitude suddenly.

2. another time, she lost power 1.5 minutes through the flight (not instantaneous but she went down in 2 seconds max). when i waited for a few seconds and tried again she flew back up like nothing had happened.

3. today she throttled up a bit and then stopped and wouldn't start again. i disconnected her, turned off Tx. waited a few seconds. turned on Tx, reconnected. she throttled up fine.

is my stock motor dying already? i had to put a brand new batt on her maybe 5-6 flights ago so i'm pretty sure it ain't the batt. i only have my mcx2 (which is not very demanding on batts) to compare the batt strength on, and the brand new one seems fine on that. both the old and new batts are the stock 25C, 150 mAh batts you get with the nano.

all i do is hover around the house - no 3D or aggressive flying. i'm planning on ordering the brushless upgrade tonight but want to see what you guys think may be the problem. i don't fly for more than 2 min.
Oct 19, 2014, 02:46 PM
Crash n learn
Sounds like what happened to mine just before the motor totally died. Had no problems with the brushless since though, and the original brushed motor lasted about 100 gentle flights.
Oct 19, 2014, 02:51 PM
thanks. so i guess i got bit early. seems i always get "lucky" with the brushed motors, LOL.
Oct 19, 2014, 03:48 PM
My Nano motor started cutting out after thirty something flights. Since that was only less than two weeks after I had purchased it, I called Horizon Hobbies and they sent me a new motor. That motor lasted about a hundred flights. Now I have a BL motor in it. The tail motor lasted about 150 flights.

With the BL motor, I found that I got better performance when I hard wired the esc to the 3 in 1 board. When I had it connected with the stock wires and connectors, I would get motor dropouts, probably due to a dirty original connector and increased wiring resistance. So I removed the esc power wires and soldered new wires from the esc to the 3 in 1 board and then used the original battery connector for power. Much neater layout also without the tangle of wires.
Oct 19, 2014, 03:59 PM
i have had that happen a few times too. Every time, without fail it has turned out to be the battery. Actually i just threw away a battery within the past hour due to that same problem. Now the repairs are complete another fresh battery and all is fine. I don't think the little single cells hold up very well. I have pitched four of them this summer. Some last a good long while, some don't.
Oct 19, 2014, 04:17 PM
@Steve - ok, i'll use another battery and see what happens. likely still gonna order the brushless just so i don't need it and not have it.

@Ben - thanks for the tip. i won't call HH. i have very little faith in brushed motors and would rather just go to brushless. i 'll try the plug'n'play install first before resorting to direct-solder. thanks for the pic.

update: tried new batt. she came to life like when i first flew her. i should have known better to try again with better batts. thanks again, Steve. still buying the brushless upgrade though (its this one? http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Brushles.../dp/B00HS0B0FE) but i will hold off on install until the brushed motor completely craps out.

new question: btw, how do some motors get so demanding? i know my mcx is a weaker heli but i recall a similar issue in planes too even though the motors are still all tiny 1s motors. sorry if this question seems silly but i am typically familiar with 3-4s brushless motors and so my knowledge on 1s power systems is quite weak.

my reasoning is that both mcx2 and nano are the same weight (~28-29 g). different rotor configuration/type/headspeed should not matter - they still should require the same amount of power to keep them aloft (with the same amp draw) at the same altitude in a hover (which is pretty much all i do, indoors). with the same power consumption per second, why is the nano more demanding of batts than the mcx2?
Last edited by cmdl; Oct 19, 2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: update and new question
Oct 19, 2014, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl
...with the same power consumption per second, why is the nano more demanding of batts than the mcx2?
The key is the blades. Fixed pitch birds fly higher lift, lower drag blades but they only work one way. CP birds need symmetrical blades which work upside down as well, but you pay the price in extra drag. That extra drag is where your power goes.

Bill
Oct 19, 2014, 10:02 PM
ah. thanks.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:01 PM
Flying RC Models for 60 years.
Hey Guy's Can you buy the Blade Nano cpx with the Brushless Motors already installed from Horizon. I have years of experience Flying Nitro CP Helicopters and Electric Scratch built Foam 3D Model Airplanes. I really like this Little Helicopter! Any suggestions and other info will be appreciated I have one of the new DX 9 Transmitters.

Thanks
Bobby
Oct 20, 2014, 08:25 AM
Let's FPV in Middle TN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
Hey Guy's Can you buy the Blade Nano cpx with the Brushless Motors already installed from Horizon. I have years of experience Flying Nitro CP Helicopters and Electric Scratch built Foam 3D Model Airplanes. I really like this Little Helicopter! Any suggestions and other info will be appreciated I have one of the new DX 9 Transmitters.

Thanks
Bobby
They don't sell the nCPX with brushless already installed. You would have to buy a used one off the classifieds here if you don't feel like doing the swap yourself. Much cheaper that way if you're willing to buy used,
Oct 20, 2014, 09:28 AM
Any reports on the micro motor warehouse nano cp x motor set beta testing? My main motor is dying, but I'm hoping to hold off on replacing it until I can get a set of these motors.

Quick Reply