Blade nano CPX - even smaller than the mCPX! - Page 272 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jan 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
Heli's rule!
dacaur's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I have with the mSR & mCPX, but not with this bird - yet. It acts like a bent shaft - but c/f doesn't bend. I call it a 'sprung' shaft. It's caused by hairline cracks & separated fibers.

Joel
Its tru CF doesnt bend (well, you can bend it, but it will always go back straight, unless you crack/break it)

But it is possible that the shaft was slightly bent during the MFG process, If its made bent, it will always be bent.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2013, 02:40 PM
Registered User
Anyone have trouble with Thunder Power 160 mAh batteries in the Nano? I used to use these with my msr all the time and they worked great. They're 25C so they should be the same as the stock Eflight batteries. When I use them in my Nano power seems to come in and out. I've tried several different batteries (I have a bunch of the TPs) and it seems to happen with all of them. Is this already a known thing?
Jan 26, 2013, 03:49 PM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
Its tru CF doesnt bend (well, you can bend it, but it will always go back straight, unless you crack/break it)

But it is possible that the shaft was slightly bent during the MFG process, If its made bent, it will always be bent.
Good point. However - in my case, the shafts had been sprung from being 'stress-tested' one time too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75
Anyone have trouble with Thunder Power 160 mAh batteries in the Nano? I used to use these with my msr all the time and they worked great. They're 25C so they should be the same as the stock Eflight batteries. When I use them in my Nano power seems to come in and out. I've tried several different batteries (I have a bunch of the TPs) and it seems to happen with all of them. Is this already a known thing?
I'm using a few fresh TP 160s & they work well. This heli requires good batts that are in good health. If yours are old & tired, or have been abused from being discharged deeper than 80%, being routinely stored at full-charge, or being used in extremely cold temps, they won't work in this bird.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Jan 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
Registered User
JLink125's Avatar
My TP 160's are only ok at best, power is noticeably lower then my eflights and hyperions, I love my Hyperion 160's! They have quite a bit of punch, maybe more then the stock eflights.
Jan 26, 2013, 06:07 PM
Heli's rule!
dacaur's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75
Anyone have trouble with Thunder Power 160 mAh batteries in the Nano? I used to use these with my msr all the time and they worked great. They're 25C so they should be the same as the stock Eflight batteries. When I use them in my Nano power seems to come in and out. I've tried several different batteries (I have a bunch of the TPs) and it seems to happen with all of them. Is this already a known thing?
yea if they are fairly old (a year or more) Its not surprising they are not up to it. the nano uses a LOT more power than the MSR.... even tired old 25C packs will fly an MSR, but wont do on the nano...
Jan 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
Registered User
i812's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75
Anyone have trouble with Thunder Power 160 mAh batteries in the Nano? I used to use these with my msr all the time and they worked great. They're 25C so they should be the same as the stock Eflight batteries. When I use them in my Nano power seems to come in and out. I've tried several different batteries (I have a bunch of the TPs) and it seems to happen with all of them. Is this already a known thing?
I don't think a LiPo defect would cause intermittent power. I'm guessing the cause to intermittent power would probably be more likely from intermittent electrical connection(s) due to vibrations and/or maybe one of the Motor's tiny hair-like metal brush "fingers" broke or melted off and is bouncing inside the Motor causing intermittent problems?
Jan 26, 2013, 06:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812
I don't think a LiPo defect would cause intermittent power. I'm guessing the cause to intermittent power would probably be more likely from intermittent electrical connection(s) due to vibrations and/or maybe one of the Motor's tiny hair-like metal brush "fingers" broke or melted off and is bouncing inside the Motor causing intermittent problems?
It causes the Nano to shut down and then come back on when you stick a battery in there that it doesn't like. I think it hits LVC and shuts off, then the battery looks fine so it comes back on. Anyway you solve it by using a better battery. My E-flite batteries and the Hyperion 160s seem to be reliable.
Jan 26, 2013, 06:27 PM
Registered User
seeingeyegod's Avatar
I was just flying outside for the first time with my new nano, its about 45 degrees out. My first battery I started getting the above described cutting out behavior after about 3 minutes give or take. Twice I hit TH and it didn't work, which made the nano do the "headless chicken dance" unceremoniously. Luckily no damage. I think the battery was just too cold. The second battery I set my timer for about 3:30 to account for the temp and it was fine. Tail wagging is starting to get annoying. Gonna take it to the LHS where I picked it up and show them what it does and see what they think.
Jan 26, 2013, 06:34 PM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125
My TP 160's are only ok at best, power is noticeably lower then my eflights and hyperions, I love my Hyperion 160's! They have quite a bit of punch, maybe more then the stock eflights.
I also prefer my Hyp 160s over the other UM form-factor cells. However, there is a big difference in performance between the Hyp 160 UM cells and the Hyp 180 'flatpack' cells - despite the relatively small difference in capacity. The Hyp 180s have considerably lower internal resistance. Could be due to the different form-factor. I'm going to pick up a Hyp 180 & 240 mount from Dylan so I can use the fist-full of Hyp 180s & 240s I bought for my mCPX - which I haven't flown since the 130X came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod
I was just flying outside for the first time with my new nano, its about 45 degrees out. My first battery I started getting the above described cutting out behavior after about 3 minutes give or take. Twice I hit TH and it didn't work, which made the nano do the "headless chicken dance" unceremoniously. Luckily no damage. I think the battery was just too cold. The second battery I set my timer for about 3:30 to account for the temp and it was fine. Tail wagging is starting to get annoying. Gonna take it to the LHS where I picked it up and show them what it does and see what they think.
How cold was it?

