Oct 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
The ad from HobbyKing referenced above is WRONG. There are 3 small battery connectors used in the E-Flite line of Ultra Micro planes and helis. Starting with the smallest connector is the UM (Ultra Micro) also known as a Pico connector. It is a 2 pin connector used in MSR/MCX/MCX2/nano CP X/ Champ/Vapor/UM T-28, etc.
The next larger connector is the JST-PH 2 pin. It is also sometimes shown as the JST-PH2 or a MCPX connector. This connector is used in the MCPX heli, and a few planes.
The largest of the 3 battery connectors is the JST-PH 3 pin. It is also sometimes shown as the JST-PH3 or a UMX connector. This connector is used in the UMX Beast plane.
Please note that I am only talking about the smaller connectors used by E-Flite/ Parkzone etc. The larger Deans/ EC3/ APP/EC5 and other connectors are better discussed in other threads. Connectors can be a very confusing topic.
Last edited by Scarface26; Oct 14, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2012, 12:42 PM
Does the nCP X work with Walkera radios running the Deviation TX firmware?
Oct 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
Guys, how long does a battery last if I am flying normal calm MCX-style, no 3D maneuvers?
Oct 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimastep
Guys, how long does a battery last if I am flying normal calm MCX-style, no 3D maneuvers?
Once the battery and motors have a few runs on them, about 4 minutes or just over is what I am getting.
Oct 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dway
Once the battery and motors have a few runs on them, about 4 minutes or just over is what I am getting.
Hm...not much
MCX can easily go twice that long.
Oct 14, 2012, 03:44 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide
Does the nCP X work with Walkera radios running the Deviation TX firmware?
The nCP X uses a Spektrum DSM2/DSMX receiver, just like all of the other Blade RTF & BNF birds. Check the Deviation website & forum to see what they say about compatibility. BTW - running firmware in a tx that alters the modulation scheme and/or RF output is illegal in most countries. I suggest checking to be sure that the firmware is legal in your country. For instance - in the US, it is a very serious violation (felony) of FCC rules to make non-FCC type-accepted modifications to any transmitter.

Quote:
Hm...not much
This is to be expected. The mCX has but a fraction of the power, a top-speed of only 2-3 MPH, and is incapable of aerobatics. The nCPX is a high-performance 3D heli.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 14, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Oct 14, 2012, 04:00 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
Hm...not much
My son can fly the Champ for about 15 minutes or more on a single 150mAh battery. It is actually quite amazing how long a battery lasts with it if you are mellow on the throttle...but just like the mcx you cant compare the two for power usage

I get about 3 minutes on the nano and I am quite happy with that for what I can do with it
Oct 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker

This is to be expected. The mCX has but a fraction of the power, a top-speed of only 2-3 MPH, and is incapable of aerobatics. The nCPX is a high-performance 3D heli.

Joel
Yeah, I agree in 3D aerobatics mode. But if I were to fly it "like an old man" (for argument's sake), would it not last longer?
Oct 14, 2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I agree in 3D aerobatics mode. But if I were to fly it "like an old man" (for argument's sake), would it not last longer?
The manual says 3 minutes for agressive flying, 4 minutes for milder flying.
Latest blog entry: Crash Compilation
Oct 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
lol. If you get a 160mah battery and fly like an old man, you could probably push 5 or 6 minutes.

Please don't ask me how I know that......
Oct 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
It does last longer. 3 minutes of aerobatics vs 4 minutes of sport-flying. But expecting the flight-time of a high-performance CP 3D heli (even when flown very conservatively) to be similar to that of a similar-weight, extremely low-performance FP coaxial bird when flown aggressively is similar to expecting the the gas mileage of a Ferrari F12berlinetta driven as if there were an egg under the gas pedal to be similar to that of, say, a Toyota Camry with a 4-banger when driven aggressively (the cars are of similar weight). However, things very rarely work out that way - due to differences in efficiency. For instance - the nCP X uses symmetrical blades, while the mCX uses undercambered blades. The mCX has a very low headspeed, while the nCP X has a much higher headspeed. Therefore, the nCP X requires more input power to the rotor just to hover & fly around, even though the birds weigh about the same.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 14, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Oct 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
I look at it this way when flying a CP heli. If I haven't crashed it in 4 minutes, it's time to put it down cause it's going to happen if I fly much longer. Plus that motor needs to cool for 5 minutes at that point anyway.

I went ahead and ordered mine and got off the fence. I figured I have wasted at lease this much money on junk that won't fly or won't fly well. I need to get something that flies nice. I'll just be hovering and flying circuits and practicing my coordinated turns so that by the time I actually get a 450 in the air, I'll have much better chances of keeping it in the air. Money well spent, plus I can take it everywhere.
Oct 14, 2012, 05:46 PM
Seven 001 silicone o-rings seem to help. I replaced the three black rings on the lower swash, and put an additional ring on each end of each link.
Oct 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
Luck is my skill
Quote:
Hm...not much
If you have a computerized radio, you can experiment lowering the throttle curve and trying non semetrical blades ... but then why not just fly an msr or an mcx?
Oct 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
It does last longer. 3 minutes of aerobatics vs 4 minutes of sport-flying. But expecting the flight-time of a high-performance CP 3D heli (even when flown very conservatively) to be similar to that of a similar-weight, extremely low-performance FP coaxial bird when flown aggressively is similar to expecting the the gas mileage of a Ferrari F12berlinetta driven as if there were an egg under the gas pedal to be similar to that of, say, a Toyota Camry with a 4-banger when driven aggressively (the cars are of similar weight). However, things very rarely work out that way - due to differences in efficiency. For instance - the nCP X uses symmetrical blades, while the mCX uses undercambered blades. The mCX has a very low headspeed, while the nCP X has a much higher headspeed. Therefore, the nCP X requires more input power to the rotor just to hover & fly around, even though the birds weigh about the same.

Joel
That's actually a very good analogy and good explanation. Thanks!