Sep 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez
I'm new to RC flying, so maybe this is just normal for the industry.
I feel your pain but what you have to do is really research the bird you plan to buy. I would suggest looking at HeliFreak and all the stickies about the 130X. This bird does have some issues out of the box but if you do your homework before you fly, you will be rewarded with a great flying bird. It sounds like to me the Nano is the bird for you, but make sure the pitch on your blades is level at 50%. It seems that quite a few are not and if you try to fly it that way, you are not going to be happy particularly since you seem to be new at CP. If you aren't sure about any bird that you buy and are not sure what to do, ALWAYS ask for help. There are a lot of experienced heli pilots that will be more than glad to help you.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
Alright I'll buy it just because it's cool looking and I don't like it you can buy it off me. :P
lol sounds good..i could always use 3 since i am putting mine though hell in the house. Ill post a video later but i am doing things i never did with my mcpx like high speed passes around all sorts of objects
Sep 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
Can't get enough
What is the flight times with stock batt?

J
Sep 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli
A

Hot glue works wonders. But i just checked my msr gear is exactly the same as the nano's

I cant fly this thing inside without expo at 100%..you must have fast fingers
Thanks for the tip. I just bought a hot glue gun and haven't used it yet but now I will. Actually, I take it slow in the house because because of the ceiling fan and so much other junk around. I will be using this bird more and more outside because it can take the wind. Flew in a gym this morning but the fluorescent lights blind me and when I practice my flips and rolls, I lose it and hit the floor hard but have always managed to hit TH. A really tough little bird and I think I will be getting another one and a lot more batteries.

Bob
Sep 26, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiguytrem
Hi Bob, Hobbyking have a good price for turnigy 160 mah 30c lipo batteries!!

Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
Don't waste your time and money on those. There is a reason why the price is so low.
I disagree, I bought 10. I've used these in the past on my msr and ultra micro T-28 and didn't have any issues. Granted, the current draw isn't the same on the msr as the nano. I expect my nano to be delivered today. I'm in the process of charger cycling Turnigy 160mah lipos to break them in. I give these tiny lipos the same respect as any other pack I fly. Treat them right and they will last a very long time.

Quote:
LHS just called and said they came in. With the rampant QC issues I'm beginning to have second thoughts though. What makes Blade worth 4x the cost of a similar chingchongmeow heli that has the same or fewer issues with the same or better build quality?
Assuming "rampant QC issues" is a relative phrase to other rc helicopter releases, this nano is FAR from problem prone. The 130X would be the perfect example of a case where QC issues are rampant.

Quote:
I dropped $200 on an SR - can't learn on it because it's a finicky pile of crap, took hours of tweaking to even get the tail to hold (using the term "hold" loosely).
The SR will never be as good as TT or belt driven tail heli, but when I bound both of mine to my DX6i, I was amazed at the performance this thing was capable of. I had not flown a variable pitch tail heli at that point so I didn't know how it's "supposed" to be. But I learned stall turns, flips, rolls and loops on the SR. The SR has it's place at that price point, although with the smaller CP helis available now, I see the SR being retired or only used for scale fuselages like the Huey.

Quote:
Dropped $180 on a DX6i to better tune the SR - still can't learn on it because expo doesn't change the poor design.
It's not a loss, that DX6i is fantastic radio that will, or already has taken you far!

Quote:
Went to a heli show and nearly dropped $280 on a 130x - figured after the SR fiasco it'd be smart to read the 130x thread first and, sure enough, those are a huge bag of quality control issues too.
Totally agree. I felt like blowing up Horizon after I got mine.
Sep 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Tell us more; these are cool, how did you make them?
I designed it with CAD and milled it out of a 1mm black glass plate. This is more flexible then carbon
Its extremly stiff but also light...just put the parts together and fix it with some glue.
The Lipo has the same position and fits perfect in this skid.
I also use the same fixing points at the body...no screws...just mounting as the original one.
I like it because the original is a bulls..t !

Hannes
Last edited by flowmotion; Sep 26, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Sep 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
Those skids look awesome. Any chance of you selling them?
Sep 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
That`s possible.
But the shipping cost are high, i think.
I´m from Germany.

If there are some more guys interested in this, i could make a box with some skids especially for the USA.
So the costs for shipping would be less/part.

Hannes
Sep 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
There have been multiple people in just the few days this thing has been out that went into a LHS, pulled a random heli out of a box and it had issues. I'd call that rampant QC problems, especially when Eflite is claiming they're all test flown.

Here's my concern...

I dropped $200 on an SR - can't learn on it because it's a finicky pile of crap, took hours of tweaking to even get the tail to hold (using the term "hold" loosely).