Joel
Jan 26, 2013, 06:38 PM
Heli's rule!
dacaur's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod
I was just flying outside for the first time with my new nano, its about 45 degrees out. My first battery I started getting the above described cutting out behavior after about 3 minutes give or take. Twice I hit TH and it didn't work, which made the nano do the "headless chicken dance" unceremoniously. Luckily no damage. I think the battery was just too cold. The second battery I set my timer for about 3:30 to account for the temp and it was fine. Tail wagging is starting to get annoying. Gonna take it to the LHS where I picked it up and show them what it does and see what they think.
Yea, when the voltage drops so low the reciver shuts down, it will just keep going for a bit at the last throttle setting.... happens on all the 1 cells UM's I have if you go too far,....
Jan 26, 2013, 06:49 PM
Registered User
seeingeyegod's Avatar
about 40-45F, cold enough to degrade a non prewarmed battery.
Jan 26, 2013, 07:46 PM
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod
about 40-45F, cold enough to degrade a non prewarmed battery.
Yeah, that would do it. And there is a big difference in cold-wx performance between the various brands.

Joel
Jan 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
perschek's Avatar
Garggghhhh. Please someone give me a technique using this darn elmers glue to get the feathering spindle to stay. Keeps loosening. Any idea what the stock black glue is?
Jan 26, 2013, 08:21 PM
Registered User
This is really weird. I think two of the TP 160s were old and tired like folks suggested above. So I'm going to retire them. These were the batteries that were causing the heli to go in and out of power (like it was hitting the LVC as jasmine suggested).

The other TP 160s don't cause the power issues, but they cause the heli to shake and tail wag. The stock batteries don't do this. Not sure why batteries would cause shakes or tail wag. They fit into the holder well so it's not like they're loose and rattling around.

I guess I'll just retire those as well or keep them for the msr...
Jan 26, 2013, 08:27 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Aphro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek
Garggghhhh. Please someone give me a technique using this darn elmers glue to get the feathering spindle to stay. Keeps loosening. Any idea what the stock black glue is?
I have just went with some CA. I put a small drop on a tooth pick and then dab the nut/threads. It's been holding solid and breaks free when I need to remove it. I use the BSI Extra Thick Maxi-Cure ca. So it stays were I put it in a nice little ball and doesn't flow at all. I wouldn't try it with thin ca as it could flow into the threads and even your bearings

JUST TO CLARIFY!!! THIS GOES ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE NUT/THREADS AFTER YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE NUT... NOT BEFORE YOU SCREW THE NUT ON... THAT WOULD MOST LIKELY MAKE THE INSTALLATION PERMANENT!!!
Last edited by Aphro; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:33 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Walkera MiNi CP - Smallest 100 sized 3D helicopter zadaw Micro Helis 6166 Nov 19, 2016 11:57 PM
Discussion is there anything better than mcpx v2 at same or smaller size? Legendary_Agent 3D Electric Heli Flying 33 Feb 24, 2012 08:46 PM
Question Whatís Better than a Blade CP and Smaller than a Trex? HavingFun2002 Micro Helis 74 Mar 05, 2006 05:07 PM