Dropped $180 on a DX6i to better tune the SR - still can't learn on it because expo doesn't change the poor design.

Thought a $130 MSRX would be a better learning heli - spent four days, six blade grips, and a canopy just getting the thing to fly forward for more than ten feet without porpoising to the moon, even still it's forever hampered by faulty FBL programming which is teaching me bad habits rather than good ones.

Went to a heli show and nearly dropped $280 on a 130x - figured after the SR fiasco it'd be smart to read the 130x thread first and, sure enough, those are a huge bag of quality control issues too.

So here I am again doing the "well maybe if I spend another $150 on this one it will actually be properly functional". I'm just a little concerned, that's all. If I drop $60 on a chingchongmeow heli from HK I'm ok with ironing the issues out myself or dealing with some quirks, but if I'm going to drop $150 on 0.2 oz of plastic, a tiny circuit board, and some glue that's labeled RTF, I just want it to function as designed without days of tweaking and another $50 in mods. Asking too much, maybe? I'm new to RC flying, so maybe this is just normal for the industry.
I can't speak to the SR, but I can tell you that if you are taking this hobby seriously at all, the dx6i is an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. I had one for like 3 months and then got a DX8. I have the MSRx and love it, use it for practicing FFF and indoor flying where I don't want to worry about damaging anything if I hit it. I agree sometimes it gets goofy but I think it's related to rudder input, I never have any trouble flying it in forward flight as long as I stay away from rudder and only use it in turns. I also have the 130x and with some tweaking it's a great little bird. I did replace some of the bearings to smooth things out, but all in all it's extremely stable and so much more capable than micros with motors on the tail. MCPx is still the sweet spot up until the nano, they really got that one right. For me the nano is even better, it's more durable than the MCPx, even less money, and flies in even less space, plus I'm not afraid of it like I am the MCPx (that thing will CUT you especially with a brushless upgrade!).

The key to Horizon products is that if push comes to shove, they make things right. Example, I got one of the UMX Migs and it was having a problem with the ailerons going to full deflection randomly, I made do with it until it went into a tree and got munched. Sent it back to them and in less than a week they sent me a brand new plane. Good luck getting that service from one of the chinese places...

Tom
Sep 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy
I feel your pain but what you have to do is really research the bird you plan to buy. I would suggest looking at HeliFreak and all the stickies about the 130X. This bird does have some issues out of the box but if you do your homework before you fly, you will be rewarded with a great flying bird. It sounds like to me the Nano is the bird for you, but make sure the pitch on your blades is level at 50%. It seems that quite a few are not and if you try to fly it that way, you are not going to be happy particularly since you seem to be new at CP. If you aren't sure about any bird that you buy and are not sure what to do, ALWAYS ask for help. There are a lot of experienced heli pilots that will be more than glad to help you.

Bob
The first one I pulled out of the box at the LHS had the ball links of the swashplate bent up about 30 degrees above the 45 which gave it a ton of negative pitch at center stick. I flew it first without looking and noticed how little collective it had, so when I went to check the swash that's when I noticed it. VERY thin plastic as well, you have to be really careful with it and I think some may have had the ball links pushed on too forcefully which bends them up resulting in negative pitch. 2nd one was spot on and flew great so I went with that one.

Tom
Sep 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all
The first one I pulled out of the box at the LHS had the ball links of the swashplate bent up about 30 degrees above the 45 which gave it a ton of negative pitch at center stick. I flew it first without looking and noticed how little collective it had, so when I went to check the swash that's when I noticed it. VERY thin plastic as well, you have to be really careful with it and I think some may have had the ball links pushed on too forcefully which bends them up resulting in negative pitch. 2nd one was spot on and flew great so I went with that one.

Tom
Yep, that why it pays to do your homework. Makes life so much more pleasant.

Bob
Sep 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
Gettin back into it!!
What is the wt of the set?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmotion
I designed it with CAD and milled it out of a 1mm black glass plate. This is more flexible then carbon
Its extremly stiff but also light...just put the parts together and fix it with some glue.
I also use the same fixing points at the body...no screws...just mounting as the original one.

Hannes
Sep 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Quote:

Hannes
Gotta love creative people. This is just awesome! You have potential for designing your own micro-heli!
Sep 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
That`s possible.
But the shipping cost are high, i think.
I´m from Germany.

If there are some more guys interested in this, i could make a box with some skids especially for the USA.
So the costs for shipping would be less/part.

Hannes
its flat ... well, the parts are, anyway - so just put it on some thin cardboard and in a regular letter - takes 4 days to US and is about 2€ (if at all ... might wanna check at post office)
Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Sep 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'll check this

Quick Reply